DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

mother! now sits on a 68% Fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes, so it can at least say that it enjoyed mixed to positive reviews even if it tanks at the box office. 

The positive exit buzz may translate to decent DVD sales, so the movie still has a chance to make some money.

Two days out and the review embargo for Flatliners is still up.  This does not bode well.

Innocent Blood is pretty good but Anthony LaPaglia is pretty stiff in it. I kind of want to like it more than American Werewolf because it's more fun and doesn't have such a somber ending, but it's just not as good. Tom Savini and Sam Raimi showing up was fun; that seemed to be a thing around that period of time that genre directors did a lot. Anne Parillaud just walking around in the buff was an audacious way of opening the movie, and Robert Loggia is typically scenery-devouring. 

I also liked the twist of being able to kill a vampire by shooting them in the head or breaking their neck, but Loggia getting rammed into a bus by a taxi would certainly be a spinal injury death going by their logic

Oh, and the rest of the cast is pretty much the cast of the Sopranos which I didn't remember. And Kim Coates! 

• Like 1

No-End House has entered the slow burn phase of the series run.

This episode confirmed my initial theory that:

Spoiler

Anyone and everyone who has dared to enter Room 6 is trapped inside the house aka the "room" is a pocket universe that has "no end."

But we shall see what happens.

Don't Look Now is pretty much the best giallo that isn't really a giallo ever (aside from Santa Sangre). It's even set in Venice! Roger Ebert put it on his Great Movies list so he can explain it better than I can to you: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-dont-look-now-1974

Needless to say it goes on the Horror Top 100. That movie is fucking haunted. Gotta say though, it is a pretty big meditation on grief, so if you've lost a loved one you might want to pass

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Pino Donaggio's soundtrack is AMAZING. The part where Donald Sutherland is chasing the boat sounds like Vivaldi's "Summer" from The Four Seasons, which is the highest credit I can give any soundtrack

• Like 1

Let Us Prey is on medium rotation on Showtime.

Yes, it is pretty awesome.

Spoiler

Yes, that is Liam Cunningham aka Davos Seaworth playing the role of Satan.  It is fucking great!

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Let the Right One In just hurts. That's it. It just hurts. 

It is a painfully sweet movie.  One of the all time great vampire stories, IMO.

I legit wept during this scene.

Spoiler

I'm not real keen on the US remake, Let Me In, but that movie also manages to get this scene almost note perfect:

Spoiler

although it does cheat a little by:

Spoiler

clearly establishing that Abby is a girl instead of making her gender neutral like Eli. 

I admire the Sweedish version for taking the more difficult route of building a relationship between two characters via shared experience rather than taking the easy route that Let Me In does and letting puberty and hormones do the work for you.

Eli and Oskar's symbiotic relationship is built on mutual protection (Eli defends Oskar from bullies and Oskar is Eli's daylight guardian) while Owen and Abby's bond is clearly the traditional boy meets girl sorta thing.

Watching it again, I realized I had never noticed 

Spoiler

some of the shots of Eli actually show her as an older man. They're almost subliminal, but it happens twice that I caught. 

Then again, maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention the first couple times haha

I just finished watching XX.

XX_(2017)_poster.jpg

Overall, I thought it wasn't that bad, but it still suffers from the usual problems that most horror anthologies continue to wade though.

The writing is pretty uneven, but the acting and execution of the tales is fairly strong. 

I particularly liked Jovanka Vuckovic's adaptation of Jack Ketchum's short story, The Box, and Anne Clark's by the numbers black comedy, The Birthday Party, was helped along by an awesomely raucous score (Anne Clark is better known as indie / chamber rock performer, St. Vincent) and it also featured the best movie mom ever.

Roxanne Benjamin's Don't Fall was a bit too short for my liking, but it had a certain viciousness that I appreciated and Karyn Kusuma's Her Only Living Son could've definitely benefitted from a longer runtime (the entire movie is only an hour and twenty minutes) to help build its dread.

Probably the most unsettling thing in the movie is the series of linking segments animated by Mexican stop motion artist, Sofia Carrillo.

Cult of Chucky isn't quite as good as Curse of Chucky was in this new "return to horror" direction* but it's still solid fun. 

*And after the insane masterpiece of gross out comedy horror that was Seed, it almost has to turn back to its roots of slasher filmdom.

There was a full moon last night, graveyard shift is nearly done, and what did I pick to watch from my Horror Pile of Shame overnight?

wer-2013-horror-dvdplanetstorepk-cover2-

It didn't unseat any of my Top 3 Werewolf Movies off off the list (American Werewolf In London, The Howling, Dog Soldiers), but it is a fairly solid movie.

Syfy has announced that Season 3 of Channel Zero will be entitled Staircases and Season 4 will be entitled Hidden Door.

There are numerous staircase related creepypastas with these two being my favorites:

Not really sure which story they will cover in Season 3.

The Hidden Door episodes from Season 4 are probably covering this story.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2017 at 9:15 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Horror movie tradition is to turn tiny budgets into huge profits until the wheels fall off the sequel train.

And then you wait five-ten years and do a reboot?

JT's Horror Pile Of Shame Fest on Graveyard Shift rolls on.

Holy fuck, Train To Busan was great. 

81fMqIBrR9L._SY445_.jpg

Stupid fucking awesome ass Snowpiercer Meets 48 Days Later movie making me all weepy at six o'clock in the fucking morning.  Jesus, the ending is a gut punch to any parent watching that thing.

Million billion mother fucking stars. Highly recommended even to wusses like me that will get misty at the drop of a dime.

I cannot go to bed depressed.  Gonna get a pecan waffle to go from Waffle House to cheer me up before bailing to the 'rents to get some sleep.

2 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Surprised you hadn't seen it already, but I guess that's why it's called the Pile Of Shame.

I have attempted to sit down and watch it numerous times, but failed. 

The two hour runtime was a bit daunting and real life kicked down my door once or twice.

50 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Starz Suspense looks to be playing a bunch of shit that you might want to be on the lookout for. The Funhouse is on right now; Prince of Darkness just went off. Lots of Children of the Corn sequels though

Starz also has some stuff you may want to avoid like the plague, but will end up watching anyway out of morbid curiosity or completionism aka Underworld:  Blood Wars and Resident Evil: The Not-Quite-So-Final Chapter.

Episode 3 of Channel Zero:  No-End House was fucking awesome. 

Here is Albert Berg's recap from his Human Echoes YouTube Channel / Podcast.

And here I thought that I was the most enthusiastic viewer of the series.