DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 66: Edgar vs. Faber (5/16/2015) - Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines (Mall of Asia Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_66_Edgar_vs._Faber_Poste

UFC Fight Night 66: Edgar vs. Faber
May 16, 2015
Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines (Mall of Asia Arena)

Frankie Edgar (146) vs. Urijah Faber (146) - Edgar, DEC (unanimous)
Gegard Mousasi (185) vs. Costas Philippou (186) - Mousasi, DEC (unanimous)
Mark Muñoz (186) vs. Luke Barnatt (185) - Muñoz, DEC (unanimous)
Hyun Gyu Lim (171) vs. Neil Magny (171) - Magny, TKO (punches), R2 (1:24)
Phillipe Nover (145) vs. Yui Chul Nam (146) - Nover, DEC (split)
Mark Eddiva (145) vs. Levan Makashvili (145) - Makashvili, DEC (split)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Tae Hyun Bang (156) vs. Jon Tuck (156) - Tuck, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:56)
Lipeng Zhang (155) vs. Kajan Johnson (155) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)
Jingliang Li (171) vs. Dhiego Lima (170) - Li, KO (punches), R1 (1:25)
Guangyou Ning (135) vs. Royston Wee (137)* - Ning, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:59)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Roldan Sangcha-an (126) vs. Jon Delos Reyes (125) - Delos Reyes, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:13)
Nolan Ticman (126) vs. Zhikui Yao (125) - Yao, DEC (split)

*Chose not to reweigh; forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Jon Tuck
Performance of the Night: Neil Magny
Fight of the Night: Roldan Sangcha-an vs. Jon Delos Reyes

Attendance: 13,446
Rating: 575,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Jingliang Li vs. Roger Zapata - Injury to Zapata
Mark Eddiva vs. Alex White - Injury to White

I think Edgar is going to win too, but I think it would help out the FW division tremendously if it was an exciting fight. Plus, we really haven't had too many legit Fight of the Year candidates especially ones with big stakes this year. I hope this one turns out that way.

• Like 1

Lim vs. Magny is actually a fight I'm really excited about.  I mean, Magny's not beating world beaters or anything, but getting seven wins in a row is still like seven wins a row.  That has to move up him big time.  

Lim really impressed me in his fight against Saffiedine, which is a very underrated performance.  I want to see if he's sharpened up his striking, can check leg kicks now, etc.

No one has said a word about the main event, was it that bad or just nothing special? Wasn't sure if i needed to track it down.

It was fun for the first two and a half rounds. After the first couple rounds, you see the pattern developing. Edgar fought a good fight. Faber...not so much. He couldn't get Edgar down or catch him in a scramble so he really didn't have a plan past that.

• Like 1

To be completely honest, the crowd never got to the same level after the Munoz bout and retirement ceremony. The Mousasi fight was in the cool down spot. They tried to get back up for the main event, but there was nothing exciting enough to warrant the same reaction as the Munoz fight. That hurt the quality of the main event a bit. Hell, the Delos Reyes vs. Sangcha-an fight had more heat than the main and deservedly won the Fight of the Night.

The problem was Faber showed probably too much respect to Edgar in the middle of the fight. A Urijah Faber without the threat to takedown, quickly submit, or catch someone with a good right hand is basically end-of-his-WEC featherweight run, improvising Urijah Faber. Yeah, that guy is going to lose every round to today's version of Frankie Edgar.

• Like 1