DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I can't fuck with Superman's cereal. Batman has more flavor.  I don't know if the fears were real or if it was some huge WB smear campaign as some on Collider and other places have alluded to but there were reports of at least the domestic box office numbers "not looking good"

Maybe the articles were written by Matt D.

The smear campaign and conspiracy talk is nothing but paranoid Batman and DC fanatics.  

I doubt Disney is rooting for Batman v Superman to do well, but Civil War comes out well after that film.  And it's not like they need to smear Batman v Superman to prop up Civil War.

Personally, I don't give a shit either way. However, it is a bit weird that MovieWeb posted their biggest potential flops and was saying that a movie like BvS isn't successful unless it makes a billion dollars. And that's two weeks after all this tracking info and a few days before stuff about the pre-sales pops up. Even if they were oblivious to that, you don't have to be a math wizard to determine that every blockbuster movie doesn't need to make a billion dollars. At that point, you're just saying shit with no evidence to back it up.

I mean I saw something with Variety that says the break even is around $800m. So they were only off....a cool $200 million. You're telling me that they can't crush the Man of Steel number with the muscle that have internationally. Come on, man.

One unheralded and under-discussed income stream for stuff like BvS is the merchandising aspect. They sell toys, video games, t-shirts, commemorative cups, and about a million other things. The studio gets at least a little piece of every bit of that, but none of that income is ever reported to the public in terms of how much money the film actually drew for the studio's overall bottom line.

• Like 1

Man of Steel cleaned up on DVD/Blu Ray sales but nobody really talked about it.  The $800M break even thing is based on the movie costing $200M to produce and then another $200M in advertising but I have to think the deals they have will offset some of the cost. 

Why do I personally want it to do well? Because I'm interested in this and Suicide Squad and where they'll go after that. If the movie were to be a disaster then not only does that mean I just watched a shitty movie, it also means they might go in a different direction with the universe.

Man of Steel cleaned up on DVD/Blu Ray sales but nobody really talked about it.  The $800M break even thing is based on the movie costing $200M to produce and then another $200M in advertising but I have to think the deals they have will offset some of the cost. 

Why do I personally want it to do well? Because I'm interested in this and Suicide Squad and where they'll go after that. If the movie were to be a disaster then not only does that mean I just watched a shitty movie, it also means they might go in a different direction with the universe.

I think based on the past 3 years, the pressure of what to do next would impact Snyder rather than the direction of what they're intending to do. WB and the producers clearly have a direction that they want to go in. Snyder is just merely an instrument they're using to go about it. Snyder may have some power, but he ain't their Kevin Feige by any means. So if BvS were to slightly underperform and Suicide Squad were to perform better than expected, they would still go about it the same way whether it's justified or not. Just with someone like David Ayer at the helm instead.  

TCM is showing a bunch onf superhero serials to tie into BVS.

http://www.tcm.com/batmansuperman/

My grandfather used to talk about being drinking buddies with Robert Lowry when he travelled to LA for work, but he'd always reference him as the hero of one of the Karloff Mummy movies. He told me that story for years before I found out Lowry was Batman in one of the serials and I lost my shit.