DVDVR Message Board

A thread for PS+/PSN Deals

Tabe

I notice that PES 2014 is going to be released next month. Never seen a footy game on PS+ here in Europe, haven't played one since like FIFA 11 or something stupid.

Kinda looking forward to it. 

Supposedly Driveclub has a date of like Sept 30.

That's what's on Amazon, but I tend to greatly distrust any release date on the last day of a quarter until I see a press release.

The unexplained delay of Strike Suit Zero for the US but not EU makes me suspect that I was wrong about Merc Kings being next month's freebie.  Both are ports of fairly successful indie games launching (well, presumably) on 4/1, but SSZ is the stronger graphical showcase and would make more sense from that angle.  In the end, I know it's pointless to try to predict this shit, I'm just annoyed that the two indie titles I actually wanted this month were both pushed out of their announced launch window despite being complete and I'm hoping one of them is the freebie. 

PSN has Thief on sale today for $30.  I'm tempted, but with just upgrading to +, my backlog's roughly at 5 games already.  

In a few months, $30 for Thief will be the standard retail price. By November of this year, I suspect it will be $20.

The game didn't review well and most people hated it when they played it.

Trade secrets and all, and we lowly mortals will never know, but I'd be very curious to hear about the economics of PS+ from a publisher/developer standpoint.  How much does Sony pay for a Tomb Raider (AAA game 12 months ago that's now down to $20 in most places) versus a brand-new $15 indie that's going free on its launch?  What about something like XCOM, which never had the sales of a Tomb Raider but went up for a whole year, significantly earlier in its life cycle?  (The fact that XCOM is the only third-party game to go on the E3-E3 list seems significant.)

The thing that really interests me is the PS4 games.  So far every PS4 Plus freebie has been free for its first month of release.  At this point in the system's life cycle, that means you're going to get basically zero sales in your launch window.  I would hope that Sony are paying enough for those to make them profitable or close to it, but I doubt that's actually the case.  I'd love to hear an insider talk about this sort of thing in a way that doesn't violate NDAs etc., but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Weren't they supposed to announce the Instant Collection list yesterday?  

Although looking around, looks like the additions to PS3 will be PES 2014 and Sly Cooper.  Both of which I'll end up picking up, since I can't argue with a free footy game.

EDIT: Disregard, Sony announced it.  

PS4:

Mercenary Kings

PS3:

Batman: Arkham City

Stealth Inc. - A Clone in the Dark

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Vita:

Velocity Ultra

Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate HD

Already got Arkham City, although if I DL it, I can trade the disc in .  Castle of Illusion is a pickup, Stealth Inc looks like I'd enjoy it, especially for Free.

I already have two of the PS3 titles. Knew that Castle would eventually be free but didn't wait.

Haven't heard of Merc Kings but the above description sounds awesome.

Already got Arkham City, although if I DL it, I can trade the disc in .  Castle of Illusion is a pickup, Stealth Inc looks like I'd enjoy it, especially for Free.

I did this with Demon's Souls and think I will with Arkham as well.

This week's freebie in the US:

Stealth: A Clone in the Dark (PS3, Vita) - no clue about this one

I gave Mercenary Kings a really, really brief try last week in the 5 minutes I wasn't sleeping or eating and thought it awful.  The tutorial level dropped me into a spot that - literally - there was no way out of as the very first thing.  Well done, guys.  Extremely long load times, bad graphics, a player customization screen where my player is so small I can barely see him (thanks to making it a four-player screen), and so on.  Yuck.  I'll give it another try but right now this is a massive disappointment.

I just got a Vita, finally (used off Ebay, I am cheap).  But I plan on buying no games if I can, so I need PS Plus to amuse me.  But I love the Monster Hunter games and for some reason Uncharted is still free, so I am good to go for at least a few months.

This week's freebie in the US:

Stealth: A Clone in the Dark (PS3, Vita) - no clue about this one

I gave Mercenary Kings a really, really brief try last week in the 5 minutes I wasn't sleeping or eating and thought it awful.  The tutorial level dropped me into a spot that - literally - there was no way out of as the very first thing.  Well done, guys.  Extremely long load times, bad graphics, a player customization screen where my player is so small I can barely see him (thanks to making it a four-player screen), and so on.  Yuck.  I'll give it another try but right now this is a massive disappointment.

The graphics are very much a matter of taste.  I thought the same design style was super charming on Scott Pilgrim (which kind of HAD to go the hi-res-lo-res route since it was aping specific "sprite" art from the comics), and while I don't feel it works as well for MK 'bad' doesn't feel right to me.  I will absolutely NOT argue in favor of the character select screen or the load times, both of which are monstrous bullshit.  It took me a while to get the hang of the game, but now that I have I'm enjoying it.

Pretty excited for Stealth Inc. tomorrow since i nearly bought it last fall but passed, and because I need a new lunch-break Vita game. 20% off on SSZ also makes me happy since I was gonna buy it anyway, but I think it's gonna have a very limited audience on PS4; people who have a fondness for the genre will have probably bought it for $2 on Steam.

This week's US update:

Free

- Castle of Illusion (PS3) - beautiful remake of the original Genesis classic, held back by floaty, imprecise, unresponsive controls.  Worth a download.

Discounts

- lots of discounts for Lego titles

- a bunch of discounts for Pure Chess for the PS4.  Every system seems to get one or two but... does anybody really buy chess games for consoles?  I say that as somebody who's bought lots of them for computers.