DVDVR Message Board

UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum (6/13/2015) - Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico (Arena Ciudad de México)

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

That was a heck of a card. Decided to watch at the AMC movie theater in Downtown Disney. Tickets cost $17 which is way better than $60, plus bigger screen, higher quality and better audio. It wasn't halfway full either. There were like 40 or less people there and all mostly hispanics rooting for Cain except for me who was going for Werdum.

MMA fans really know how to try and kill ones enjoyment. First thing I see after the card is the UFC retweeting a Mayweather vs. Pacquiao meme. Like really dude, let it go already, we get it.

Anyway...

Great card.

Main event was a back and fourth war. Totally loved it. I wanted Fabricio to win, but I didn't think he had it in him. I thought Cain was going to bullrush and put him against the cage like he did JDS in their last 2 fights. That however didn't work as Fabricio's clinch game was outstanding. I also thought Fabricio messed up when he got the takedown and then couldn't do anything with it early in the fight. Nonetheless he put a beating on Cain standing and Cain put one on him too. Cain was classy in defeat accepting his lose and not making excuses. He kept on getting questions about his performance at the post fight press conference and he kept on shrugging them off and saying Fabricio was the better fighter.

Co-main event was a lot less action packed than I expected it to be, but still not as bad as most people made it out to be. I was expecting it to be Gilbert vs. Diego 2.0 pace wise, but a lot more competitive, yet it wasn't even close. Instead it reminded me of Gilbert vs. Masvidal with Gilbert taking on Masvidal's usual role of putting on a decent round and then trying to coast to a decision. I've seen people cry Gil was robbed, yet he wasn't. Fight was very close and the takedowns did it for Eddie.

Kelvin put a beating on Nate. At this point Nate really out of it most of the time. He's been fighting forever from 155 to 185 and has taken a ton of punishment throughout the years. I think he should take 2 or 3 more fights and consider hanging them up soon.

Kelvin still think he can make 170, Dans didn't completely shut him down iirc, he just said he doesn't fully believe he can. However Kelvin's still young and has some time to prove to Dana that he can. I'm sure he can make 170 clean a couple of times in a row Dana will let him move down.

Yair Rodríguez vs. Aaron Rosa was awesome. Easily FOTN. Yair has that balls to the wall crazy style with some crazy standing attacks and wild scrambles on the ground. Gotta love his performance.

First fight was everything that wasn't expected, yet it was a smartly fought fight by Tecia. She has good technique standing, however she thought Angela maybe better than her in that area, but weaker on the ground, so she proceeded to take her down and grind out a victory. Tecia needs to work on her BJJ though as Angela is probably a white belt in BJJ still and she was able to continuously get out of Tecia's side guard and was able to continuously get her in half guard and nullify her position advancements on the ground.

I'd honestly be happy if Cain Velasquez never became champion again.  He gets hurt too much.  He over trains, and I think he's gone past his peak years.  

He and AKA obviously need to re-evaluate his training regiment.  Two year freaking layoff.

I'd honestly be happy if Cain Velasquez never became champion again.  He gets hurt too much.  He over trains, and I think he's gone past his peak years.  

He and AKA obviously need to re-evaluate his training regiment.  Two year freaking layoff.

I think it may be either Cormier or Mendez on the "Training Day: AKA" show on FS1 that said they have re-evaluated some of their training methods. They know there is a stigma associated with the gym. However, at the same time, where was all the controversy when they were on the hot streak prior the one they were on before Cain lost last night?

When Cain got hurt last time, I wrote about how people would feel if they knew how Rafael Cordeiro was training people and if his fighters turned up injured. I think the thing is a trainer should know the difference between overtraining and undertraining. However, how much can you step it back before fighters start looking like they were in training camp for 3 weeks? There is going to be a period where some guys look very iffy, some guys look the same, and some look better than before. This may be that time with them. However, many people naturally want to be attached to success all the time. Thus, it could be also a time where people start jumping to gyms looking for answers.

