DVDVR Message Board

Things you were wrong about

Reed

Yeah. I don't remember anything Maggie Grace has done outside being Liam Neeson's epically unlucky daughter in the Taken movies and having a little part in that one Rock movie with Billy Bob. I'd say Evangeline Lilly has just as good a film career. Emerson has a hit (ish?) network show. They're probably all tied for most successful Lost alums.

But, yeah, I think everybody expected Holloway to break out in some way - either as leading man in a successful TV series or transition into a decent movie career. They fact he's basically fallen off the map is one of those great mysteries you can only chock up to some combination of bad luck and bad choices.

I thought I heard that Holloway decided to pull a Dana Carvey and spend more time with his family instead of aggressively pursuing more roles, but I could be mistaken.

Daniel Dae Kim has done pretty well, isn't that Hawaii 5-0 remake doing pretty well on the CSI channel? 

I was expecting Naveen Andrews to do a lot more than he is.

I thought that Dichen Lachman was going to be a huge star.  Fowler tricked me.

I have no clue how she isn't. So so so good on Dollhouse.

ITT dudes blinded by yellow fever ;)

Miracle Laurie totally disappeared after Dollhouse too.

I certainly didn't think she would be a big A lister, but I thought she'd be in things. Guest roles and such.

I thought that Dichen Lachman was going to be a huge star.  Fowler tricked me.

I have no clue how she isn't. So so so good on Dollhouse.

ITT dudes blinded by yellow fever ;)

No.  I thought that Lucy Liu would be a flash in the pan.  I was wrong about that, too.

I thought Empire would do OK. Bear in mind, most Fox dramas this year flopped huge, so there wasn't exactly a high standard. Anything above a 1.2 would have been fine.

Did not predict it would be as massive as it is, though.

Empire was not designed to fail.  It had a huge marketing campaign behind it. 

I knew it would be big with the African American demographic because we will watch nearly anything with Black people in it and we are fiercely loyal to our television shows, but I did not expect Empire to blow up large like that.

It makes me feel bad about Power on Starz! which is similar in tone and almost twice as compelling and yet not nearly as well known despite having huge ratings relative to Starz!'s share of viewership when compared to the total market.

• Like 1

IMO, Hollywood pay lip service to the whole "diversity sells" thing. Sure, they say it, but they don't really believe it.

Except, as Empire and the new Fast and the Furious movie prove, diversity actually does sell.

After Can't Hardly Wait and The Big Kahuna I thought Peter Facinelli was going to have a much better career than he did.  He was like Chris Klein, but with talent.

Speaking of Peter Facinelli, I loved Fastlane and thought it was going to be a huge hit. 

I'm still waiting on that Olivia Thirlby break-out performance...

That happened in Dredd.  People are just idiots and fail to appreciate how awesome that movie is.

• Like 2

Dredd is one the best comic book films ever made.

And, no offense to Affleck, but Karl Urban should have been Batman based solely on THAT speech over the intercom.

The best unofficial Batman audition ever.

• 1 year later...

I have to add "wasn't too keen on Tom Holland as Spiderman or Marvel rebooting the character AGAIN" to this esteemed list.

Jeez, man.That one scene with Tony did more to sell me on the character than 3 or 4 movies did. 

He was the best thing in the whole frigging movie.