DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Starts Again On 10/7

Dolfan in NYC

I'm OK with McDavid going to Edmonton, if I had to choose a team other than us to get him they would be it. Small market Canadian city where they live and breathe hockey, those fans deserve something that not even the incompetents running that team can fuck up.

• Like 1

Yeah, they deserved three consecutive first overall picks. Because they're horrible. This is a different matter altogether. And don't dare them to fuck up McDavid because they just may.

If we're playing the name game I don't feel like Mads Eller gets enough love for being the best name in junior hockey and he also has relative Lars in the NHL. I don't know if he's draft eligible this year or next year though.

Basically I just want to see people make more "U Mads Bro" jokes because I am a simple man of simple pleasures.

• Like 2

So, we've had 24 hours to calm down now.

Which group embarrassed themselves more? I'll make it multiple choice.

1) The people that claim they've always hated the lottery system they just never felt any need to express it until McDavid went to a team they've decided is unworthy?

2) People that are annoyed that bad teams can get better through drafting, again, never expressed before yesterday, but are now furious that the system in place since 1963 exists?

3) People that think the Oilers won the draft lottery in 2011 but expect their opinions about the lottery process to be taken seriously?

4) People that understand so little about the Lindros situation financially in comparison to the modern NHL (and that's assuming you don't believe any of the political reasons for not going to Quebec in the 1990's) they actually made a comparison and expected people to think they were clever?

5) People that legitimately tried to argue the Oilers have a higher chance of fucking up a #1 draft pick than the Toronto Maple Leafs, great bastion of player development through the ages, thus expressing a total misunderstanding of virtually every issue the Oilers (and Leafs) have faced in the last decade?

Discuss amongst yourselves, it's the least I am owed for further entertainment at this point.

• Like 1

heat.gif

How is it far fetched to think that Edmonton will ruin a 4th #1 pick in the past 6 years? When was the last great Maple Leaf high draft pick? Nylander played in Sweden and then came over to the AHL rather than wasting in the cesspool that is the TML. He put up great numbers in the AHL, rather than play on a struggling team mired in on and off ice drama. Hmmm, somebody could learn something from that!

• Like 1

If we're playing the name game I don't feel like Mads Eller gets enough love for being the best name in junior hockey and he also has relative Lars in the NHL. I don't know if he's draft eligible this year or next year though.

Basically I just want to see people make more "U Mads Bro" jokes because I am a simple man of simple pleasures.

Mads was draft eligible last year.  I really thought he'd get taken late, or get a training camp invite/contract but he did not.  Didn't have a great year this year, tbh, but he can skate, has those bloodlines, and hit like a truck.  He's also basically unbreakable.  He basically almost crushed his neck on an open bench door, then played the next night.

Personally, my favourite name is Zak Zborosky.  Also, how is there a Zborosky and a Zborovskiy in the WHL, both eligible for the 2015 draft and one from Canada and the other Russia?!  How does that happen?!

As far as the lottery goes....HAHAHAHAHAHA.  The Craig MacTavish interview on HNIC last night was great where he was talking about watching it on his iPad over in Switzerland.  Then he was asked if he would announce who he was taking and he said "No...but mainly because I want to speak to him and his family first" which is great for the fact that not only did Edmonton not speak to McDavid all year, but also the fact that they were so convinced he was going to Buffalo or Arizona, they didn't even bother to talk to him.  Then when they asked if he would trade the pick, he said there was a "less than zero percent chance" of that (Crushing the hopes of many 'Dion Phaneuf, Jake Gardiner and the Leafs 2016 1st' HF proposals). And then the Taylor Hall tweet.

I'm also baffled by the "Great another pick for Edmonton to ruin" lines.  Like, I get that it's extraordinary lucky that they got McDavid but exactly which top prospect has Edmonton ruined?!  Taylor Hall was turning into a perennial top 10 scorer in the league until this past year's injuries.  Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was a Top 30 scoring center in the league this past season who has turned into a legimitately great 2-way player.  Nail Yakupov hasn't blossomed the way he was expected to, but how much of that is Edmonton ruining a player and how much of it is a likely overrated player in a mediocre draft struggling to find his way (I mean, looking at that 1st round, I'd put Yakupov/Galchenyuk about the same just behind Filip Forsberg as far as forwards go).  Darnell Nurse was developed properly, going back to the OHL the extra year when the easy call was to keep him.  Leon Draisaitl should have spent the whole year in the WHL, but it's not like those 37 games killed him as a prospect, take a look at him in the WHL right now and he's just dominating.  

I mean, yeah, I get that the team sucks, there's no way to argue that.  But the "Oilers are going to ruin another prospect" line is one that mystifies me.  I mean, if the argument is "The Oilers are going to ruin them by them developing into really good players on a poor team so I can't see them come playoff time", I guess I get it, but it's hardly unique to the Oilers.  But as for ruining players, none of their high picks are ruined by any margin.  They're on a bad team but that's about it.

• Like 1

Mads was draft eligible last year.  I really thought he'd get taken late, or get a training camp invite/contract but he did not.  Didn't have a great year this year, tbh, but he can skate, has those bloodlines, and hit like a truck.  He's also basically unbreakable.  He basically almost crushed his neck on an open bench door, then played the next night.

Personally, my favourite name is Zak Zborosky.  Also, how is there a Zborosky and a Zborovskiy in the WHL, both eligible for the 2015 draft and one from Canada and the other Russia?!  How does that happen?!

As far as the lottery goes....HAHAHAHAHAHA.  The Craig MacTavish interview on HNIC last night was great where he was talking about watching it on his iPad over in Switzerland.  Then he was asked if he would announce who he was taking and he said "No...but mainly because I want to speak to him and his family first" which is great for the fact that not only did Edmonton not speak to McDavid all year, but also the fact that they were so convinced he was going to Buffalo or Arizona, they didn't even bother to talk to him.  Then when they asked if he would trade the pick, he said there was a "less than zero percent chance" of that (Crushing the hopes of many 'Dion Phaneuf, Jake Gardiner and the Leafs 2016 1st' HF proposals). And then the Taylor Hall tweet.

I'm also baffled by the "Great another pick for Edmonton to ruin" lines.  Like, I get that it's extraordinary lucky that they got McDavid but exactly which top prospect has Edmonton ruined?!  Taylor Hall was turning into a perennial top 10 scorer in the league until this past year's injuries.  Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was a Top 30 scoring center in the league this past season who has turned into a legimitately great 2-way player.  Nail Yakupov hasn't blossomed the way he was expected to, but how much of that is Edmonton ruining a player and how much of it is a likely overrated player in a mediocre draft struggling to find his way (I mean, looking at that 1st round, I'd put Yakupov/Galchenyuk about the same just behind Filip Forsberg as far as forwards go).  Darnell Nurse was developed properly, going back to the OHL the extra year when the easy call was to keep him.  Leon Draisaitl should have spent the whole year in the WHL, but it's not like those 37 games killed him as a prospect, take a look at him in the WHL right now and he's just dominating.  

I mean, yeah, I get that the team sucks, there's no way to argue that.  But the "Oilers are going to ruin another prospect" line is one that mystifies me.  I mean, if the argument is "The Oilers are going to ruin them by them developing into really good players on a poor team so I can't see them come playoff time", I guess I get it, but it's hardly unique to the Oilers.  But as for ruining players, none of their high picks are ruined by any margin.  They're on a bad team but that's about it.

BTW, in a more long-winded, but more analytical way, Ryan Lambert talked about this today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/what-we-learned--reconsidering-the-edmonton-oilers--failures-131926423.html