DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Considering that the lower budget Daredevil is miles ahead of Agents of SHIELD and 1/2 of the Marvel flicks, I'm not sure Netflix can be considered "slumming".  They seem to know how to pick their projects well, and make sure they are quality, for the most part.

Random episode of TJ HOOKER somehow has the following people in it:

- Deborah Foreman!

- Jerry Lee Lewis

- The guy who became the most interesting man alive

- The guy who kidnapped the little white kid they got when Gary Coleman stopped being cute on DIFFERENT STROKES

- This guy from OVER THE TOP

11713286_ori.jpg

What a bounty!

News from TV

The Mindy Project officially got cancelled. Unconfirmed reports The Following is too.

Izombie has been renewed

CBS ordered the Supergirl series

I really liked Mindy, even if it never quite figured out what it wanted to be and had a very annoying supporting cast. Rumors are swirling about Hulu picking it up, though I'd rather netflix did. Galavant renewed by ABC. . . 

I always think The Mindy Project was an example of thinking a super talented person could carry a mediocre show and irritating supporting characters...and that not really happening. Maybe like Spader on The Blacklist.

CBS doing Supergirl...well, it won't be a disaster (CBS' stuff is usually decent), but, yeah, it's not going to be Daredevil. Is she still going to be a cop in this version?

Every show on CBS absolutely has to have a cop, of course.

Just saw a bit about stars who passed on what could have been huge roles for them.  Some odd "how would that have worked?" stuff.  Scott Foley and Jennifer Love Hewitt were offered the roles of Ted and Robin on How I Met Your Mother.  Rob Lowe offered the Grey's Anatomy role that went to Patrick Dempsey.  Dana Delaney turned down the lead role on Sex and the City, etc.

The one that blew my mind was Matthew Broderick turning down the role of Walter White.  I.....cannot see Broderick working in that role over the long haul.

Thomas Jane was offered the role of Don Draper on Mad Men.  Does that guy know how to avoid success or what? 

"

The one that blew my mind was Matthew Broderick turning down the role of Walter White.  I.....cannot see Broderick working in that role over the long haul.

Matthew Broderick and John Cusack.  Both would have been a disaster.

To be fair - there is no guarantee that a Thomas Jane Mad Men would have been a success

Yeah, I wonder about that any time I see stories like this.  Even if it sounds like an upgrade on paper, it's quite possible that you're changing some ingredient that prevents the show from becoming a success.  It sounds like a slam dunk to hire x (well-known, well-respected, already has a fanbase) instead of y (unknown, no experience), but maybe the show doesn't work if you do that even though it should.

I kinda wonder how HIMYM turns out if Foley and Hewitt get the roles instead of Smulders and Radnor.  Radnor had less than a dozen screen credits, at that point, and Smulders was mostly known for being a regular on Veritas: The Quest (canceled after four eps).  Maybe the cast doesn't have the same chemistry without those two.  I'm especially dubious because neither JLH or Scott Foley have much of a background in comedy.

I'm trying to imagine Matthew Broderick (or Cusack) shaving his head and pulling off drug-kingpin Walter White.  I want to giggle.

Oops: double post.

On a related note, I discovered that Rose McIver of IZombie was a regular on one of the Mighty Morphin Power Ranger shows.  She might be the most successful alum.  Has worked steadily, already been a regular on four or five shows (couple NZ series before Power Rangers, iirc).

Out of curiosity, who else went from a Power Rangers show to better things?  I'm under the impression (maybe incorrect) that most of the actors who get cast on Power Rangers don't make it big afterwards.  Only other person I can remember being on PW and getting regular mainstream work is Amy Jo Johnson, who went on to become a regular on Felicity, Flashpoint, and generally has worked reasonably steady since Power Rangers.

I'm trying to imagine Matthew Broderick (or Cusack) shaving his head and pulling off drug-kingpin Walter White.  I want to giggle.

There's an alternate universe where people are praising Broderick/Cusack's amazing performance and snickering at the idea that "Malcolm's dad" could have ever payed that role. 

On a related note, I discovered that Rose McIver of IZombie was a regular on one of the Mighty Morphin Power Ranger shows.  She might be the most successful alum.  Has worked steadily, already been a regular on four or five shows (couple NZ series before Power Rangers, iirc).

Out of curiosity, who else went from a Power Rangers show to better things?  I'm under the impression (maybe incorrect) that most of the actors who get cast on Power Rangers don't make it big afterwards.  Only other person I can remember being on PW and getting regular mainstream work is Amy Jo Johnson, who went on to become a regular on Felicity, Flashpoint, and generally has worked reasonably steady since Power Rangers.

The ones from the later seasons seem to get work, not starring roles but work.

You can tell Amy Jo John son needs money if she is talking about Power Rangers. 

On a related note, I discovered that Rose McIver of IZombie was a regular on one of the Mighty Morphin Power Ranger shows. She might be the most successful alum. Has worked steadily, already been a regular on four or five shows (couple NZ series before Power Rangers, iirc).

Out of curiosity, who else went from a Power Rangers show to better things? I'm under the impression (maybe incorrect) that most of the actors who get cast on Power Rangers don't make it big afterwards. Only other person I can remember being on PW and getting regular mainstream work is Amy Jo Johnson, who went on to become a regular on Felicity, Flashpoint, and generally has worked reasonably steady since Power Rangers.

Johnny Yong Bosch is one of the more frequently used voice actors for English anime dubs and video games.

Just saw a bit about stars who passed on what could have been huge roles for them.  Some odd "how would that have worked?" stuff.  Scott Foley and Jennifer Love Hewitt were offered the roles of Ted and Robin on How I Met Your Mother.  Rob Lowe offered the Grey's Anatomy role that went to Patrick Dempsey.  Dana Delaney turned down the lead role on Sex and the City, etc.

Thomas Jane was offered the role of Don Draper on Mad Men.  Does that guy know how to avoid success or what? 

"

Off the top of my head:

Don Johnson turned down the leads in NCIS and CSI: Miami

Karl Urban turned down the lead in Sleepy Hollow

Ray Liotta was first choice for Tony Soprano

Angela Lansbury was first choice for the role of Bedelia on Hannibal. Jessica Fletcher on a show about cannibalism would have been interesting.

Don Johnson has made some not great career moves to be fair.

"

Off the top of my head:

Angela Lansbury was first choice for the role of Bedelia on Hannibal. Jessica Fletcher on a show about cannibalism would have been interesting.

Oh God that would have been awesome.  She can do scary dead eyes so good I bet.  And how much more vulnerable and fragile would she seem sitting across from Mads?  That would have been so tense.

Damn,,,,I should never ever get interested in a show on FOX man. Backstrom had wormed it's way into my viewing schedule pretty fast, and I was looking forward to much more. Feels like Almost Human again.

I think the most famous one is Sean Connery passing on the Lord of The Rings trilogy after being offered 15% of the box office.

He also passed on Morpheus in The Matrix because he didn't understand the script.

Will Smith turned down the lead role for very much the same reason.

Which is weird because, really, it was the more the sequels that were totally incomprehensible. The first movie is simple enough.

I think Smith also wanted Neo to tell jokes, which the directors didn't like the idea of.