DVDVR Message Board

A thread for PS+/PSN Deals

Tabe

Jumping Tabe's gun while I wait for work to be assigned:

This week's freebie is Modnation Racers Vita, and the sale is a fucking monster. Fables season pass for $9, TWD Season 2 pass for $10, WWE 2014 for $30, Dragon's Crown for $17.50 and Injustice GOTY for $24 on consoles and $14 on Vita (a better deal than the one I bemoaned missing two weeks back)

Since Cliff Hanger stole my gimmick for the week, lemme give you the rumored freebies for March:

Dead Nation (PS4)

Tomb Raider (PS3)

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)

Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate HD (Vita)

Smart As (Vita)

A pretty "meh" selection, IMHO. 

Apparently the real March list is:

Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition (PS4)
Tomb Raider (PS3)
Thomas Was Alone (PS3)
Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut (PS3)
Unit 13 (PS Vita)
Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite (PS Vita)

Not great, but it's 3 PS3 games I've been curious to try but didn't want to pay for.

• Like 1

Let's see. Ps4 version of a good PS3 game, a PS3 game that got good reviews but burned out quick in the market (and which I just got on PS4), an indie darling, and one game each for PSP and Vita that lean so heavy on multiplayer as to be pointless alone.

But hey, Dead Nation is cool.

Apparently the real March list is:

Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition (PS4)

Tomb Raider (PS3)

Thomas Was Alone (PS3)

Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut (PS3)

Unit 13 (PS Vita)

Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite (PS Vita)

Not great, but it's 3 PS3 games I've been curious to try but didn't want to pay for.

I don't remember Thomas or Lone Survivor.  Will have to check those out.

This list is a lot better than the previously-leaked one, that's for sure.

Just watched some clips of Dead Nation.  Didn't realize it was done by the guys who made Resogun.  It's yet another twin stick shooter but I'm all over it.  Big fail on them for misusing an apostrophe in their trailer video though.  "Your viewer's decide your fate" instead of "Your viewers".  Yeah, I'm pedantic like that.

Now I remember Thomas Was Alone.  It's the "oooh look, my game is so artistic I use an Atari 2600 pixel block for my character" game.  PASS.

Lone Survivor is yet another in the making-16-bit-graphic games.  Might give it a shot but doesn't particularly interest me.

I should mention I'm not really a graphics snob - I swear.  But I definitely don't like it when developers, even indie ones, do the lazy or hipster thing and give their games crappy graphics intentionally.

I should mention I'm not really a graphics snob - I swear.  But I definitely don't like it when developers, even indie ones, do the lazy or hipster thing and give their games crappy graphics intentionally.

I think it's a matter of context.  It works in Mega Man 9-10 because those are literally an attempt to make "new" NES games, with most of the same limitations deliberately in place as a way to reinforce that.  It works for Scott Pilgrim, because it's a game based on a comic which is itself a love letter to 8- and 16-bit brawlers.  Putting in polygonal representations of the comic designs or the movie cast would've been a disaster.  But when it's done for no reason, it can be pretty annoying.

On a semi-related note, I think I may be more excited for Mercenary Kings next week (Metal Slug-style game from the Pilgrim team) than I am for Infamous or Ground Zeroes. 

Lone Survivor is yet another in the making-16-bit-graphic games.  Might give it a shot but doesn't particularly interest me.

I mean, the game was more or less made by one guy and the pixel art is actually pretty alright, not like the Thomas Was Alone "I'm just gonna use blocks" uber-minimal approach.  It obviously isn't pushing the system's capabilities but I think it'd be unfair in this case to say there was a lack of effort; this is just what he was capable of with what he had available to him.

The game itself is actually a fairly well designed survival horror game in the vein of a Silent Hill with a metric ton of hidden depth.  I played through once and probably missed half of the random stuff one could do.  I don't think it is something that everyone will like but it is probably worth giving a shot.  Hell I think there is still a free flash demo online somewhere.

Thomas Was Alone is a great puzzle game, don't sleep on it because of the art style because it actively plays into the mechanics themselves.

The art is simple, but it isn't bad. And the game is utterly charming. It's definitely worth a look.

I ended picking up Ni No Kuni from the Back to 2013 sale. The price was just too nice to pass up.

6 cents per hour of gameplay is tough to ignore.