DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

At this point unless the ratings drop off big time The Simpsons will easily make 30 seasons because we know Matt Groening won't stop the show when it stills make alot of money even if the quality has been down for 10+ seasons.

Occasionally they still have good episodes. Even the bad ones have genuinely funny scenes. But yeah, Fox isn't cancelling The Simpsons unless one of the main voice actors dies and even then they would probably work around that.

At this point unless the ratings drop off big time The Simpsons will easily make 30 seasons because we know Matt Groening won't stop the show when it stills make alot of money even if the quality has been down for 10+ seasons.

Occasionally they still have good episodes. Even the bad ones have genuinely funny scenes. But yeah, Fox isn't cancelling The Simpsons unless one of the main voice actors dies and even then they would probably work around that.

It bums me out that it's been bad (seasons 10-wherever we are now) more than twice as long as it was the Greatest Show In TV History (seasons 2-8).

• Like 1

Fox has renewed the Simpsons for two more years (27th and 28th season)

At the end of that - they will still be 10 episodes behind Gunsmoke for the all time record (635 episodes)

I refuse to believe that this show has been around since my Freshman year of college.

Even longer if you count the short clips from The Tracey Ullman Show.

• Like 1

Woman in a wheelchair won a treadmill on The Price is Right

This is nearly as funny as the big deal in Baltimore where the 87 year old lady won $5K a week for life from a scratcher.

That they do which is why I still record the new episodes on the DVR each week. For fun what is everyone's least favorite episode of The Simpsons?  

Mine is the crossword puzzle one.

That they do which is why I still record the new episodes on the DVR each week. For fun what is everyone's least favorite episode of The Simpsons?  

Mine is the crossword puzzle one.

The one where Bart joins the boy band and the one where Homer hits the alligator are both pretty terrible. I actually kinda liked Saddlesore Galactica and the Principal and the Pauper. The plots were messes but they had some funny lines.

"If that horse doesn't win, we're taking a trip to the glue factory.......and he won't get to come."

Armin: And I'm not Seymour.  My name is Armin.  This is Armin's apartment, Armin's liquor, Armin's copy of "Swank", Armin's frozen peas.

Homer: Can I see your copy of "Swank", Armin?

Armin: Yes, you can.

• Like 1

At the end of that - they will still be 10 episodes behind Gunsmoke for the all time record (635 episodes)

I refuse to believe that this show has been around since my Freshman year of college.

It freaks me out that when this show started officially I was 18.  Fucking 18.  In the time this show has been on, people have gone from boy to man to old man.

Worst episode for me was the Jockey episode.  It was the first time I realized that they were trying to "catch up" to SOUTH PARK by being creepy or edgy and that it couldn't work.  The show had been outflanked by newer things and could never get back to the front of the line.

It freaks me out that when this show started officially I was 18.  Fucking 18.  In the time this show has been on, people have gone from boy to man to old man.

Worst episode for me was the Jockey episode.  It was the first time I realized that they were trying to "catch up" to SOUTH PARK by being creepy or edgy and that it couldn't work.  The show had been outflanked by newer things and could never get back to the front of the line.

That episode was a satire of what people had been accusing the show of being. The bits with Comic Book Guy pointing out various errors was a big clue.

There are Usenet post from 1994 with people saying "Homer Goes To College" is terrible and the show was better in season 1. To put it in perspective.

Why I try to make people who hate the show into white noise.

That is what I mean, it puts into perspective the mindset of certain viewers. I think the Jump the Shark idea is one of the worst things to happen to TV. Because it changed the thought process from hills and valleys to "this is ruined forever". 

EDIT: meant to add the usenet post were from 1994.

Also Behind the Laughter got a lot of hate when it aired.

Homer goes to College was great.  I also loved the "Behind the Music" parody.  That to me was I think the last time I was blown away at an episode being really novel and clever.

Fame was like a drug. But what was more like a drug were all the drugs.

• Like 2

Yeah, Behind the Laughter is probably the last "great" classic episode, although it's had decent moments since then.

"The fame and success was like a drug for me. But you know what was more like a drug? The drugs."

I officially tapped out when Ralph ran for President. I realized I hadn't laughed at all and the episode was actively making me angry.

These days I can't really go beyond Homer Simpson vs the City of New York on FXNow.

Woman in a wheelchair won a treadmill on The Price is Right

This is nearly as funny as the big deal in Baltimore where the 87 year old lady won $5K a week for life from a scratcher.

I believe a black woman won a tanning bed on a game show years ago--I'm thinking The Price is Right is guilty on that one.

• Like 1

Eh, I don't mind The Simpsons continuing to make people money. Contrary to all the sweat shop jokes they've had on the show, I believe they pay the Asian artists quite well and at least it's keeping people employed.

But just don't call it art or comedy. That's all.

IMO, after season ten, they should have done the Daria thing where Bart, Lisa and Maggie actually got older as the show progressed.

It would have opened up a lot more interesting storylines.

IMO, after season ten, they should have done the Daria thing where Bart, Lisa and Maggie actually got older as the show progressed.

That is a terrible idea.

One of my favorite Simpsons moments is Deputy Dog in Behind the Laughter. "I was soo gay...but I couldn't tell anybody!"

"I want to make one thing clear...I thought the cop was a prostitute!"

*smug nod*

That is a terrible idea.

Worse than the last 15 years?

Slacker college kid Bart would have been intriguing.