DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Greggulator.

Explain this.

0.jpg

Check the Land of Confusion thread about it, too.

Real talk. I was thinking about the show the other day and wondered, there has got to be someway we can get a Kickstarter for a remake of Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego. I mean if Reading Rainbow can get one, and geography skills amongst 10-14 year olds are at an all time low there's no way this show shouldn't be brought back for kids.

Fowler, Burgundy, I, and the other execs of DVDVR Films / She Ain't Right Productions will look into this.

IIRC, Rock's got a better box office track record than most of the major stars (Pitt, Jolie, Clooney, Aniston, etc.)

The difference is: His private life is, well, private, and he's not in and out of the gossip pages as much, so he doesn't really get the wisespread press attention others do.

Like, if he dated Taylor Swift or Rihanna or something we would hear about him WAY more.

The Rock is not a huge draw but he is a dependable one.  His agent needs to get him better gigs than Doom and Hercules, though.

This is the second time that Carla Gugino has been the Rock's love interest in a movie.   SHENANIGANS!

Have most of Rock's movies done good box office?  'Cause there are only a few which weren't bad (and a lot of his better films have been ones he's had smaller roles in).

The Rock draws money.  Even the 'eh" Hercules earned 271 mil on a 100 mill budget.  He's been in some critically suspect movies that have still made a profit.  I think that Doom is the only bad movie / flop he's been in but that was at the genesis of his movie career and he's gotten light years better since then.

Really enjoyed Grace and Frankie. It's a sitcom premise, but it mixes a lot of depth and truth in with the easy jokes. The entire ensemble is amazing, but I'm especially happy to see Lily Tomlin crushing it. As a How Did This Get Made fan it's really cool to see June Diane Raphael almost walk away with the show too. I also tried Aquarius. I like David Duchovony, but this just did nothing for me. I'm not sure if Bray Wyatt has watched a lot of Manson interviews or the guy playing Charlie has watched a lot of Bray promos.

Have most of Rock's movies done good box office?  'Cause there are only a few which weren't bad (and a lot of his better films have been ones he's had smaller roles in).

The Rock draws money.  Even the 'eh" Hercules earned 271 mil on a 100 mill budget.  He's been in some critically suspect movies that have still made a profit.  I think that Doom is the only bad movie / flop he's been in but that was at the genesis of his movie career and he's gotten light years better since then.

No more rundowns or walking talls for Dwayne.

Rundown wasn't terrible.  I mean, he wasn't the only name in that movie and they all walked away unscathed.  

Walking Tall on the other hand..., oof.

Rundown wasn't terrible. I mean, he wasn't the only name in that movie and they all walked away unscathed.

Walking Tall on the other hand..., oof.

The Rundown was a super fun movie, any time that comes on I'm watching it to the end.

Walking Tall took itself way to seriously and is a chore to watch.

• Like 2

I feel like there needs to be some kind of critical re-evaluation of HALT AND CATCH FIRE.

It kinda got written off by critics and the public alike when it first came out and I only half-heartedly watched bits and pieces of it during that run, but after binge watching the whole 1st season over the weekend...this turned into a damn good show by the end.

I can't really fault people from overlooking it, I guess. The name is terrible, right up there with TERRIERS all-time in terms of abstract names sabotaging good shows. (Is it a show about firemen? Arsonists? Spontaneous human combustion? No, it's about computers in the 80's, silly!) And, on the surface, the premise seems both dry (they're gonna make a laptop!) and blatantly derivative of AMC's flagship dramas (Gordon Clark is a repressed genius; Joe MacMillan is a dapper, smooth-talking salesman with a secret, dark past who's prone to disappearing without warning). But the show does at times manage to make the business of creating a laptop both suspenseful and exhilarating, and it does gradually evolve into something more than "offbrand Walter White and Don Draper team-up," thanks in large part to a pair of really well done female characters who defy type and gradually rise to become almost-co-leads with the men.

The first 5 episodes are up and down in terms of quality, but starting in the sixth episode, it really starts to build, and by the time the gang loads up the station wagon and heads to COMDEX, I was 100% invested in seeing them succeed. I liked where the show ultimately left things, and now I suddenly find myself anticipating the 2nd season premiere this coming Sunday.

It doesn't have the plotting of BREAKING BAD, or find the poetry in the mundane like MAD MEN (and Don Draper would crush Joe MacMillan head-to-head for an account), but it is it's own thing and very worth your while if you can stick with it.

I don't know why I kept watching HALT AND CATCH FIRE when I wasn't very nto it in the beginning, but I did.  I found the main character more irriating than mysterious or misunderstood, which is the vibe I though the writers were going for with him.  I agree with you about the female leads though.  They are very good, and likely the main reason I stuck with the show.

Anyway, the tv critics I trust are saying the second season starts off strong so I'll be back with it.

Edited by _MJ_