DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

I liked It Follows right up until the nonsense at the pool. The kid throwing the sheet over it had me guffawing. Which I don't think was the intention.

The weird part was that the method of elimination was so random.  There wasn't even any foreshadowing to clue you in that what they were proposing to do might actually work.

At least The Blob had that AHA~! moment where people figured out that cold was an effective weapon.

Speaking of The Blob, at the end of the original 1958 classic, the Navy drops what is left of the Blob is dropped off somewhere in the Arctic and there was a fairly entertaining sequel called Beware! The Blob!.where an oil pipeline worker accidentally brings a sample of the Blob home and it thaws.

I wonder why no one has tried to do a sequel to the 1988 reboot of The Blob and make a global warming cautionary tale out of it?   Sounds like another project for DVDVR Films.

I liked It Follows right up until the nonsense at the pool. The kid throwing the sheet over it had me guffawing. Which I don't think was the intention.

The weird part was that the method of elimination was so random. There wasn't even any foreshadowing to clue you in that what they were proposing to do might actually work.
There's little hints throughout that water would be the thing to save her but it's less direct. I'd need to rewatch to pick specifics. But I definitely remember it seeming like water was a weakness.

A film editor buddy of mine put together this Vincent Price thing late last year - a bunch of clips of his movies & other appearances, tied together with a loose reincarnation theme (it comes off like all his different movie roles are his past lives).  Today, on what would have been Vincent Price's 104th birthday, TwitchFilm put it on their site.  He wanted me to spread the word, so here's the link!

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/05/twitchfilm-presents-the-unauthorized-hagiography-of-vincent-price.html

• Like 2

I wonder why no one has tried to do a sequel to the 1988 reboot of The Blob and make a global warming fable out of it?   Sounds like another project for DVDVR Films.

Rob Zombie is actually doing one, last I heard. Surely it will have 100% more swearing and 100% no "global warming fable".

Speaking of Vincent, this most lovely of tributes plays on TCM every year and I have to share it. Two of my favorite people, John Waters and Vincent Price: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7SiZEMj3Y8

• Like 1

The biggest crime in all this is that there is no Alamo Drafthouse nearby.  I wish there was. Those look cool as fuck.

As long as you are willing to spend a month's rent to see a movie

• Like 1

Saw a back to back screening of the original Poltergeist that was followed by the remake at Alamo Drafthouse. Seeing the remake right after the original did not do it any favors...

It really does strike me as a shot for shot remake with modern bits thrown in to combat the 80's cultural references.

it also does not help that scary para-psychologist dude in the trailer has to pretty much spell what the ghosts are capable of in as dramatic of a voice as he can muster up in order for audiences to appreciate what is coming..  

The thing that made the original such a masterpiece is that you had no fucking clue what was going to happen and no one felt the need to explain what was going on.  It was better that way.

When I saw this in the theaters:

poltergeist2.jpg

I nearly shit my pants.

The problem is it tries to be both a shot for shot and introduce new ideas and then never do much with them. It just felt like another in a long line of haunted house films. 

Cary Fukunaga's adaptation of Stephen King's "IT!" has been shitcanned.

This makes me sad.  Fukunaga was going in the right direction. If this ever sees the light of day in theaters, we'll get a version that is under two hours for the ADHD crowd and it will be crap.

Netflix or Amazon needs to pick up the two-parter project.

No, Fuk-U-naga!

Clown finally got a wide release trailer.

Normally, Eli Roth's self indulgence is a deal breaker for me, but I find myself needing to check this out.

That is a ridiculous concept. How stupid. And Eli Roth? Please. No thank-- Peter Stormare? I'm in!

I wonder why no one has tried to do a sequel to the 1988 reboot of The Blob and make a global warming fable out of it?   Sounds like another project for DVDVR Films.

Rob Zombie is actually doing one, last I heard. Surely it will have 100% more swearing and 100% no "global warming fable".

"We really need to know how the blob got that way.  How many times was it molested?  How many drunken boyfriends did its meth-addict mom bring home to their trailer?  I mean, it was okay before, but now it will be so real, you know.  I'm also working on this great tie in with The Thing where The Thing and the blob are both in therapy with like Carrie Fisher or someone, and they both realize that they were abused by the same guidance counselor. 

I'm a movie director."

• Like 6

Clown finally got a wide release trailer.

Normally, Eli Roth's self indulgence is a deal breaker for me, but I find myself needing to check this out.

That is a ridiculous concept. How stupid. And Eli Roth? Please. No thank-- Peter Stormare? I'm in!

I thought the very same thing.  "This has got to be the dumbest plot I've ever... PETER STORMARE~??"

• Like 1

Almost forgot.  I actually watched Clown yesterday while waiting on FiOS to get to my new house..   My homie in the UK sent me his copy so that I could watch on my region free DVD player.

It is a really slow starter but there are some fun bits for you ghouls out there.   The premise really is laughable but it is an effective of a classic Cronenberg body horror film as I have seen in a while.  Peter Stormare is fucking awesome.

I wonder why no one has tried to do a sequel to the 1988 reboot of The Blob and make a global warming fable out of it? Sounds like another project for DVDVR Films.

"We really need to know how the blob got that way. How many times was it molested? How many drunken boyfriends did its meth-addict mom bring home to their trailer? I mean, it was okay before, but now it will be so real, you know. I'm also working on this great tie in with The Thing where The Thing and the blob are both in therapy with like Carrie Fisher or someone, and they both realize that they were abused by the same guidance counselor.

I'm a movie director."

All this is fair. But the man did make The Devil's Rejects. So he continues getting a pass from me.

Lords of Salem was pretty good too.

All this is fair. But the man did make The Devil's Rejects. So he continues getting a pass from me.

You mean, "Tutti fuckin' Frutti! Tutti fuckin' Frutti!" That film? That one, right? "Tutti fuckin' Frutti?"

Nah, I personally didn't care for it.

RIP Betsy Palmer. 

I just saw her not long ago show up in an episode of COLUMBO married to Rip Torn. 

It's hard to imagine my favorite horror franchise without her just absolutely devouring her few scenes.

Also everyone avoid the refrigerator for a few days.

• Like 1

Fuck! There goes an important part of my ultimate Friday the 13th sequel script... but seriously, Betsy had a long career full of amazing variety, RIP.

(...I'm also totally serious about that script. It would have ruled...)

I will say this about Rob Zombie: he has a clear visual style and motif, and is able to establish that in all of his films. I can watch a Rob Zombie movie for 30 seconds without ever having seen it before and I'm pretty sure that I would think "This is a Rob Zombie movie". That's hard to do, and is a credit to the effort he clearly puts in to every aspect of his movies. I also think it's quite romantic and charming that he clearly thinks his wife is the most attractive, entertaining, and talented woman ever to be featured on film. It's just unfortunate that he is incorrect, and his movies suffer because of it. 

When the legal stuff for Broadstreet Bullies finally gets sorted out the movie will rule. I don't know if I'll bother with the self-financed project he's working on in the meantime. I think Zombie has a great movie in him. I don't know if it'll actually ever materialize.