DVDVR Message Board

Veep

Craig H

Amy in a t-shirt and pajama pants, sending out booty calls, is basically everything. Ahem...

In non-creep observations, they are making great use of Richard this year (not that they didn't last year too, but he's been a highlight). Him craving his dad's email handle killed me.

Veep took the lead yesterday against Silicon Valley with classics like:

The Eagle: "I want you to get me on the horn with Ned Mitchell from the "Las Vegas Gazette" and Susan Bailey with the "Reno Star.""
Jonah (20 minutes later): "Ned Mitchell died in 2006. And the "Las Vegas Gazette" stopped publishing in 2007. I was able to get in touch with Susan Bailey at the "Reno Star", which is not a newspaper, it's a legal brothel. But she did seem excited to help the campaign in whichever way she could."

Selina: "What if he takes a shit on the table or something?"
Ben: "Ma'am, at his age, if he can take a shit whenever he wants, that's a major victory."

Amy: "You sold your dick for bulk iced tea and off-brand cough syrup."

Selina: "All right, Amy, this meeting cannot make it past the School Book Depository."
Amy: "I'm loading my gun and heading to the sixth floor."

Baird: "We just heard a lovely story about the Queen of England."
Selina: "She's a fucking cunt."

Any of course the evergreen "Tell Jonah to shut the fuck up." - "Shut the fuck up."

I actually thought last night's Silicon Valley was the weakest of the bunch. Something about it felt really weird. Veep though, wins for Roger Furlong spitting the HOTTEST fire at Mike. HOLY SHIT. That was one of the most brutal verbal beatdowns in the history of the show. The alternate takes are just as brutal. Dan Bakkedahl is awesome.

So tonight was a pretty big deal in the sense that Selena Meier has gone from vain incompetent quack to full on Lex Luthor demented supervillain.

The only thing that has progressed more toward the totality of its purest state is Hugh Laurie's bald spot.

There were a lot of times throughout this episode where I laughed and immediately said out loud, "I shouldn't have laughed at that", even though it was intentional humor. That was an episode full of some dark humor. The Eagle during the credits was my favorite part, too.

It's all but a foregone conclusion that she somehow gets re-elected, right? Especially since HBO renewed them for a 6th season. Selena as a private citizen doesn't seem as interesting.

I'm kind of excited to see how realistically they do this.  The actual rules regarding a tie electoral college are way more complicated than just "The House votes."

The House doesn't vote.  Each state delegation gets one vote.  I have no idea how those delegations are chosen. In reality that would mean that a republican would easily win because so many states are gerrymandered right now.  But the show doesn't really adopt party identities and will more likely play with the idea that some house races are still up in the air and the house is divided and they can't work it out. 

Meanwhile the senate meets to elect a veep.  But if the House can't figure it out then the Veep picked by the senate becomes acting president until the deadlock is broken.  That could mean Tom James becomes acting president and names an acting Vice President I think? Remember he joked about her being his Veep at the end of last season.

There are any number of ways she could end up back where she started and it's probably going to be a glorious sendup of our idiotic system.

My girlfriend has been caught up with Veep for awhile now because I re-watched the entire series with her because she wanted to watch it. Through re-watching it, I developed a strong sense of hate for Selena and Gary. I want to see her lose nearly as much as I want to watch the Underwoods lose. I'm actually not sure who is worse, Selena or Frank/Claire.

As for Silicon Valley, that episode pretty much cemented it as one of my favorite series of all-time. I have my girlfriend nearly caught up on that as well. I watched last night's episode before she went to bed, but before she did, we watched the season 3 finale. She said that was one of the most intense episodes of a tv show she's ever seen, mainly referring to the end of the episode. I have to agree. It's even up there with Doc Brown trying to rig up the clock tower during the storm so Marty can go back to 1985. The first time I watched the season 3 finale, it was nearly unbearable. This time around, I was giggling like crazy watching my girlfriend freak out. What was even better was seeing her get emotionally upset when Richard finds out he gets removed as CEO. With tears in her eyes, she agreed that he wasn't a good CEO, almost as if she watched the first episode of season 4. Bonus for me too, the first time I watched the season 3 finale, I didn't realize that Gavin losing the arbitration AND Richard finding out he was fired were both extensions of Schrodinger's Cat from the previous episode.

I love Silicon Valley. It's so awesome. When the guys walk in and see Laurie sitting in the chair and Laurie tells them their moving forward with the platform, I started clapping and pumping my fist. Rarely do I mark out over a tv show like that. It was a victory without a total loss. Rare for that series.

God that was a crazy intense episode.  Veep has kind of been kicking Silicon Valley's ass the last couple of weeks.

"and that's my final solution...what?  Who wants to be a millionaire!"

I'm starting to think that since Veep is a depiction of what is supposed ot be our actual real-world government, it is in a way even more nihilistic and sould-deadening than Game of Thrones.

"She has gone full metal Nixon."

Also, are they like deliberately fucking with me with this running hot Wendy's lady tease joke?  It's just fucking cruel at this point.

LOLOLOL you were the first person I thought of when Candi/Wendy's Girl showed back up. Veep was fucking hilarious. 

I also firmly believe that Selena is worse than Frank Underwood. 

Jonah and Dan bonding over their mutual hatred of Selena was as big an emotional moment as Sansa and Jon Snow being reunited.

Also I feel like tonight we saw something of the endgame for this show, which is Jonah defeating Selena Meyer for the white house in four years.

21 hours ago, piranesi said:

Jonah and Dan bonding over their mutual hatred of Selena was as big an emotional moment as Sansa and Jon Snow being reunited.

Also I feel like tonight we saw something of the endgame for this show, which is Jonah defeating Selena Meyer for the white house in four years.

This has to happen.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

This has to happen.

Either that or he will get elected to the house on an "I hate Selena Meyer" platform and then somehow be the deciding vote and for some reason be forced to vote for her for president thereby destroying his new career.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Either that or he will get elected to the house on an "I hate Selena Meyer" platform and then somehow be the deciding vote and for some reason be forced to vote for her for president thereby destroying his new career.

This seems more in line with this show. A flash forward by 4 years seems uncharacteristic.

If they did that though, wow, that would be cool.

They do tend to play pretty loose with time though. If they are in for another two years after this one I could see them just jumping into the next election cycle. 

They're too obsessed with the processes of moving up or down the ladder to just have her be president for two years with nothing at stake. 

it would make the entire show and entire Selena story just the prelude to the Jonahpocalypse.  Which would be like Buffy season 8 and would probably have to be done in graphic novel form. 

It took me 45 minutes to watch the whole thing because I had to rewind half of the scenes because I was laughing too hard halfway through to hear the jokes at the end.

Selina: "That doesn't look like Santa."
Kent (I think): "The White House officially celebrates Diwali, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Mawlid al-Nabi, the alleged birth date of the prophet Muhammad."
Selina: "Well, I suppose putting a few pictures up of Muhammad never hurt anyone."
Mike: "Ma'am, I'm getting a lot of press interest about Catherine and, you know, her condition."
Selina: "What? She's a lesbian, Mike. She's not a werewolf. Although either one would explain why she never shaves her legs."