As for Cain and the heavyweight picture, I believe Cain has the best chance of any former champ to repeat as champion. Pettis is going to have a tough time with the way lightweight is set up. Hendricks would be number one for me, but he can fight to his detriment sometimes. I will give Barao probably the third best chance given bantamweight is just not that strong. There are some good prospects, but some questions still have to be answered. I'm basing this off the criteria of youth with the right amount of depth and overall dominance. Cain is in a division of all old dudes, and he is closer to the right side more than they are. Up until last night, there was no question about his dominance besides the first Dos Santos fight.

When bringing up the depth of the HW division, I believe Patrick Wyman pointed it out first. Simply, there aren't a bunch of young fighters on their way up above 170 pounds. Forget just the heavyweight division. There isn't this young Anthony Johnson type figure (other than Anthony Johnson FWIW) who was decent at middleweight or light heavyweight with the right type of body to fight heavyweight. Cormier isn't moving back to heavyweight. The only other guy who would put a stop to that possibly is figuring out his legal situation to get back into a cage sometime in the future. Plus, we don't know how truly enamored he is about moving up to heavyweight.

There are some heavyweights that the UFC has signed, but they are extremely raw and certainly don't look the part now. The only other guy who would even get close to fitting that bill still has to see if he can make it to the 2016 Rio games. He also has no MMA experience besides training at K Dojo. That gives Cain Velasquez at least just under three years to win back the belt.

Any chance Khadzhimurat Gatsalov starts training for MMA?

I think there is a chance, but it's on him if he wants to take up doing striking training and Brazilian jiu-jitsu heading into his mid 30s. Being 5'10" has already put him at a slight disadvantage. Cormier can take a hell of a punch, and we don't know if Gatsalov can. He feeds his family through wrestling and so far has been successful with that.

I think it says a lot that the UFC went after and signed Bilyal Makhov, who is five years younger and five inches taller.

I think it may be either Cormier or Mendez on the "Training Day: AKA" show on FS1 that said they have re-evaluated some of their training methods. They know there is a stigma associated with the gym. However, at the same time, where was all the controversy when they were on the hot streak prior the one they were on before Cain lost last night?

When Cain got hurt last time, I wrote about how people would feel if they knew how Rafael Cordeiro was training people and if his fighters turned up injured. I think the thing is a trainer should know the difference between overtraining and undertraining. However, how much can you step it back before fighters start looking like they were in training camp for 3 weeks? There is going to be a period where some guys look very iffy, some guys look the same, and some look better than before. This may be that time with them. However, many people naturally want to be attached to success all the time. Thus, it could be also a time where people start jumping to gyms looking for answers.

As for Cain and the heavyweight picture, I believe Cain has the best chance of any former champ to repeat as champion. Pettis is going to have a tough time with the way lightweight is set up. Hendricks would be number one for me, but he can fight to his detriment sometimes. I will give Barao probably the third best chance given bantamweight is just not that strong. There are some good prospects, but some questions still have to be answered. I'm basing this off the criteria of youth with the right amount of depth and overall dominance. Cain is in a division of all old dudes, and he is closer to the right side more than they are. Up until last night, there was no question about his dominance besides the first Dos Santos fight.

When bringing up the depth of the HW division, I believe Patrick Wyman pointed it out first. Simply, there aren't a bunch of young fighters on their way up above 170 pounds. Forget just the heavyweight division. There isn't this young Anthony Johnson type figure (other than Anthony Johnson FWIW) who was decent at middleweight or light heavyweight with the right type of body to fight heavyweight. Cormier isn't moving back to heavyweight. The only other guy who would put a stop to that possibly is figuring out his legal situation to get back into a cage sometime in the future. Plus, we don't know how truly enamored he is about moving up to heavyweight.

There are some heavyweights that the UFC has signed, but they are extremely raw and certainly don't look the part now. The only other guy who would even get close to fitting that bill still has to see if he can make it to the 2016 Rio games. He also has no MMA experience besides training at K Dojo. That gives Cain Velasquez at least just under three years to win back the belt.

The injuries got so bad in the last three years, that I am fine with guys looking soft and weak when they get to the cage if it means less injuries :D .