DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Starts Again On 10/7

Dolfan in NYC

What do you think the reason the Oilers went right to McLellan and skipped out on even trying for Babcock? Maybe Babcock let it be known he actually wasn't interested?

And I like the McLellan hire, he got along well with Eberle and Hall at the Worlds, so that is a good start

Mike Babcock appears to be the choice in Buffalo.

He met again with Detroit after talking to Buffalo. Rumor is that Babcock has lost at least part of the Red Wings locker room.

I think Mike Babcock is a good coach, and a decent hire for the Leafs.  What I do not understand is stuff like what Ken Campbell tweeted "With Babcock, there is no way the Leafs see another high pick next year!"  Whut?!  Mike Babcock has an incredible winning PCT with Detroit (Though technically not as good as Dave Lewis' and he's coaching Belarus right now), but outside of Detroit?  His .521 Points PCT in two years in Anaheim is actually lower than Randy Carlyle's after he took over for Babcock in Anaheim (.588) but also Carlyle's Points PCT in Toronto! (.535).  Also, he's won and been in just as many Cup finals as also-UFA Dan Bylsma.  I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but $8M a year's a lot of money for a guy who's never proven he can win outside of Detroit in the NHL.

• Like 1

So to catch everyone up (This is based on Twitter hearsay and the like), Buffalo is supposedly pissed right off, were under the impression that Babcock had agreed to the coach their team. Then, either Toronto came calling, or Babcock took his offer to Toronto, and Toronto matched it, and now the Leafs have themselves a coach and Buffalo is mad.  Also Toronto flew Guy Boucher in for an interview, fairly certain they were going to hire him as their next head coach, then Babcock changed his mind, so Boucher was out.  So Toronto offered Boucher a chance to be Babcock's assistant, if Babcock approves, and Boucher approves.  Detroit previously offered Boucher an assistant job last year, which he turned down, because he wants to be a head coach.  Boucher is unlikely to accept the Toronto job, and is rumored to be interviewing with New Jersey for their head coaching position.

Meanwhile, San Jose interviewed Randy Carlyle this week, and Adam Oates.

Also, word is Todd McLellan's deal with Edmonton is 5 years, $15 million.  I bet someone wishes he'd waited until after the Babcock deal to sign his contract...

Blues sign Hitchcock to a one year contract. I'm.... fucking pissed man. 

As a fellow Blues fan I'm not excited about the move but at least they didn't pull a San Jose and hire Peter DeBoer.

• 2 weeks later...