DVDVR Message Board

UFC 187: Johnson vs. Cormier (5/23/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I wish I would've gotten this PPV, it looked awesome. Always rooting for Weidman, and seeing him finish off Belfort in the first was fantastic. Also, how long is it for the whole paper champion thing to wear off for Cormier? You could just say that about everyone who held the title, since ya know Frank Shamrock never actually lost it.

Man, really disappointed AJ couldn't win the title, but what happened was what I feared would happen. His cardio wasn't where it should have been and he went guns blazing against someone who could grind him to a pulp. For a moment, I thought AJ was going to throw up in the ring. Better luck next time.

Hell of a show. That Arlovski/Brown fight was wild as hell.

I wish I would've gotten this PPV, it looked awesome. Always rooting for Weidman, and seeing him finish off Belfort in the first was fantastic. Also, how long is it for the whole “paper champion“ thing to wear off for Cormier? You could just say that about everyone who held the title, since ya know Frank Shamrock never actually lost it.

People will forget about it after he starts defending the title.  If/when Jones comes back, then it will be a thing again.

Dominick Cruz never lost the belt either.  Came back fought and won, then he got injured again.  No one says Dillashaw isn't the true champion.  And Barao was having a pretty impressive run up until his loss to Dillashaw.

I wish I would've gotten this PPV, it looked awesome. Always rooting for Weidman, and seeing him finish off Belfort in the first was fantastic. Also, how long is it for the whole “paper champion“ thing to wear off for Cormier? You could just say that about everyone who held the title, since ya know Frank Shamrock never actually lost it.

People will forget about it after he starts defending the title.  If/when Jones comes back, then it will be a thing again.

Dominick Cruz never lost the belt either.  Came back fought and won, then he got injured again.  No one says Dillashaw isn't the true champion.  And Barao was having a pretty impressive run up until his loss to Dillashaw.

Plus, it's not like Anthony Johnson was just some dude in the division. He was the rightful number one contender after Cormier failed to capture the belt the first time, and Johnson beating the man who gave Jon Jones his toughest fight. Whether or not you agree with Jones' suspension/title stripping, the division is going to go on without him. The UFC saw that they don't control the circumstances around a certain situation and decided to back off into an area they do control. So if you got to have a champion in the interim, he should fight the best and most appropriate opponents available. I think if Rashad was healthy, that's definitely a direction they would go in. However, Rashad is still three or four months out from being able to train. Plus, they would want Rashad to get a win with him being out for so long. Right now, Bader is the best available so that's who they have to go with.

• Like 1

People will forget about it after he starts defending the title. If/when Jones comes back, then it will be a thing again.

Dominick Cruz never lost the belt either. Came back fought and won, then he got injured again. No one says Dillashaw isn't the true champion. And Barao was having a pretty impressive run up until his loss to Dillashaw.

DC being dominated by the champ not that long ago is why people are giving him the paper champion status. He should shake it off after a win or two and it isn't like it was his choice for Jones to be stripped of the belt

Bader's going to go ahead and take full advantage of this windfall, and he should.  Bader is in the unique position of being on a win streak when everyone else is on a losing streak or suspended.  Bader can't beat Gustafsson, Cormier, Jones, and proably Johnson, but he smashes everyone else.  If I was him I would put on a suit, sunglasses, and start cutting promos like Ric Flair.  This is his shot, and he seems to be 100% prepared to take advantage of it.

Are you serious? Ryan Bader doesn't smash anyone. His last KO win was Jason Brilz in 2011. 

That was sensational.

What an amazing brawl!  Arlovski's win was one of the few fights that made me happy.

The head kick that broke Makdessi's jaw was fucking sweet.  COWBOY~!

I really wanted Vitor and Rumble to win, but Weidman and DC had mad skillz and mad gameplan.  Grats to both of those guys.

Bader's going to go ahead and take full advantage of this windfall, and he should.  Bader is in the unique position of being on a win streak when everyone else is on a losing streak or suspended.  Bader can't beat Gustafsson, Cormier, Jones, and proably Johnson, but he smashes everyone else.  If I was him I would put on a suit, sunglasses, and start cutting promos like Ric Flair.  This is his shot, and he seems to be 100% prepared to take advantage of it.

Are you serious? Ryan Bader doesn't smash anyone. His last KO win was Jason Brilz in 2011. 

When I say he smashes everyone I'm not saying he knocks them out, I'm saying he dominates just about everyone other than the top 3 or 4 guys in the division.  He's one of those guys that seperates the men from the boys.  He's an incredibly tough guy who has exceptional wrestling skills, but he's not going to knock anyone out.  I'm willing to bet most of those dudes he didn't knock out don't feel like fighting him again.  He basically grinds dudes down to a stump, and while he never really knocks anyone out, those fights are brutal for his opponents. 

