DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 15: Machida vs. Rockhold (4/18/2015) - Newark, NJ (Prudential Center)

Elsalvajeloco

machidavsrockhold.jpg

UFC on Fox 15: Machida vs. Rockhold

April 18, 2015

Newark, NJ (Prudential Center)

Lyoto Machida (185) vs. Luke Rockhold (185) - Rockhold, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:31)

Ronaldo Souza (186) vs. Chris Camozzi (185) - Souza, SUB (armbar), R1 (2:33)

Cub Swanson (145) vs. Max Holloway (146) - Holloway, SUB (guillotine choke), R3 (3:58)

Felice Herrig (115) vs. Paige VanZant (115) - VanZant, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Preliminary Card:

Jim Miller (155) vs. Beneil Dariush (155) - Dariush, DEC (unanimous)

Ovince St. Preux (205) vs. Patrick Cummins (205) - St. Preux, KO (punches), R1 (4:54)

Corey Anderson (205) vs. Gian Villante (206)  - Villante, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (4:18)

Takeya Mizugaki (136) vs. Aljamain Sterling (136) - Sterling, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (2:11)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

George Sullivan (171) vs. Tim Means (170) - Means, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (3:41)

Diego Brandão (145) vs. Jimy Hettes (146) - Brandão, TKO (doctor stoppage due to ear Injury), R1 (5:00)

Eddie Gordon (186) vs. Chris Dempsey (186) - Dempsey, DEC (split)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Max Holloway

Performance of the Night: Luke Rockhold

Fight of the Night: Corey Anderson vs. Gian Villante

Attendance: 13,306

Gate: $1.2 million

Rating: 2.745 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

Manny Gamburyan vs. Aljamain Sterling - Injury to Gamburyan

Paul Felder vs. Jim Miller - Injury to Felder (Knee)

Nick Catone vs. Vitor Miranda - Catone Retired From Active Competition; Injury to Miranda

Kenny Robertson vs. George Sullivan - Injury to Robertson

Ronaldo Souza vs. Yoel Romero - Injury to Romero (Torn Meniscus)

• Like 1

There has been some talk about where VanZant goes if she beats Felice. Jeremy Botter has brought up her getting a title shot, but I still think they just throw her on a few big cards and try to gauge her abilities. Curran was a good, tough opponent and a prospect as well, but the top level at 115 is a big jump up. Plus, strawweight being deeper than 135 allows you to bring girls up from Invicta or those from regional orgs. Sean Shelby isn't exactly tied to winner vs. winner because the division is far from being formed. She's only 21. They have time.

I think it's way too soon for Paige to get a title shot.  The problem is that strawweight is kind of wide open right now and the top contenders are falling off or losing.  

Then again, Tecia Torres is ranked No. 5 and she is only 5-0 with five decision wins for her pro MMA career.

Guest Edwin

Then again, Tecia Torres is ranked No. 5 and she is only 5-0 with five decision wins for her pro MMA career.

And soon to be 6-0, but beating Angela Hill shouldn't really move her up the rankings, but it eventually will due to it still being a relatively new division.

I think it's way too soon for Paige to get a title shot.  The problem is that strawweight is kind of wide open right now and the top contenders are falling off or losing.  

It reminds me of WEC in like `07-`08 where you basically have a bunch of young prospects and a bunch of UFC washouts all in one giant group. Some notable and some not-so-notable. You think....well Jamie Varner is a champ so how good are these guys really.  Then, it turns out five or so years later that many of these guys are really fucking good and even Jamie Varner is a good, serviceable gatekeeper.

Hell, Rose may end up being way better than Carla if she can get better on the ground and polish some other things up. You never know. That's why I am not quick to shit on TUF 20 after the fact like many people did. Anytime you put young fighters in there with more established names, you're at the behest of crazy shit happening. You just have to let things shake out as they normally do.

• Like 2

I know they don't count but Tecia Torres did lose twice on TUF 20.

And soon to be 6-0, but beating Angela Hill shouldn't really move her up the rankings, but it eventually will due to it still being a relatively new division.

Angela Hill did pull off the upset I predicted in the TUF 20 Finale undercard and I might pick her again when the Tecia vs. Angela fight happens.

Guest Edwin

Tecia's a much more experienced, better overall fighter than Angela.

Angela's a striker like Tecia and going by their fights, Tecia is a much better striker and despite getting smothered on TUF, she'll probably be able to hold her own and is probably a better grappler than Angela too, so I'm sure she'll be a huge favorite.

.....Okay? Not following but more power to you.

In regards to Paige Van Zant getting the next title shot. I know the division is slim, even if we saw "the best 16 straw weights on the planet", but I think they fast track her.

Ok, gotcha.

I think it all comes down to the UFC's willingness to explore and exercise different options. As much as I despised Bob Arum's (and Top Rank matchmakers) efforts to do this over the last several years, I think it would be smart for the UFC to do this. What I mean is basically to keep two blossoming stars apart from each other until the demand is there to see that particular fight. If we're talking about women's MMA, this happened with Rousey vs. Cyborg but that also had several outside factors that eventually worked in its favor. If the UFC feels obligated to make the biggest fights possible, I won't fault them for trying to go that route even if it risks a few things. However, I would think they have to ask themselves how big a fight can possibly be. You can do Jedrzejczyk-PVZ now and let the hype build it up. The main problem is that there is a big possibility that the hype might subside and then you're only left with fight week to sell it. If you decide to let it play out, then you're allowing other narratives and storylines to come into play and develop. Maybe someone like Moroz comes in and tries to play spoiler, which gives you a new person in the strawweight fold. Another thing is Joanna already has a built in fanbase in Poland, and it can only really grow from there. You can have defend her belt in Warsaw at one point and then maybe defend her belt against PVZ in the NJ/NYC area or Chicago, both with strong Polish-American communities.

As I said though, things are still shaking out. If Joanna goes out and loses to Claudia in a rematch, then you have to plan something based on that. It may not even really be a bad thing because you still have a strong 1-2 punch that you build around. It just comes down to seeing who can challenge them and how to effectively market those matchups. So you basically can see the positives and negatives to the VanZant ascension to stardom alongside her contemporaries and a possible title shot.

• Like 2

For the next title shot you have Van Zant if she beats Felice, the Claudia rematch which might be the best quality fight, Rose if she wins her next fight, Aisling Daly beliefs she is close to a title shot but she also has trouble making weight and several other possibilities including the various Straw weights that a female fighter said would be the next champion after winning their fights. Honestly if Van Zant finishes Felice in exciting fashion then they could have Joanna vs. Van Zant on a FOX TV card for the Belt.

Guest Edwin

No chance Aisling Daly gets a title shot anytime soon unless Conor McGregor is somehow heavily influential in that decision.

Great performance by Paige tonight although I don't know if it was because her ability or that Herrig is extremely over-rated.  I figure she will get the title shot very soon using the Connor method of booking

Conor has been in the UFC for over 2 years. PVZ has only been in the UFC for five months.

Great performance by Paige tonight although I don't know if it was because her ability or that Herrig is extremely over-rated.  I figure she will get the title shot very soon using the Connor method of booking

Conor has been in the UFC for over 2 years. PVZ has only been in the UFC for five months.

Yeah that is true and she still needs lots of work but it wouldn't be the first time Dana has booking based on what is more popular than more qualified.