DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Spoilers for All (WARNING: THIS HAS SPOILERS) (DO NOT COME IN IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED)

odessasteps

OK, there might be 2 Tower of Joy moments in this fucking trailer!  

The first one could be anything, but there is a bunch of Stark looking dudes pulling swords at the 1:00 mark:

g27Esuc.png

At the 1:16 mark some dude is whooping ass in a Targaryen breast plate!  Is this Arthur Dayne!?!?!?!

2rm9gBu.png

HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!!

OK, there might be 2 Tower of Joy moments in this fucking trailer!  

The first one could be anything, but there is a bunch of Stark looking dudes pulling swords at the 1:00 mark:

g27Esuc.png

At the 1:16 mark some dude is whooping ass in a Targaryen breast plate!  Is this Arthur Dayne!?!?!?!

2rm9gBu.png

HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!!

Shouldn't Ser Arthur Dayne be wearing a white cloak? Maybe it is a different flashback, but the Lord Commander of the King's Guard would be in uniform right?

I don't know if there has ever been a better hook for a trailer than, "I Choose Violence."

I was thinking they might simply be trying to distinguish between the Baratheon Kingsguard and the Targaryen Kingsguard.  Considering how condensed everything is, and how hard it is for the average show watcher to keep up, I would imagine they would simplify a flashback like that as much as possible.

No white cloak, but everything else fits perfectly.

Don't need spoiler tags in this thread, right? Apparently Ian McShane is only in one episode, and he's most likely playing the head priest on the Silent Isle, as a way of bringing Sandor Clegane back. He didn't say that, but he said his character is leader of an order of Monks devoted to peace, an he serves as a way to bring back a much-loved character who everyone though was dead. Which sounds more like the Hound being the Gravedigger on the Silent Isle than anything to do with Jon Snow.

He didn't say who from the cast he was working with. Presumably not Brienne, because she's still got business in the North... unless she's taking Sansa back to the Vale (by land; It would be quicker to sail from White Harbour though) for some reason. The Quiet Isle is on the way to the Gates of the Moon, if you're coming from the Trident.

• 1 month later...

I'm down.  I think I'm going to like the show version of Euron, he seems to be absolutely nuts, while also being 100% committed to his mission.  "I am the Drowned God. From Old Town to Qarth, when men see my sails, they pray."  I've heard varying reports on whether or not Victorian has been cast, but I don't think he is.  I thought I'd miss him, but if Euron continues to be a weirdo, I won't mind him taking over all of his storylines.

• Like 1

I'm going to read the books, because I like the books much more than I like the show.  I like the show plenty, but the books are probably my favorite book series ever.  The show is probably in my top 10 favorites, but not on the level of The Wire or the prime seasons of The Simpsons.  I'm pretty sure the books are going to tell the story in a much more logical and satisfying way, so I'm going to always be more excited for the books than the show.

• Like 3

Well, is it too early to call Tyrion as the 3rd Head?  Since the Dragons didn't eat him and all.  Also since we're not getting Aegon.

I'm going to guess Dorne finished with nothing important.

• Like 1

I think that in the show, they've twisted Dorne up so much to try and get to the coming war between the Martells and the Lannisters that the book has also been building to, only in the book they've done it in a way that makes sense. When Daenerys' conquest happens, either way King's Landing is going to be basically undefended because the might of the King's army will have marched South, and Tyrion won't believe it because all they'd have had to do is copy his plan from when he saved the city from an invasion launched from Dragonstone*. The show writers have asked themselves 'How can we get a war between KL and Dorne without casting loads of new characters?' and then come up with a horribly botched misreading (and arguably miscast, as far as the Sand Snakes go) of everything to do with House Martell.

Good location scouting though.

* I've been of the opinion that Daenerys would take Dragonstone first for years, for both sentimental (she was born there), symbolic (Aegon the Conqueror launched his invasion from there), and practical military reasons (It's an island, only approachable by boat; Boats are made of wood; She has Dragons to defend it).

• Like 1

I was spending some time today reading and watching fan videos and for the first time I felt that maybe I shouldn't watch the rest of the show. 

"And now it begins." "No, now it ends."

If they really show the whole Tower of Joy scene, I'm not sure I want to experience it like this. Jon's resurrection was not really a spoiler in the end, but it felt kinda cheap compared to what I think it will be in the books.

Meh, I don't know. Help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcosLoura said:

I was spending some time today reading and watching fan videos and for the first time I felt that maybe I shouldn't watch the rest of the show. 

"And now it begins." "No, now it ends."

If they really show the whole Tower of Joy scene, I'm not sure I want to experience it like this. Jon's resurrection was not really a spoiler in the end, but it felt kinda cheap compared to what I think it will be in the books.

Meh, I don't know. Help.

I don't know if you've seen the things I've been posting in the Unsullied thread, but I'm not really worried about the show spoiling things.  This show is not anywhere close to the books any more, and they can't possibly spoil a lot of these plots.  I guess they can do things that spoil major plots, such as who is going to finish the series on the Iron Throne, but I get more enjoyment out of the journey than the destination.  The journey is going to be as different as a cross country road trip is to a cross country flight so I'm not really concerned about it.

That article... The bit about how it was "out of character for book Stannis to burn Shireen"

Um, I've been convinced that was going to happen since, like, book two or three. Did that honestly surprise anyone? It was set up constantly in the books, the only question ever being "what is the moment that will push Stannis so far over the edge he kills his daughter?" Not if, what and when.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2016 at 3:26 PM, Brian Fowler said:

That article... The bit about how it was "out of character for book Stannis to burn Shireen"

Um, I've been convinced that was going to happen since, like, book two or three. Did that honestly surprise anyone? It was set up constantly in the books, the only question ever being "what is the moment that will push Stannis so far over the edge he kills his daughter?" Not if, what and when.

Been so long since Renly's death people forget Stannis starts out all but literally making the Faustian Bargain and selling his soul for power.

Also, in the prologue to A Clash Of Kings Stannis cuts his debut promo and it's declaring war on Joffrey.  And Joffrey's such an effective heel coming off the end of A Game Of Thrones that Stannis gets a de facto face rub from targeting him.  And  even after throwing in with Melisandre (who at this early point comes across as full on satanic priestess [albeit this is through Davos' eyes]), and using black magic to assassinate his brother, and using it AGAIN to kill his [bastard] nephew's legal guardian so he can abduct said nephew (and eventually plan to sacrifice him)...

...Stannis is STILL the de facto babyface in the Battle of Blackwater because he's going up against Joffrey. :)

Stannis also bails out Jon/The Night's Watch and then marches on Papi Bolton & Boltoncito to keep that de facto face vibe going.

And Melisandre turns out to not necessarily be quite the Mephisto she initially appears to be.

But yeah, Stannis starts out selling his soul for power/murdering his brother and that's Pure Heel.

• Like 1