DVDVR Message Board

UFC 186: Johnson vs. Horiguchi (4/25/2015) - Montréal, Québec, Canada (Bell Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

How can you be so dominant, yet so uninteresting?

Seriously, he whipped the floor with Horiguchi, but it didn't even seem like a dominant performance.

Cool, a last second armbar and all, but meh.

He's like the San Antonio Spurs of MMA. Dominant team, lack of personality.

Guest Edwin

Can someone give Demetrious Johnson Ronda Rousey's phone number so she can give him some pointers on how to make a dominant performance interesting.

Can someone give Demetrious Johnson Ronda Rousey's phone number so she can give him some pointers on how to make a dominant performance interesting.

You're so off base that it is hilarious. That's an insane comparison in a vastly different talent pool.

Guest Edwin

You're so off base that it is hilarious. That's an insane comparison in a vastly different talent pool.

Different talent pool? Yes.

And I know they're totally different fighters, but Jesus, if you're going to be dominant at least be interesting.

Please break it down with an extensive ramble wall of text.

Okay I will bite tell me how you "make" someone dominant and interesting at the same time.  People acting like winning in the 1st minute of a fight is so damn easy and people will bitch about that as well.   So basically what you are asking for is the fights to be fake in order for it to be competitive.

Johnson will always be in a no win situation with fans and I think he is now in Ben Askren "fuck you" mode.  

Guest Edwin

Considering I just mentioned Ronda Rousey, I don't think I'd complain if he won with a dominant performance within 5.

And as far as I'm concerned, there's been many dominant champs in MMA which I we are all aware of and their fights weren't uninteresting. ;)

Different talent pool? Yes.

And I know they're totally different fighters, but Jesus, if you're going to be dominant at least be interesting.

Please break it down with an extensive ramble wall of text.

Sure.

First off, the whole Spurs talking point from 2004 should be retired alongside who would win one-on-one, MJ or LeBron.

Second, he took a legitimate top ten fighter's best weapons away from him round-by-round and took any chance he had of winning away by round 3. Johnson at least realizes that everyone you face isn't going fall down within 30 seconds, especially fighters who are not massively deficient in one area or another. Once he got under Horiguchi's low kick, he mashed on the ground and dominated position. He didn't lay there and passively sit in guard. He didn't lay there and wait out the round. As soon he saw the mounted crucifix wasn't going get the job done? Modified x-pass -> armbar -> Done.

Thirdly, you can always watch something else.

Demetrious Johnson getting a submission at 4:59 in the last round was nuts.

Thomas Almeida definitely looks like one to watch.

I wish Maldonado would come with more of a gameplan than get hit, banging his head and beating his chest.  It's hot garbage.

Hey props to Dollaway.  That was probably one of the better high level performances of his career, even in a loss.  That was a fun fight with Bisping.

I stopped trying to make sense of Maldonado's fights once he turned a MMA fight into a grappling match with 3 or so years removed from being K-1 Brazil GP champ, Vitor Miranda. That is still one of the weirdest MMA fights ever.

• Like 1

How were the woman's fights on UFC fight pass?

They were actually good especially considering that they weren't that many people in the crowd early on. I think Markos has potential, but she needs to work on some of the holes in her game. I think some people were counting Daly out because she ain't the most athletic person in the world. However, she marched Markos down in the second round and gave her some shots back. I think the one thing that benefited Randa on the show was that no one knew she was capable of pulling stuff off. Now people know what her strengths are and can gauge where she is at her weakest. I think you saw signs of that against Daly because I don't this fight would be like that on the show.

The Letourneau vs. Rakoczy bout was a nice, little battle but I don't think Letourneau can really compete with the upper half of division. If she was gonna make a case, she would've stopped Rakoczy at some point or at least forced the doctor to stop it. However, I do think she can have some good matchups with some prospects and give us some vital info about where they are at.

How were the woman's fights on UFC fight pass?

They were actually good especially considering that they weren't that many people in the crowd early on. I think Markos has potential, but she needs to work on some of the holes in her game. I think some people were counting Daly out because she ain't the most athletic person in the world. However, she marched Markos down in the second round and gave her some shots back. I think the one thing that benefited Randa on the show was that no one knew she was capable of pulling stuff off. Now people know what her strengths are and can gauge where she is at her weakest. I think you saw signs of that against Daly because I don't this fight would be like that on the show.

The Letourneau vs. Rakoczy bout was a nice, little battle but I don't think Letourneau can really compete with the upper half of division. If she was gonna make a case, she would've stopped Rakoczy at some point or at least forced the doctor to stop it. However, I do think she can have some good matchups with some prospects and give us some vital info about where they are at.

women's fights were decent. daly showed off some skill but not some world beater talent. markos showed off some strengths but i don't see her being a top talent.

letourneau seemed a good bit better than rokoczy but, again, not a world beater. i look forward to seeing most of these women fight again. 

women's strawweight (which i wasn't interested in when it was announced, or when TUF was airing) is surprisingly entertaining, and i am now constantly looking forward to the fights. in fact, i only watched the fight pass prelims because of the two women's fights.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
Because People Need to Learn Sometimes