DVDVR Message Board

Raw 5-25-15

MGFanJay

I think Ryder was a guy who was going to be less over the more you pushed him though. His whole appeal was "WWE is holding him down!" and then he got the U.S. title and like almost instantly people started to care less about him.

That's the thing- after he won the title and had the "Internet Darlings" trios match, they booked him in such a way that guaranteed the fans wouldn't even get the chance to turn on him. He immediately got buried six feet under and they went back time and time and time again to pee on his grave. Was he the greatest guy ever? No. But he had the chance to grow into his role and they never let him get within two zip codes of it.

• Like 1

Rusev's body language is way better than Lana's all over the place accent.

I literally busted out laughing when she started talking. The sooner they admit she isn't Russian the better. Also holy shit at that Paige/Tamina match. Two wrestlers working different matches that just happen to be in the ring with each other. It's hard to blame Vince for not giving divas a chance when he sees shit like that.

New Day is such a better act than the Authority. Noble can only do so much.

We've got to be a few short months from Justin Bieber doing business with the WWE and everyone saying he missed his calling as a heel.

Wait, Beiber isn't a heel in real life?

Are people aware of this?  I had no idea.

Someone should tell the media.

Why do the RATINGZ only matter when they support someone's argument?

In fact, why do they matter to fans at all any more?  The Monday Night Wars ended fourteen years ago, regardless of how many WWE Network retrospectives there are about them.

Credit to Dean: You are not a true star until you've been fake arrested on WWE Raw.

I was just amused that they couldn't rent a surplus Nassau County police van...unless this is all some underhanded plan to make Nassau the official sixth borough of NYC (sorry Westchester).

The WWE should get the rights to Maniac Cop though. Ambrose was born to play a psychotic cop.

I could care one bit about ratings. But even if he approached Super Bowl-level records, I will go to the grave stating that Zach Ryder is truly the worst.

Fair enough, your opinion.  I find pretty much all of The Kingdom in ROH to be horribly overrated and that's my point of view.

Why do the RATINGZ only matter when they support someone's argument?

In fact, why do they matter to fans at all any more?  The Monday Night Wars ended fourteen years ago, regardless of how many WWE Network retrospectives there are about them.

Because they matter to Vince and everyone else in power in WWE.  

They're completely arbitrary, not taking into account DVRs, non-Nielsen families etc. etc. etc. but Vince and WWE still look to them as the be-all, end-all, so when it comes down to wrestlers and good/bad ratings, it's still important.

Gregg, I'm normally with you. But it's unfair to render a verdict on Zack Ryder based solely on the fact that the office has never gone out their way to so thoroughly shit on anyone as they have Ryder. The guy got punished for going out and doing exactly what they ask their talents to do. I hope this past monday leads to something good for Zack. He deserves it. 

Also, I don't get the hate for Entourage. That show was really fun...

It's less he got "punished" for making YouTube videos and more that he got a decent push and had an angle with Cena and Kane and it bombed. I mean, yeah, the angle wasn't the best but other campy stuff has gotten over.

Ryder in that photo with Punk and Bryan is hilarious. He's nowhere near those guys quality in the ring. That's not saying much because of how good Bryan and Punk are. But I think he might be the worst in-ring guy in the company. He really can't hang with anyone. He's really awful at playing the babyface-in-peril trying to mount a comeback. His facial expressions are awful. His offense when he has the upper hand stinks.

Those videos he made are awful. People also like Nickleback, though, so what do I know. His non-kayfabe bending promo work and delivery is really poorly delivered. 

He'd best be used as a comedy/underdog type of guy. But even compare him on that level to someone like Santino or Bo Dallas or Heath Slater. Those dudes are light years better than him.

(I freely admit my hatred of Ryder might be completely irrational.)

To go ahead and clear this up now, I am pretty sure Brawler won a battle royal earlier in the night to get that title shot.

Also for all the shit people used to love to give Santino, the guy was REALLY good. Like, way way better than Ryder.

To go ahead and clear this up now, I am pretty sure Brawler won a battle royal earlier in the night to get that title shot.

Also for all the shit people used to love to give Santino, the guy was REALLY good. Like, way way better than Ryder.

Hell, that's even more than Ryder did. Unless being talked to by actors is more important in 2015 WWE than winning a battle royal, which may well be possible.

I don't think he's any worse in-ring than say, R-Truth or Heath Slater. 

It's all good. There are probably guys like that for all of us. I don't understand at all what people see in Tyson Kidd. I think he has the personality of wet laundry and I think his in-ring work is overrated. 

• Like 1

Santino was a great comedy worker. I reviewed a match he and Emma had against Fandango and Summer in NXT before. It's one of the best comedy matches put together in recent years (and ever, actually) and a master class in using theatrical performance art to tell stories.

Any issue I had with Santino is you need to change the comedy acts to keep them fresh. Levity is something that you really need in a three-hour wrestling show. Having everything AS SERIOUS BUSINESS really gets old and tiring. Your eyes and mind need a break, especially since wrestling is dumb-as-hell to start with. But having the same comedy act over and over again makes that comedy act really tired unless they constantly get reinvented. Santino was never really reinvented.

Sometimes you just like or don't like someone and you go with whatever talking points will support you.  Nature of the weird beast known as the professional wrestling fandom.

This. There's nothing wrong with not liking Zack Ryder. He's certainly not anywhere near my list of people I want to see more of. But this talking point of "Ryder got his shot and he failed" is people reaching past the realm of opinion and into the territory of demonstrable falsehood.

That Raw with him and Punk and Bryan? That was IT. The next weeks he was in a few nothing matches and then we got that whole Cena/Eva/Kane angle in which Ryder was made to look completely useless. He lost his first title defense to Jack Swagger on a Raw, not even making it to the next PPV.

Was Ryder a star in the making? Probably not, but let's not pretend WWE ever gave him a real shot.