DVDVR Message Board

Exile on Badstreet Episodes Thread

KrisZ

I loved the Japan Hall of Fame episode. Dylan and Alan's opinions on Taue and Akiyama were so spot on with my own that it was eerie. I particularly enjoyed the analysis on Akiyama as a lot of those points are ones that I think people somehow don't realize about him, about the massive body of work he's put together and how it would compare to wrestlers of previous generations in terms of scope. I also go back and forth on Nagata so hearing the same kind of discussion regarding him from two points of view I found interesting.

bluepanther.jpg

Kris is joined by The Cubs Fan (Luchablog) & Alfredo Esparza (Lucha World) to discuss the Lucha Libre candidates on the 2015 Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame ballot. We talk about who should’ve been in already with some maybe even on the first induction list and we go over the cases of some of the modern guys and how they stack up against each other both good and bad. If you are a fan of Lucha Libre or if you are a voter that needs some swaying this show is a must listen!!!!​

http://placetobenation.com/exile-on-badstreet-16-2015-won-hof-lucha-candidates/

nwo.jpg

Kris & David are joined by Michael Rogalewski to discuss the week that was September 29-October 5, 1996 which features WWF in turmoil in New York City, comings and goings in Japan, Konnan vs. Antonio Pena at a tipping point, ECW getting red hot, and the early days of the nWo aren’t as great as we remember. This is a damn good show!!!

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-11-september-29-october-5-1996/

I just wanted to jump in and express how much I love Between the Sheets, but I pretty much will listen to any podcast that has Kris, Loss, Dylan, or Will on it in general. In fact, all wrestling podcasts should have those guys. I have been learning a ton of history, and because we live in the YouTube Era, I've seen a lot of cool stuff that I've watched as a result of Between the Sheets and the WON HOF shows. Thanks for you work on these!

pillmanBTS.jpg

Kris & David are guestless this week but we have a tremendous show talking about the week that was October 6-12, 1997. We discuss the death of Brian Pillman and how badly it was handled by the WWF, the beginning of DeGeneration X, Jim Cornette = angry man, all kinds of Japan goodness such as the debut of PRIDE, Paul Heyman correcting Wade Keller, and the sheer madness of an Eric Bischoff chat on Prodigy!!!!!!!!

http://placetobenati...ober-6-12-1997/

Re: Magic Man

The story I remember with Magic Man was that Magic Man ended up showing up at one of the shows where the MPro guys where appearing. So Magic Man I think showed them a bunch of his magic tricks and they were so impressed, they ended signing him. Of course, one of my favorite bad Magic Man match where he hypnotizes Shinzaki, when he's under, Magic Man does a whacky dancing routine and then shakes Shinzaki out of it and gets destroyed.

RE: Hakushi

I think they had Shinzaki bury the Hakushi gimmick following the Great Muta match, I think his gear was still blood stained from the Muta match.

RE: Delfin's theme

I think it's Senor Perfecto

Freedom Dogs

I think the deal was they had to prove themselves, they eventually get accepted and end up hitting their moves on I think Chono and Tenzan and go off on their own. It would be like if Nash and Hall allowed the Nasty Boys to lay them out.

RE: Anjo

Anjo got the Mr. 200% nickname because he promised he would beat Rickson 200%. Well, you covered how well that turned out.

RE: Flair jumps to WWF

It would be interesting if Flair comes in and the dynamic. The question is do they put him with Rocky (who was a huge fan) or would that have pushed him down the line.

RE: Ashley comment about Syxx's impersonation of Flair - hilarious

RE: Bobby Eaton

I remember they never were using Bobby, it was one of those WCW deals where they more or less had guys on a contract that they were paying to do nothing. I remember Paul Heyman trying to convince WCW to let him use Eaton on non-televised matches so he could work their young guys like Chetti, Doring, Roadkill so they could learn, but they weren't going to let him go.

magnumtully.jpg

Kris & David are joined Bruce Mitchell (Pro Wrestling Torch) to discuss the week that was October 13-19, 1986. We discuss the tragic car wreck that ended Magnum T.A.’s career in the ring and how the territory was affected from it. We also discuss the impending departure of Hacksaw Jim Duggan from the UWF, the return of Roddy Piper to the WWF, Riki Choshu to WWF?, and Mad Dog Vachon in his new role in life as……INSPECTOR GOURMET!!!!!!

