DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Some more notes from our good friend, Devin Faraci.

If you're going to assemble the greatest superheros on your earth you're gonna need a threat to fight. So what - or who - is the threat that the Justice League will face in Justice League? Is it Darkseid, who was heavily hinted at in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice? Is it an evil Superman, as also heavily hinted at in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice? Or is it... a minor character who only showed up in BvS' deleted scenes?

Yup, it's Steppenwolf. When the deleted scene of Lex Luthor meeting a monster in his Kryptonian warm bath first popped up online the internet thought that monster was Steppenwolf. I couldn't believe it - the monster barely looked like Steppenwolf, and in fact his whole aesthetic was nothing like that of the New Gods, the corner of the DC Comics universe from which Steppenwolf arises. But I was wrong! Boy was I wrong. 

In Justice League Steppenwolf has a contentious history with Darkseid, which could be why he's invading the Earth. But stopping him - and, I'm assuming, his Parademon hordes - requires more power than the members of the Justice League can muster, and so they must turn to a dead friend for help...

Darkseid is a presence in the movie, and fully appears at the end of the film, but don't expect him to do much. The other DC solo movies between Justice League and Justice League 2 take place in realish time - ie, The Flash takes place after Justice League - so whatever evil plan Darkseid has will wait until Justice League 2 to be revealed.

A shared cinematic universe is, to use a cliche, like a big ass boat. It's hard to turn a big ass boat - you really have to swing that sucker around, and it can take some time. The DC Movieverse is, in this case, the big ass boat, and I keep hearing whispers that it's getting reoriented in the wake of Batman v Superman being what it is (ie, bad). 

I don't know how that's going to shake out when it comes to Justice League - the captain who was already mis-steering that boat is still steering that one! - but I think we will see that shift happening in some of the DC solo movies that are coming up. While The Flash lost director Seth Grahame-Smith WB is sticking with his script (for now, there will be rewrites as there always are rewrites), and that script is lighter and poppier, focusing on the friendship of The Flash and Cyborg, who hit it off in Justice League. Wonder Woman, I hear, is a very hopeful movie, flying in the face of the cynicism of Batman v Superman. And Warner Bros is developing another movie that definitely doesn't fit into the tone of the DC Movieverse as established: Booster Gold. 

Zack Stentz, who has credits on movies like Thor, the new Power Rangers and Agent Cody Banks, is working on the script right now. I had heard that Greg Berlanti, the guy who runs the (tonally correct) DC TVverse is producing, and a recent appearance by Stentz on the "Fatman on Batman" podcast bears this out. Thanks to Cleats and Capes for listening to the podcast and picking out a couple of facts that back up everything I've heard: Stentz is writing Booster Gold with Berlanti producing and possibly interested in directing. 

Booster is very, very different from what we've seen in the DC Movieverse so far, and the fact that this movie is even in development gives me hope and backs up the whispers I have heard that Warner Bros - and especially Ben Affleck - are very hip to what went wrong with BvS, and that the opportunity exists to fix the larger universe. 

I don't know what the status of Booster Gold is right now (it seems to be on hold), and I think it's a solo movie - ie, not the Blue and Gold buddy movie many have wanted - but the fact that it's managed to be in development at all during the Reign of Snyder is really impressive. I think there's an opening at WB where Booster Gold could suddenly see its fortunes changing, and getting closer to being a real movie.

Zack Stentz also wrote this week's episode of The Flash.

Booster Gold? If they made that into a movie I would be down. One thing with the New 52 and when Smallville, they never changed Booster so if they keep hims this selfish time travelling guy who in the end becomes the hero he wants to be, and has a smart ass robot sidekick, out should be good

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

They'd probably get more milage out of this version.

Yeah, if I had a dollar for every time someone thought that the villain's name was inspired by the band.....

I am the only college student that was ever forced to read that book.

Finally saw Batman v Superman. Y'know how when they first started making Comic Book movies 15 or so years ago and studios would take liberties with the properties and characters and think nobody would care or notice? But then over time most seemed to realize that they should stay more faithful to the source material as this would generally mean a better all around movie as well as making fans of that property happy? The films that have followed this idea for the most part have been the more successfully and critically acclaimed of the past decade and a half (X-Men, Dark Knight, Marvel) and the ones that have strayed have done poorly (Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Catwoman).

How could this movie featuring two of the most well known comic book heroes of all time get so many things wrong about their stories and characters? I know this movie has been hotly debated here for pages and pages and pages, but man, I was so let down by this film and I even went in with very low expectations after so many bad reviews. I'm not going to rehash all the things that so many people have bashed this movie for, because they are mostly all valid and I don't need to add to it. However, one thing I missed the spoiler on and the top thing that bugged me the most was Doomsday being basically a monsterized clone of Zod. What. The. Fuck? That pissed me off more than anything else in this film for some reason, and I'm not even a huge comic book fan boy. Also, the "introduction" of the other members of the Justice League by stopping the movie while Diana Prince opens files on a computer was so tacked on and poorly done.

