DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Soaked in Bleach just about affirmed all my thoughts about Kurt's "suicide." Meaning, Courtney totally had him killed.

If Obama can kill bin Laden and legalize gay marriage, the least he can do is reopen the Kurt Cobain case and arrest Courtney Love.

Hey Curt! Rentertainment is going out of business and selling everything off, get there while you can to pick up your faves.

ERRRRRRRR... I have issues with this, considering one of my closest friends and former bandmates works there and isn't hitting me back about getting their DVD of The Devils or any of the horror stuff I want to get. I might just get up early and make a trek out there to see what I have to get.

This is one crazy ass thing to complain about, but here it is:

About a year and a half ago, I had a theft in a house where I lived. Numerous things were stolen, but the most crippling theft was my TV at the time. Most of the other stuff was obsolete electronics, old cellphones, some tools, but dammit, that TV hurt.

Assorted other money issues came and went, and every time I thought I had enough for a replacement TV ... sure enough, some damned thing would come up that I'd need money for and I'd have to start all over again.

About a year after the first break-in, I was robbed again. Having never replaced the other stolen goods, there really wasn't anything for those asswipes to get, but I had to move. Which destroyed a huge chunk of my funds.

However ... during this whole year and a half, I still made it a point to keep my movie collection going. I knew, one day, I'd have that TV and I'd be able to watch the shit outta all these movies. Through a combination of shrewd money mgmt and my esoteric cinema tastes, to date, I have 2288 dvds and blus. (This doesn't account for the TV shows, wrestling, stand-up, etc.)

For Father's Day, I finally got a TV. However, I had a writing project with the university where I teach, where I had a psych manual to write for incoming freshmen. Dutifully, I swore to finish it before I set up the TV and watched the first movie or whatever.

I finished the project today.

For the past three hours, I have stood in front of the movie collection with a blank stare, with no idea what I want to watch first.

None.

But, I have to say, I'm grateful to have this problem, as opposed to having no means to watch anything at all.

But still ... no idea whatsoever.

• Like 3

I'm watching ZATOICHI'S REVENGE. It's pretty great, even if it's the same formula as all the other ones. The supporting cast of characters is really fun. Zatoichi could occasionally use a foe capable of putting up a fight, though.

• Like 1

So, it just struck me while watching the Pixels trailer... is Dinklage playing Billy MItchell from King of Kong?

Also watched Whiplash today on cable....  it was a great performance by JK Simmons but...

After more or less putting the kids feet in cement and pushing him off the bridge into the water, I find it hard to believe that Simmons' character would have allowing the drummer to come back on stage and basically hijack the show.  Yeah, it makes for a great moment the kid proves himself, but after he sabatoges him by not giving him the song they were doing, why would he not only let him come back on stage but then perform the song.

• Like 1

I'm watching ZATOICHI'S REVENGE. It's pretty great, even if it's the same formula as all the other ones. The supporting cast of characters is really fun. Zatoichi could occasionally use a foe capable of putting up a fight, though.

I'm about halfway through the series (Thanks Hulu & Criterion!) and have yet to grow tired of it. They do occasionally tweak the formula in little ways, so that helps.

But still ... no idea whatsoever.

Maybe you should throw 2,228 titles into a hat. I actually frequently have the same problem. I call it 'Movie Choice Paralysis'.
I started watching my stuff alphabetically to deal with that.
  • Like 1

it doesnt help with dvds, but with netflix i watch the movies on my list as they come up for removal from the site (unless, of course, theres something i really want to watch). it can be frustrating at times as the finish dates dont show up (for me, at least) usually until quite close to the end date. i know of the sites that list what movies will be ending in each month but i've found they often miss titles. also annoying when i go a week or two with nothing on my list showing a finishing date and then suddenly theres a dozen movies with end dates within the week.

oh, and their new ui sucks.

#firstworldproblems