DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 5/14/15

victor

* Dark match: Fandango defeat Tyler Breeze.

* Dark match: Charlotte defeat Emma.

* A Bray Wyatt video opens the show.

* Dean Ambrose kicks off SmackDown to a big pop and comes out for an in-ring promo. Ambrose talks about RAW and Payback but is interrupted by Roman Reigns. Kane is out next and he gets upset when they talk trash to him. Kane puts Ambrose in a match right now.

* Sheamus vs. Ambrose is first. Ambrose gets the win after a big uppercut in the corner and a quick pin out of nowhere. This was said to be a hard-hitting back and forth match.

* Backstage segment with Kane and Seth Rollins. Kane announces Ryback vs. Rollins for tonight.

* Lana and Rusev come out for a promo in the ring. Lana was way over but nothing significant happened. Lana apologized for her recent actions with taking in the fan support and dong the Fandango dance.

* Ryback cuts a promo.

* Rollins vs. Ryback is next. Rollins cuts a promo and out comes Ryback but Bray Wyatt ambushes him on the entrance way and beats him down.

* They stall some and Rollins thinks he has the match won by forfeit but it’s going to happen despite Ryback’s condition. Rollins gets the win.

* Promo from Naomi and Tamina Snuka.

* WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day are out next. They cut promos and out next comes Cesaro and Tyson Kidd. Kidd defeated Kofi Kingston with a Sharpshooter.

* They advertise an update on Daniel Bryan’s health after a commercial but out comes Bo Dallas to cut a promo on Bryan. Neville interrupts to a big pop and we’ve got a match with King Barrett on commentary. Neville wins with Red Arrow and Barrett cuts a promo on him after the match.

* Backstage segment with Adam Rose and the Rosebuds.

* Kane vs. Roman Reigns is next and there must be a winner by pinfall or submission. They start using weapons early on. Reigns fights back and gets the win by pinfall. He stands tall and celebrates to end SmackDown.

Ambrose is really over now and maybe, just maybe they realized his game is in the main instead of silly garbage matches (Bryan being out would probably be 99.9% of that if so). Him and Sheamus stiffed each other nicely as Sheamus is wont to do and Ambrose is wont to take, but he also threw out two really mean lariats and some nice corner elbows too along with the Tenryu aping. Plus he shoved the shit out of Sheamus into the barricade on that tope. I wish we had the middle of the match during the break, maybe the WWE App has it, I hope they just keep firing at each other instead of restholds. Sheamus was practically bleeding sweat at the end because they just kept moving constantly. End was the old 'slip on a banana peel' but that was just fine after the mutual beating we got. 

"Acknowledging your perverse Western customs" hahaha. It's nice having Rusev talk for himself but him and Lana are so tied together as a package and without the two together I fear they are both dead in the water. She is too smart sounding/acting to be a Liz to his Macho; she needs to be the brains behind the brute. Cena retaining and a breakup will be a big mistake.

All that said about Sheamus/Ambrose, Ryback has a rep as a guy who doesn't know his own strength and that didn't look like a fun match for Rollins. The stomps to the head he was throwing in at one point seemed like a receipt. Dug the low superkick finish because now that Alberto isn't around, I'd rather him use it than Ziggler, and though they were probably audio sweetened (just like on Lucha Underground!) they sounded and looked pretty final. Better than using that lame DDT.

NAOMI KILLED THE PROMO. That was fantastic. Fuck yes. She sounded like a natural, unscripted, and even brought up Bryan to get extra heat. And then New Day come out and kill it too. Not only have they figured out the gimmick but Kofi, of all people, seems to have a vicious streak?! And the length of the match is just as long as it should be for this buildup. Smackdown is trying their hardest tonight and it's working. 

I guess Hunter convinced Vince that the EC was too expensive a gimmick to get rid of. And he knows he can't get WarGames going until Vince is out of the picture, so hey, why not? 

And keeping with a theme, Bo had a great promo, then his short match with Neville had him going all Regal with the apron cheating and cravate. Barrett's comment about the costume was perfectly disingenuous. 

