DVDVR Message Board

UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum (6/13/2015) - Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico (Arena Ciudad de México)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_188_Velasquez_vs._Werdum_Poster.jpg?

UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum

June 13, 2015

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico (Arena Ciudad de México)

UFC Heavyweight Championship: Cain Velasquez © (242) vs. Fabrício Werdum (236) (third defense) - Werdum, SUB (guillotine choke), R3 (2:13)

Gilbert Melendez (156) vs. Eddie Alvarez (156) - Alvarez, DEC (split)

Kelvin Gastelum (185) vs. Nate Marquardt (184) - Gastelum, TKO (corner retirement), R2 (5:00)

Yair Rodríguez (145) vs. Charles Rosa (145) - Rodríguez, DEC (split)

Tecia Torres (114) vs. Angela Hill (115) - Torres, DEC (unanimous)

FX Preliminary Card:

Chico Camus (126) vs. Henry Cejudo (125) - Cejudo, DEC (unanimous)

Efrain Escudero (156) vs. Drew Dober (155) - Escudero, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (0:54)

Alejandro Pérez (136) vs. Patrick Williams (136) - Williams, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (0:23)

Frank Trevino (154) vs, Johnny Case (155) - Case, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Augusto Montaño (170) vs. Cathal Pendred (170) - Pendred, DEC (unanimous)

Gabriel Benítez (145) vs. Clay Collard (146) - Benítez, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Patrick Williams

Performance of the Night: Fabrício Werdum

Fight of the Night: Yair Rodríguez vs. Charles Rosa

Attendance: 21,036

Gate: $1.6 million

Buyrate: 300,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Albert Tumenov vs. Héctor Urbina - Injury to Urbina (Arm)

Albert Tumenov vs. Andrew Todhunter - Todhunter Pulled Due to Weight Cutting Issues

Does Cejudo make weight?

I think the prevailing opinion is that Cejudo really didn't give a shit about the beginning stages of his career. I think he was probably expecting to get big money for fighting on the regional circuit and kind of sleepwalked through all of that. If he believes that this is finally where he can actually work towards legit paydays and notoriety, then he should be able to fight at flyweight. This is not like what went on with Lineker where at some point it became clear that he wasn't making 125. Cejudo is a flyweight and should be able to get down there. He made it against Cariaso, and it certainly would be in his best interest to do it against Camus. That's a very winnable fight that could also be a breakout performance.

• Like 1

Only three fights I really care on this card about between the title fight, Alvarez/Melendez, and Cejudo/Camus.  That said, some other guys on here are decent and could easily surprise me with some decent fights.  I am still hoping Velasquez actually makes it through this week intact.

Trevino vs. Case is a really good sleeper fight with two serious prospects like Dalby vs. Zaleski a couple weeks ago.

If Andrew Todhunter doesn't get a quick TD on Albert Tumenov, he is gonna posterized something serious. Tumenov is not exactly the guy you wanna face on short notice (especially in your UFC debut) and with a massive amount of weight to cut.

• Like 1

Man, both Tecia Torres and Angela Hill are pretty hot.   Too bad one has to die this Saturday.

I hope Cain beats Werdum.  USA must smash all Brazilian challenges...  BROWN PRIDE~!

• Like 2

"He's an American that thinks he's Mexican." Isn't Werdum's Spanish better than Velasquez's? 

I'm pulling for Werdum and hope to see the ultimate troll face after the fight.

• Like 1

"He's an American that thinks he's Mexican." Isn't Werdum's Spanish better than Velasquez's? 

I'm pulling for Werdum and hope to see the ultimate troll face after the fight.

He speaks it fluently. Werdum lived in Spain for ten years as a BJJ coach. That's how he hooked up with training with CroCop.

This may not mean anything, but I find it interesting that this is the second time Werdum chose to bring his camp down to Mexico for several weeks. He did it for when he was suppose to fight Cain originally, and Cain decided to have his whole camp in SJ before he got injured. Now Javy Mendez brought Cain down for a couple weeks to get use to the high elevation.

• Like 1

Todhunter was pulled from the card for medical reasons as there was no safe way for him to make weight. He was going to the hospital either way.

Tumemov will weigh in tomorrow to receive his show money.

Apparently, Todhunter passed out trying to cut weight. It definitely sounds like he should not have taken the fight in the fight in the first place.

One day, one of these lower level managers is going to get someone seriously messed up, and it's going to adversely affect which guys make it up. Stuff like that and what is happening with XFS kinda gets under my skin a bit. A lot of people have no foresight at all, and I definitely see that leading to the worst place imaginable.

Well didn't some guy already basically die from cutting too much weight and using diuretics?  

I am all for regulating weight cuts or only allowing fighters to cut a certain amount of weight on fight week.

A bantamweight fighter like Renan Barao cutting 22-23 pounds in a day is insane.

Well didn't some guy already basically die from cutting too much weight and using diuretics? 

That would be Leandro "Feijao" Souza and his passing resulted in the cancellation of a Shooto Brazil event.

• Like 1

Some weigh-in notes:

The crowd was super hot for Cain during the weigh-ins. They were pretty loud for most of the weigh-in, but I'm really surprised that his cheers were that vociferous and sustained for someone who isn't the typical Mexican fighter (i.e. an all action boxer between 108 and 168 pounds).

As you will see on the original post, Cejudo made weight. He looked perfectly fine and didn't looked drawn at all.

Dodger Montaño and Yair Rodriguez may not be great fighters, but they did get the third biggest pops during the weigh-in. They arguably tied with the co-main event for second. They're both matched kinda tough tomorrow so we'll just have to see if they can capitalize on that popularity.

I would be very surprised if Kelvin Gastelum did any type of PEDs. Marquardt doesn't look yoked out like he use to, but he is Mr. Olympia next to Gastelum. Too bad that's not how fights are won. That might be Nate's only chance.

Tecia Torres is indeed tiny.

• Like 1