DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 65: Miocic vs. Hunt (5/9/2015) - Adelaide, South Australia, Australia (Adelaide Entertainment Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_65_Miocic_vs._Hunt_Poste

UFC Fight Night 65: Miocic vs. Hunt

May 9, 2015

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia (Adelaide Entertainment Centre)

Stipe Miocic (243) vs. Mark Hunt (266) - Miocic, TKO (punches), R5 (2:47)

Robert Whittaker (185) vs. Brad Tavares (184) - Whittaker, KO (punches), R1 (0:44)

Anthony Perosh (205) vs. Sean O'Connell (205) - O'Connell, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (0:56)

Jake Matthews (155) vs. James Vick (156) - Vick, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (4:53)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Hatsu Hioki (146) vs. Dan Hooker (145) - Hooker, KO (head kick and punches), R2 (4:13)

Kyle Noke (170) vs. Jonavin Webb (170) - Noke, DEC (split)

Daniel Kelly (186) vs. Sam Alvey (185) - Alvey, KO (punches), R1 (0:49)

Bec Rawlings (115) vs. Lisa Ellis (115) - Rawlings, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:09)

Dylan Andrews (185) vs. Brad Scott (185) - Scott, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (4:54)

Alex Chambers (115) vs. Kailin Curran (116) - Chambers, SUB (armbar), R3 (3:15)

Vik Grujic (170) vs. Brendan O'Reilly (170) - O'Reilly, DEC (unanimous)

Alptekin Özkiliç (126) vs. Ben Nguyen (126) - Nguyen, TKO (punches), R1 (4:59)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Alex Chambers
Performance of the Night: Dan Hooker
Performance of the Night: James Vick
Performance of the Night: Robert Whittaker

Attendance: 7,984

Gate: $833,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Kyle Noke vs. Andreas Ståhl - Ståhl Withdrew From Bout

Bec Rawlings vs. Seo Hee Ham - Injury to Ham

When did Sam Alvey become such a standout, entertaining fighter and knockout artist?  I recall him being pretty mediocre on his season of TUF.  I also remember his performance against Tom Lawlor being pretty poor.  Oh well, can't complain about his recent results, and he definitely makes the most of his post-fight interview time.  Might not get a fight with Elias Theodorou, but it sort of makes sense for both guys.  

Happy to see Rowdy Bec finally get a UFC win.

When did Sam Alvey become such a standout, entertaining fighter and knockout artist?  I recall him being pretty mediocre on his season of TUF.  I also remember his performance against Tom Lawlor being pretty poor.  Oh well, can't complain about his recent results, and he definitely makes the most of his post-fight interview time.  Might not get a fight with Elias Theodorou, but it sort of makes sense for both guys.  

Happy to see Rowdy Bec finally get a UFC win.

He was a pretty solid fighter before the UFC. However, it helps that he is fighting other super awkward fighters. I'm fine with him being the "trim the roster fat" guy.

• Like 1

Robert Whittaker is a great example of showing how speed and technique can overcome size against larger opponents.  He just knocked out the No. 14 ranked guy in the division.  Tavares is a pretty big win for him.

Whittaker might have just entered that "we need someone to fight a lower ranked top middleweight" fray which they so desperately need to fill up. Crazy thing is he might beat some of those guys. Middleweight is really one of the non-lower weight divisions ripe for the picking at the bottom. Guys at heavyweight ranked at 8 and below can stay there because the true prospects aren't there and those established guys have names. It just takes a one or two promising guys at middleweight to send dudes to the FS1 prelim opener.

• Like 1

Where does Hunt go from here? Retirement or ?

I bet he is back for UFC 193. Personally, I think he should retire there win or lose.

As for the strawweight fights, they were fine. They both had nice finishes.

How were the two strawweight fights?

They were both pretty good.  One had Alex Chambers pulling off a nice comeback submission win.  The other had Rawlings pull off a first round submission.

Also, hope Alvey doesn't get fired for wearing that stupid spray on tan logo to the cage.  Should've known better.

Hunt has probably been my favorite MMA fighter/story over the past couple of years but I was sorta worried heading into this fight. It went so much worse than I had feared.

There is always the chance his conditioning was just that much worse than usual and I guess putting him into the UFC's heavyweight seniors division might not be a disaster, but he's a 40 year old guy who has taken a lot of shots over the years who just ate so much more of a beating than is really justifiable (much respect for gutting it through to the end of round 3 but he should have never been allowed back out afterwards.) I love the guy but this should maybe be it.

• Like 1