I wish I would've gotten this PPV, it looked awesome. Always rooting for Weidman, and seeing him finish off Belfort in the first was fantastic. Also, how long is it for the whole paper champion thing to wear off for Cormier? You could just say that about everyone who held the title, since ya know Frank Shamrock never actually lost it.

People are really calling Cormier a paper champion?  He got beat by a guy that no one has beaten in five years.  He never got to fight Gustaffson and then subbed Rumble, the guy who destroyed Gustaffson, in the second round.   I don't like DC's attitude and I think he's got a big mouth, but the guy won the belt.

The biggest winner of that fight was Jon Jones.   DC beat Rumble with the same gameplan that didn't do squat against Jones in the title defense and Rumble's new killer monster aura dulled as he got exposed as the submission susceptible fighter he's traditionally been and once again his cardio is suspect.  

Neither one of those guys would successfully defend a championship against a healthy and baggage free Jon Jones.

Wild one round fight between Arlovski and Brown, I chuckled seeing Rogan and Goldberg standing up doing commentary in the fight’s closing stages. Can’t blame them. The fight got me thinking about the best one round MMA fights:

1. Frye vs. Takayama, Pride 22.

2. Hughes vs. Trigg II, UFC 52.

3. Tate vs. Rousey, Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey.

4. Arlovski vs. Brown, UFC 187.

5. Kongo vs. Barry, UFC on Versus 4.

6. Cerrone vs. Guilllard, UFC 150.

7. Rousey vs. Carmouche, UFC 157.

8. Mir vs. Nogueira II, UFC 140.

9. Diaz vs. Daley, Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley.

10. Henderson vs. Emelianenko, Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson.

Happy Weidman retained the UFC Middleweight Championship and remains undefeated against Vitor Belfort, stopping him with strikes in the first round. Also happy Donald Cerrone won again with a TKO via injury in the second against Makdessi and will be getting a shot at the UFC Lightweight Championship.

While I’m making this post, haven’t seen epwar around lately. Is he ok?

Also, Donald Cerrone better get the next lightweight title shot.  Dude's earned it and there is basically no one else right now.

Does he win?  Dunno.  But he is the best option against a champion like Dos Anjos.

• Like 1

Cerrone is a machine.  It seems like he fights like every other month and it is amazing that he's always ready to go and continues to win.

I dunno if he has the skills to beat RDA, but he's more than deserved his shot at the belt and he damn sure knows how to impose his will on you.  The public flogging and humilation of Myles Jury is still one of my favorite MMA moments.

• Like 1

Cerrone is a machine. It seems like he fights like every other month and it is amazing that he's always ready to go and continues to win.

I dunno if he has the skills to beat RDA, but he's more than deserved his shot at the belt and he damn sure knows how to impose his will on you. The public flogging and humilation of Myles Jury is still one of my favorite MMA moments.

Donald Cerrone's a favourite fighter of mine since World Extreme Cagefighting started showing on UK TV in 2011, WEC 36-48 for the reasons you give.

Cerrone is a machine.  It seems like he fights like every other month and it is amazing that he's always ready to go and continues to win.

I dunno if he has the skills to beat RDA, but he's more than deserved his shot at the belt and he damn sure knows how to impose his will on you.  The public flogging and humilation of Myles Jury is still one of my favorite MMA moments.

Their first fight wasn't like a blow out.  It was a legit 29-28 fight, and Cerrone started slow, which tends to be one of his recurring issues.  I'd say odds for a rematch would be pretty close considering Cerrone's recent 8-fight run, beating Henderson, Alvarez, etc.

Their first fight wasn't like a blow out.  It was a legit 29-28 fight, and Cerrone started slow, which tends to be one of his recurring issues.  I'd say odds for a rematch would be pretty close considering Cerrone's recent 8-fight run, beating Henderson, Alvarez, etc.

With that said, Cerrone and Pettis have the exact same flaws.  They are absolute monsters offensively, but if you pressure them and not allow them to get their offense off they can be hit.  Cerrone never even tries to move his head, but people are so worried about his constant barrage of strikes they don't put the pressure on him.  Even Makdessi landed a lot of solid shots before he got is face caved in.  Makdessi's problem was that he tried to stand back and counter one of the most complete offensive fighters in the world.  If Dos Anjos takes the fight to him like he did Pettis, I think Dos Anjos beats him fairly easily.

• Like 2

Good points, but it has to be smart and effective pressure. There are guys who would be considered pressure fighters and absolutely get their doors blown off by Cowboy or Pettis. Hell, Pettis did just that to Cerrone.

That's why I think RDA is Cerrone's best chance to win the belt. Khabib falling out was a blessing because Dos Anjos ain't exactly Mr. Infallible. What makes the rematch compelling is neither guy is. Dos Anjos might beat him again, but there is also the chance Cerrone might knock his head into the front row. That is something Cerrone certainly would not have if Pettis or Nurmagomedov were the champ.

• Like 1