DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Starts Again On 10/7

Dolfan in NYC

I was thinking about that. There's Jumbo Flames Fan and a few posters who don't post much in the forum. lol, our teams are the shits.

Well the most common fanbases around here are Leafs, Blues, and Canucks (Shared co-holders of the "We haven't won a stanley cup in almost half a century" trophy), with the Oilers and Hurricanes.... so yeah.

How are the Blues losing money? Shouldn't they have a strongish TV deal? They seem to do well with attendance (96% capacity). Tickets aren't cheap either.

It just sunk in that I'm going to be watching Connor fucking McDavid dummy Luca Sbisa, Derek Dorsett, and Ryan Miller for the next two years. Fuck, it's going to be a rough 3-5 years before we get a really standout pick too because of the Sedins being too good.

This just happened.

https://twitter.com/DirtbagDonny/status/592471973227266049

• Like 1

I was thinking about that. There's Jumbo Flames Fan and a few posters who don't post much in the forum. lol, our teams are the shits.

Well the most common fanbases around here are Leafs, Blues, and Canucks (Shared co-holders of the "We haven't won a stanley cup in almost half a century" trophy), with the Oilers and Hurricanes.... so yeah.

There was a team that came Into the league with the Canucks that hasn't won a cup either but I don't recall their name ;-)

How are the Blues losing money? Shouldn't they have a strongish TV deal? They seem to do well with attendance (96% capacity). Tickets aren't cheap either.

It just sunk in that I'm going to be watching Connor fucking McDavid dummy Luca Sbisa, Derek Dorsett, and Ryan Miller for the next two years. Fuck, it's going to be a rough 3-5 years before we get a really standout pick too because of the Sedins being too good.

This just happened.

https://twitter.com/DirtbagDonny/status/592471973227266049

Cocksucker~! I saw that and just changed the jerseys in my head. Most of the top picks of the past ten years have had either that awesome speed (MacKinnon) or the skills (Tavares) but McDavid has both as those SportsNet goofs just mentioned. :(

Two things. No.1: The TV deal isn't that great. Smallish market, and while Blues fans love there team more then most people seem to realize (Your 10 times more likely to see Blues clothing then Rams clothing. None close to Cards around here though), there ratings aren't amazing. Playoff games get moved over to secondary channels due to Cards games. Baseball in St. Louis. No.2: The Blues make no money on concessions. The last owner sold that for a stupid amount of time to give him more money to keep running the team. It's a large part of the reason I wouldn't even think about buying food at a Blues game.

Basically, the Blues have been losing money consistently the last few seasons, with the idea being "deep playoff run will give us enough money to go into the green". Our team has promptly been eliminated in the first round each of the last 3 seasons. There are starting to be Blues fans pointing out that if Stillman pulls money back this off-season, he'd be in the right, because he has given this team plenty of chances to win, and they've squandered it. 

So outside of the odd Ranger fans, how many NHL forum posters are still, you know, actually in the playoffs?

For now, Wings fans.

Plus, at least one of the teams Mike has season tickets for. :)

FYP

Benning was the one who really pushed hard for the Seguin trade. :) Yeah, Chiarelli had to make the final call and decide on the return but that youtube video sure doesn't paint ol' Jim Benning in a positive light. Though, I'm not really a Seguin fan.

Chiarelli is a huge step in the right direction for you lot, though. MacT is probably better off in a higher up position.

I still wonder if the guys who dealt him won't eventually be vindicated.  He just doesn't seem like the brightest guy: with the Bruins having to post a guard outside his hotel room to keep him from going out during the playoffs, throwing a massive drunken party and posting photos on Twitter after being traded for too much partying, and being late to Dallas' last practice of the season.

Is it any worse than whatever the hell the Spengler Cup is being on TV?

It's a thing. It fills time. All good.

The tournament has very little value but I will try and catch the medal games at the very least.

The biggest thing, often, to take away from the WHCs is seeing a handful of Euro free agents who NHL teams snap up right after the tournament.

Goddamit Blues, $1200! Do you know how much that would have meant to me? It would have meant Twelve Hundred Dollars.

Only the Spengler Cup music can soothe me.

So......is that it for Hitchcock? And does Brian Elliott burn the whole mother down?

Hitchcock should be gone, as should Oshie. Backes has a solid shot of being out too. Really, the last 2 years the Blues fandom was mostly upset. Now, from what I see, they are pissed. They want changes. And I imagine Stillman is gonna give us some.

Also, I feel worse for our owner then anyone. Were running at a loss because he has got us to being a Cap team. He put all that in knowing he needed long playoff runs to make money. And he's a local who really wants this team to win a Cup. And the team just won't give a quarter of a damn for him.

David Backes is pretty much exactly what the Oilers need, in all honesty.  A big, tough guy who seems to care and can play in the Top 6

• Like 1

Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense. I wonder who would go the other way. Draisaitl seems to be the odd man out in terms of centremen but St. Louis would probably have to add a decent piece to Backes.

Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense. I wonder who would go the other way. Draisaitl seems to be the odd man out in terms of centremen but St. Louis would probably have to add a decent piece to Backes.

I agree that this proposed deal would make a lot of sense, though if I had to call it, I'd say the deal ends up being really big. Backes and Bouwmeester for Draisaitl with another plus from the Oilers. They want a solid minutes eating defensemen, and I think the Blues would be happier to have that cap space and run with everything else they have on D right now.

I'm a Sens fan but other than the miracle run this year, they don't really do anything so I don't post about them. Of course I rarely post anyways.

DFA is sadly right. Their run to get to the playoffs was the best I've ever seen and by the time next season comes around, no one will talk about it again except for me years from now when I'm shitting my pants in a nursing home and people assume any mention of this past season is just the dementia talking.

• Like 1

A big issue with Jets Version 1 was that the team got a miniscule amount of the concessions money. Columbus reportedly loses a bunch of extra money every season because they aren't getting a fair cut of the concessions.

We need moar golez. Have the owners/GMs seriously discussed making the nets bigger?

That notion gets laughed at and shot down immediately. That's too bad - I really, truly believe it needs to happen.

Anything so people can keep pretending there was all this holding in the old days, right?

That's actually why I fear they might do it someday. The NHL has bent over backwards for eternity to justify cowardly refereeing that simply pretending it was ever so, making the net bigger, and flooding the league with 500 extra shitty pinball goals on point shots is probably easier than addressing any of the actual problems the NHL has.

And really, that's 90% of what making the nets bigger will do if you don't address any of the real issues. More shitty pinball goals. I have no idea why that interests anyone.

• Like 1