The good things about this movie were that, even as bad as this turned out to be, I am intrigued and somewhat excited about the follow up films, depending on how they're handled. Wonder Woman was definitely the star of the show and I am very much looking forward to her own film and I do want to see more of Affleck as old man Batman in his own single film. This overstuffed and way too long of a movie had about 20 minutes of good in it's 2 1/2 hour run time. It's a shame, too. When this was announced, I was excited. This is probably my biggest movie let down in a long time. And I'm one of the few who actually didn't hate Man of Steel.

Man, what a drag this movie was.

• Like 5

I like shitting on this movie as much as the next guy but did you really need Doomsday to be a kryptonian superweapon or something? When he showed up in the comics he was unstoppable, with no backstory, just a walking fight scene plot device.

Changing the heart of a character or their role bugs me. "Clone of Zod" seems as good as anything else really. That seems to fit Doomsday for the fairly appropriate way they used him fine. 

I was fine with Doomsday being a Zod zombie-clone.  I wish I understood what Lex's plan was in unleashing him.  Heck, maybe I've forgotten something, but I don't recall what Lex's plan was for any of it.  I mean, okay, he wanted to pit Superman and Batman against each other, but why? 

I googled to see if I forgot something obvious, but this suggests I didn't and this claims that we'll understand his plot once we see the full uncut version.

I still don't understand how the Doomsday idea fit into the rest of Lex's plans.  He hates Superman because Supes is a godlike being who is so powerful and uncontrollable that Lex feels threatened and emasculated by the man of steel's mere existence.  So, his brilliant Plan B is to... create an even more powerful and uncontrollable monster and then just cross his fingers and hope for the best?  Seriously, what was Luthor's next move if Doomsday HAD succeeded?  He would've just replaced Superman with something even worse.  It's like trying to stop Godzilla by creating Ghidorah, there's just no way that it's gonna end well.  

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

I like shitting on this movie as much as the next guy but did you really need Doomsday to be a kryptonian superweapon or something? When he showed up in the comics he was unstoppable, with no backstory, just a walking fight scene plot device.

Changing the heart of a character or their role bugs me. "Clone of Zod" seems as good as anything else really. That seems to fit Doomsday for the fairly appropriate way they used him fine. 

I would've had less of a problem if they just didn't pretend it was even supposed to be Doomsday.  It's like "Deadpool" in Wolverine Origins or "Baron Zemo" in Civil War; if you're gonna make him THAT different from the original character, why even bother calling him the same thing?  Just have Luthor create some different monster, I'm sure there's dozens of "manmade rampaging Frankensteiny thing" characters in the DC canon which would've been closer to what the movie character ended up being anyway.  They could've claimed it was Bizarro and it would've been just as close to that guy as it was to Doomsday.  Hell, they could've just made it Kryptonite Man and done the exact same stuff with the character; it arguably would've been even more fitting, because then Superman would really NEED Batman and Wonder Woman's help in beating the one guy he couldn't possibly beat alone.  

18 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

The films that have followed this idea for the most part have been the more successfully and critically acclaimed of the past decade and a half (X-Men, Dark Knight, Marvel) and the ones that have strayed have done poorly (Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Catwoman).

To be fair, Daredevil was pretty faithful to the comics, arguably moreso than the Dark Knight movies were.  It just had OTHER reasons for sucking, chiefly a lot of bad casting and goofy handling which couldn't decide if they were doing Batman Returns or The Crow and then just decided to try both.  

I dunno, man. Out of all the things wrong with BvS, Doomsday being Monster-Clone of Zod just bugged me. When Lex got access to the ship and started poking around, I figured that was how Doomsday was going to be introduced since I already knew he was going to be in the film. If Doomsday had just been some specimen stored on the ship and released or any other plot device like that to introduce Doomsday, I wouldn't have minded as much. But the fact that he's really just a re-animated Zod pissed me off.

The biggest thing that hurt DD was they wrote a r-treated crime drama, then Spider-man made all the money do during the filming they started trying to turn it into a pg-13 superhero film heavy on CGI (they didn't have the budget for) and THEN the studio insisted they get it down to around 90 minutes, which forced them to cut the b-plot that explained the resolution of the a-plot.

20 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They both stood in his way of world domination. Why not try to kill them off. Seriously, he's up to shit on the low. Once it sees daylight people like Superman and Batman aren't going to just let it slide.

Would've been nice if the movie actually showed that, though.  Did he even indicate he was interested in world domination?  How did he plan on getting there?  If he had a plan, we didn't see it on screen.

45 minutes ago, tigertooth said:

Would've been nice if the movie actually showed that, though.  Did he even indicate he was interested in world domination?  How did he plan on getting there?  If he had a plan, we didn't see it on screen.

Didn't he explain it all when he was speaking with the senator?