Time stamps:
0:00:00 Jim Crockett Promotions
0:52:37 UWF & WCCW
1:29:50 International: AJPW, NJPW, EMLL, & Lutte International
1:56:56 Other U.S.: AWA, CWA/Memphis, Championship Wrestling from Florida, Hawaii, ICW, L.A. Lucha, & Portland
2:27:13 WWF

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-ep-13-october-13-19-1986/

sandmanfamily.jpg

Kris is joined by Rob Bihari & Joe Lanza (Voices of Wrestling) to discuss the evolution of the live wrestling audience. We discuss the early beginnings of the wrestling chants and how ECW played a major factor in it but weren’t the true genesis. We also discuss our favorite wrestling towns and venues as well as live experiences which are worldwide. We also put WWE on blast on how they can make their product more appealing to their fans. This is a great show and if you love or hate the wrestling chant culture this is a must listen!!!

http://placetobenation.com/exile-on-badstreet-17-the-crowd-goes-wild/

takaa.jpg

Kris & David are joined by Chad Campbell (Where the Big Boys Play) to discuss the week that was October 20-26, 1990. We talk about some shakeups in the WWF both in and out of the ring, we discuss the return of Tatsumi Fujinami from a years absence, the debut of M.C. Jammer, Jerry Lawler’s hatred of beer, Jim Cornette and more legal issues, plus a special brief history of the Atlanta, Georgia Strip Club Culture!!!!!!!

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-14-october-20-26-1990/

Technical question:

I'm taking a flight in a couple of days and wanted to download some back podcasts for this show and a couple others on PTBN directly to my phone. Some of them have direct download links, but others only link to a SoundCloud streaming audio file, which I can't play in my shitty, no-wi-fi-having coach section. Is there a link to an archive that has direct download links for all of the shows that PWO does for PTBN? I looked around on my phone, but I certainly could have missed it.

Thanks for the help in advance if anyone knows the answer. 

ArnAnderson011.jpg

Kris & David are joined by Kurt Brown (Lucha World) to discuss the week that was October 27-November 2, 1993. We discuss the legendary Arn Anderson vs. Sid Vicious hotel room brawl and the huge aftermath that followed, we also discuss the death of Oro who was on the verge of becoming the next big star in Lucha Libre, and we also discuss the storm that is brewing involving the WWF and their links to steroids!!!!

http://placetobenati...ovember-2-1993/

invader-1.jpg

Kris is joined by Dylan Hales (Wrestling Culture) & El Boricua (Pro Wrestling Only) to discuss the career of Jose Gonzalez aka Invader I. Everyone knows about the Bruiser Brody tragedy but this show isn’t about that as discuss his career inside the ring and all of the great matches and angles he was involved in. This show was originally going to focus on numerous guys but we got so involved with Invader that a single show just for him was the right thing to do. This show is a must listen!!!!!

http://placetobenation.com/exile-on-badstreet-18-requiem-for-the-invader/

Can I tell you how much I love these podcasts!  I've watched the Sheepherders vs Colon/Invader Ambulance Match and the Invader/Super Black Ninja matches this morning and was totally blown away by the crowd heat.  I totally recommend this series for anyone serious about learning wrestling history.

savage94.jpg

Kris & David are joined by “Dr. Lucha” Steve Sims (Figure Four Weekly) to discuss the week that was November 3-9, 1994. We discuss Randy Savage quitting the WWF, Antonio Inoki’s dream of a fight with George Foreman, a full rundown of maybe the greatest PPV ever “When Worlds Collide”, Sabu has a real November to Remember, & Greg Gagne dancing like a Native American!!!!!!!!!

Time Stamps:
0:00:00 WWF
0:51:42 Japan: AJPW, NJPW, WAR, & AJW
1:31:48 Mexico: AAA, EMLL, & UWA
2:35:13 Other USA: AWF, ECW, NWA Dallas, Potpourri, SMW, & USWA
3:17:43 WCW

ArnAnderson011.jpg

Kris & David are joined by Kurt Brown (Lucha World) to discuss the week that was October 27-November 2, 1993. We discuss the legendary Arn Anderson vs. Sid Vicious hotel room brawl and the huge aftermath that followed, we also discuss the death of Oro who was on the verge of becoming the next big star in Lucha Libre, and we also discuss the storm that is brewing involving the WWF and their links to steroids!!!!

http://placetobenati...ovember-2-1993/

Love Kurt's contributions to this one. Re masked commentators, I'm 99% sure Alcatraz' color commentator (Principe Valiente?) was masked as well.

Poor poor Bert. So many double entendres...

ecwn2r96-600x359.jpg

Kris & David are joined by Dave Prazak (SHIMMER) to discuss the week that was November 10-16, 1996. We discuss Curt Hennig jumping to WCW and how WCW botched most of the guys that jumped in this era. We also discuss Great Sasuke’s influence on wrestling, Chris Jericho’s adventures in Japan, Antonio Pena losing his mind over La Parka jumping to Promo Azteca/WCW, ECW with a memorable November to Remember, and Randy Savage in WWF in 1996…it almost happened….this is a LONG but AWESOME show!!!!!

Time stamps:
0:00:00 Intro/Nick Bockwinkel talk
0:20:14 WCW
1:15:06 Japan: AJPW, FMW, Michinoku Pro, & NJPW
1:56:01 Mexico: AAA, EMLL, & Promo Azteca
2:21:40 Potpourri
2:36:29 ECW & USWA
3:41:15 WWF

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-17-november-10-16-1996/