DVDVR Message Board

For those who missed it; E60 "Behind the Curtain"

Welp, I missed the original and airing of this episode of E60, I was all stoked and ended up watching some old flicks instead. So I missed this bastard and thankfully a SouthernFried bretheren saved me...so without further adeiu, here's E60 "BEHIND THE CURTAIN";

Don't be a wuss....post whatcha think about the documentary as a well.

E60 Behind the Curtain (Wrestling) - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pex1b_e60-behind-the-curtain-wrestling_school via @DailymotionUSA

I gained a new respect for Adam Rose after watching that documentary. I really feel for him and the medical issues that his son deals with. Great deal of respect for the guy. 

At this point though, he's going to need another retooling because the Adam Rose character isn't really working right now.

• Like 1

The Masked Man actually hit the nail on the head when he said Rose went from being an irreverent Russell Brand type to a generic raver kind of guy.  I forget who it was, but I agree with whomever said that as Leo Kruger, he looked like he was acting too much.  I think his best bet for a gimmick change is to basically be the main roster version of Kevin Owens's gimmick: heel that will do anything to get ahead because he's providing for his family.  

Also, I loved the fact they mentioned Demott getting fired for being abusive at the end.  It had no relation to anything on the show, so I imagine it was in response to the crew/Schaap seeing what a dick he was and not caring about the whole "That's wrestling" thing.

Thank you. Thank you so much for posting this. I know I might have a reputation for being more emotional than most, but man, no joke, I was probably in tears for more than half of that. Especially the end. I probably cry about wrestling more than Tommy Dreamer does.

It was just such a phenomenal, beautiful piece. Stuff like that is what should be playing on the WWE Network. I never cared about Adam Rose more than I do now. Same for Corey Graves and Xavier Woods. I think what gets lost in WWE is that these are all real people and these are all people anyone could care about. I'm not sure if Adam Rose should have a different gimmick or not. I think his current gimmick is fine, but some of his actual self should shine through more. It's also surprising how much better his original theme music in NXT sounded compared to his current theme music.

• Like 4

The biggest problem with Adam Rose was rushing him. They were so pleased with the first entrance and match that they didn't take a number of things into account and rushed him to the roster within weeks. The first major issue was his theme music. His original "World Goes Wild" theme was vastly superior to the music he ended up with. It's a lot easier to sing along with the "Whoo!" than it is with trying to sing along with the chant in the background to the current music. The second issue is that he didn't have an opportunity to get the gimmick to gel in NXT before they rushed him up to the roster. As was pointed out on Grantland, it was much better as a Russel Brand/Adrian Street hybrid than what it became on the main roster as middle-aged raver.

• Like 2

Yes, all of that too. We discussed that pretty heavily when he received his call up. It sucks for him, but maybe it made HHH and others realize to not rush call ups. If they didn't learn their lesson, Finn would have been called up after his first Demon entrance.

I actually liked the Adam Rose segment on Smackdown last night with Rosa making out with him, the Rosebuds interrupting asking if they were getting paid, and Rose getting pissed and telling them to vamoose. He finally seemed like a genuine asshole. It looks like they're gonna change his character again and that could work out. Maybe. 

Plus, Rosa and him seriously started making out after and the disgusted look from Kane walking past was great.

• Like 1

I think you could tweak the Adam Rose character into one of those quasi-famous old money douchebags who like, spray paints homeless people for fun and has no morals because of the toll partying and having money have taken on his psyche. Keep the name and general gimmick, but dial up the amoral selfishness and willingness to hurt/shame others purely for his own amusement...

I kind of like the Kruger character but felt Adam Rose just couldn't possibly go far.  But holy cow it's impossible not to root for him now.  I might not like the character, but I hope he gets every chance to find his groove and go as far as possible.  I would be 10000% on board with him as a face and a family man.  He could take something so real and turn that up to show how badly he wants this.  And in today's WWE it could still resonate with the crowd.

I've always liked Xavier Woods, especially when finding out he's going for his PhD.  It's easy to see why his references to nerd culture would go over Vince's head, but all in all he seems like a great quality guy.  He's doing a great job in heel New Day and I'm so glad for him.

Corey did nothing for me while he was wrestling.  It was after he had to retire that I started to feel for him, but he's doing a great job.  His story was something else, had no idea he has three kids.  His story of having one too many concussions did remind me of Daniel Bryan, it sounds eerily similar in parts.  With Daniel's recent announcement it makes me wonder if he'll be in a similar situation as Corey in the future.

Still need to see the bonus footage for Big Cass and Breeze.

• Like 1

I kinda imagine Vince getting around to watching the special in a year or two, realizing Xavier Woods has other options in life, and firing him because he has other options.

I like what they said on cheep hear that Woods will be kept around cause with the Phd in his back pocket if the WWE finds themselves in a place where they need someone to go on the cable news shows he's going to be there go to.

I kinda imagine Vince getting around to watching the special in a year or two, realizing Xavier Woods has other options in life, and firing him because he has other options.

I like what they said on cheep hear that Woods will be kept around cause with the Phd in his back pocket WHEN the WWE finds themselves in a place where they need someone to go on the cable news shows he's going to be there go to.

Fixed.

I'm really,really surprised that much behind the scenes was given to ESPN considering how mainstream media typically covers professional wrestling. But then again, like NXT itself, it seems like something Hunter may have come up and given the ball to run. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

As much shit as Bill Demott has gotten (some, deservedly so), it was admirable that he went to bat for Leo Kruger/Adam Rose during that meeting, 

Overall, this is one of the best wrestling related documentaries I've seen in a long time. 

• Like 1

Possibly WWE could have had final edit on the special.

from May 6th, via PWInsider:

- For those wondering, WWE had no say in the editing or the final version of ESPN's E:60 special that aired last night. No one from WWE even saw the special until a screening in New York City last week.

• Like 1