DVDVR Message Board

No Man's Sky

Gonzo

I haven't gotten to check it out myself yet, but the people in the NMS groups I'm in on FaceBook seem to be pretty damn impressed.

And apparently the giant sandworms that were in the trailer four years ago are in the game now.

Sandworm, thresher maw. . .whatever.

I will be so happy if it fixes one weird glitch i have had forever, scanning creatures on an anomaly planet never gives me credit for scanning all creatures on a planet. That’s the only category i dont have at least a 7 in (extreme planet being the only one i dont have maxed out)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got this a month ago at a PS Store sale and so far put something like 20 hours into it and I am not really feeling it (yet). Somehow I am doing the same couple of things over and over again without making much progress (I researched a relatively big part of the tech tree, at least of the multitool, and bought a big-ass multitool, but that's it). I don't know if I play the game too passively or if that is just the way this game is.

• 7 months later...

Firing this back up again because I'm giving ME:LE a break and I can now try the PS5 version rather than the PS4 version. . .not that there's any actual difference other than it looks a whole lot prettier.

I've advanced to the stage where I can set up a base computer. I'm not much for base construction or anything, and the game started me off on a planet that's constantly about 70 below zero (and worse when the occasional blizzard rolls through), so I don't think I want to build anything extensive on this planet anyway.

This time I'm actually going to follow the missions and see if I can't actually accomplish something other than hopping from one planet to another.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually following along with the Artemis quest this time. Gotten to the point where, after contacting Apollo, you have to expand and staff your new home.

I know I said before that I'm not really much into the base building aspect of NMS because I don't have a hell of a lot of creativity when it comes to that sort of thing, so I'm guessing I'm just going to slap down the basics somewhere and do the bare minimum that needs to be done.

Can you build your base on any planet? Because I really don't like the planet I put my first Base Computer on very much and would like to think I could find something I like better.

Yeah, you can build pretty much anywhere you want, so long as you start by slapping down a Base Computer, everything else will come.  You might want to go far enough to make sure you can summon the Anomaly and *maybe* grab your free frigate, as it might make it overall easier to grab new fabrications and move around looking for a planet that isn't always draining your life support to build so you're not rushing ot get stuff down before you have to shelter.  

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, you can build pretty much anywhere you want, so long as you start by slapping down a Base Computer, everything else will come.  You might want to go far enough to make sure you can summon the Anomaly and *maybe* grab your free frigate, as it might make it overall easier to grab new fabrications and move around looking for a planet that isn't always draining your life support to build so you're not rushing ot get stuff down before you have to shelter.  

Yeah, I haven't been able to trigger the free frigate quest yet. Have warped to a few different systems but it just hasn't happened. I've already gone to the Anomaly a bunch of times.

And that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. The planet that the game started me out on (where my first Base Computer is) has a consistent temperature of about 70 below, and that sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused as hell about how the mechanics in this game work sometimes.

So I finally found a planet that I wanted to start an actual base on so I can continue the Artemis quest and what have you. Went to build my Base Computer and was told that I didn't have enough Chromatic Metal to do it. I didn't have any in my exosuit inventory, but I had some on my freighter. But, since I didn't want to go back into space and retrieve it I found a couple of copper deposits, cleaned them out, and set up the portable refiner.

I had gathered enough copper to make nearly 600 units of Chromatic Metal, so I sat and waited the few minutes for the refiner to process it. Grab the metal, pick up my refiner (since my first one is on a random planet three or four systems back because I accidentally left it there), and went to build my Base Computer again. It tells me I don't have the 30 Chromatic Metal to build it, so now I'm confused.

From the looks of it, the Chromatic Metal that I grabbed out of my refiner somehow made its way to my freighter. . .which, as I previously mentioned, is way the hell out in space somewhere.

So, the next time I get on, I'm going to have to jump in my starship, schlep out to my freighter to get my Chromatic Metal, and then schlep back to the planet again in another effort to build my base. Bleh.

Based on my daughter liking Minecraft and Subnautica, I thought, hmm, let's see what you think about NMS. It was $30 on the PS5, there's no way I'm letting her use my gaming PC, she has her own gaming laptop that probably can't handle it, so PS5 it is.

I never expected her to become so addicted to playing it. We've had a lot of home time with the new born and yesterday I probably let my daughter play NMS for too many hours. She's been playing it for weeks now and it's funny whenever she asks me something about the game because she knows I have it on my PC. I'm like, dude, this is practically nothing like what I played. 

The game is fucking incredible now. She went to some hub world with a bunch of other actual players. There was another moment where we went to a space station and I thought it was just a typical NPC landing in there and it was an actual player. All of the NPCs move now! Worlds are so wildly different. We haven't delved into creating a civilization or anything like that just yet, but it's just outstanding. She had asked for PSVR for Christmas and I was on the fence because I know there's going to be a new PSVR coming out, but now I'm tempted to get the current VR just for this game.

Oh man, and there are now quests and multiple stories in the game. If this game were released to day in the shape it's in today, people would be hailing it as an accomplishment and calling it the best game ever made. I really don't know how Hello Games does it. They're not a large studio, they don't charge a monthly fee, and I can only think of a few other things that give me this level of satisfaction.

No Man's Sky in some ways is like Stardew Valley for me. I play it overly obsessively for a few weeks, 6 to 8 hours a day, thoroughly engrossed. Then one day I am just like "well that was fun" and I don't play it again for two years. There is never any slow wind down, I go from insanely into it to over it in a day. Happened again earlier this year, I put a ton of hours into it, had a cool looking base, had progressed some in the "story," then I felt satisfied and haven't played it since. It is a pretty great game though, I'd recommend anyone that tried it initially to try it again.

• Like 1