...and then of all things, there's is an awesome Kane match. Both guys come out and just whale on each other the whole time. It was like they were trying to upstage everything from before. Reigns appears to bust his ass hard on the table dropkick and also go headfirst into the table on the spear. Both guys had an insane punch flurry faster than anything I've seen either of them do, and all of them connected nicely. And then we have Dean with cookies. This was one of the best Smackdowns I've seen in a long long time and I liked it better than Lucha Underground last night. Pretty shocked over here.

• Like 1

THEY DON'T RECYCLE!  THEY DOUBLE DIP! WHEN THEY GO TO THE THEATERS, THEY BUY ONE TICKET BUT GO TO ALL THE MOVIES!

That was an awesome segment. If they can keep this New Day intact for a while, I can work with it.

Bo Dallas' off-camera hollering was incredible.  HE BROKE MY FACE!  I was in legit tears.

Lana/Rusev is going to end badly for both of them.  Rusev will be 100% neutered and Lana isn't going to go over as well with the crowd on her own, at least not right now.

They are going to screw up the Divas division even worse, because it's clear they're going to have Paige interfere with Nikki/Naomi at MITB.  It's so predictable.  It's all about Nikki and Paige, screw anyone else.  BORING.  And it's too bad, because Naomi is the best promo cutter out of the group by a mile and her talking has actual meaning.  I understand her motivation and why she brought in Tamina to help her.  Naomi makes sense.  The division does not.

Still not feeling the Bray/Ryback feud.  There's not enough build for it.  Ryback is getting over solidly as a semi-blockhead with a work ethic and heart.  I like how he threw in how beating Rollins could help him get noticed in the WHC picture.  A small detail, but it adds substance to the wrestling and makes the belt even more important.

But Bray needs to go over Ryback to rebuild his character.  Ryback needs the win, too.  An example of two guys meeting at the right place at the wrong time.  It's even more clear Bray was supposed to be working with Reigns now.

Speaking of Reigns, I like how he's gone into "I'll just brawl my way through everyone" mode.  That was a decent match with Kane.  The guy has had decent-to-very good matches with Big Show AND Kane with the last month.  Bless Roman Reigns for that.

I'm still trying to figure out the endgame for Regins/Ambrose.  They're still friends--for now--but they're clearly on edge with each other.  Rumors circulating about who should turn heel abound, but I don't see where either has to do that.  The peak chance to turn Reigns heel was post-WM, when he could have turned it as a 'the crowd fucked me over, so I'm going to fuck up everyone in my path' angle.  But now?  Not so much.

They could play the Reigns dismantles The Authority angle with Orton (Summer Slam 2014), Big Show, and now Kane.  That leave Triple H in the dad role of having to protect his bratty son Seth.  Trips may be annoyed at Rollins, but that's still his kid in character terms.  So when another kid steps to him, right as Reigns may be, Daddy Trips has to defend his son and by extension, The Authority.  HHH vs Reigns at Summer Slam wouldn't be bad.  And it allows Lesnar to easily come in and destroy Rollins--which can eventually lead to Lesnar vs Reigns II at WM 32.

Or, they can go with the triple threat of Lesnar/Rollins/Reigns at SS, with Reigns winning and HHH taking him on at Survivor's Series to get redemption for The Authority.  Either way would do.

But where does that leave Ambrose?

Hmmm, so many decisions to be made.  And not much faith that Creative can get it right.

I think the more important question is who's getting the Triple Powerbomb on Sunday Orton or Kane?

Why in the world do people think this silly shit is going to happen?? There's no way they reunite The Shield just so Dean Ambrose & Roman Reigns can take over as the upgraded J&J Security.

No way it happens but I'd love to see a reformed Shield as a babyface turn via Seth more than Reigns/Ambrose go to the darkside. Their goal: To destroy The Authority, and they did so from within. Reigns and Ambrose go for the tag straps. Or, in addition, both the US and IC straps, too.

I'm hoping tonight during the 2 out of 3 Falls match the New Day is able to swtich wrestlers in between falls to add further heel heat to them.

I guarantee this is going to be a thing. New Day with Kofi/Xavier wins the first fall with shenanigans, then Tyson/Cesaro get the 2nd fall after a long battle, then Big E enters and does a few power-man moves to get the third fall.