DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

-Kicking and Screaming: The Will Ferrell family soccer comedy one.  It's funny.  Mike Ditka steals the show every time he's on.

I really enjoy this movie. It also helped introduce my Kate Walsh crush

Oh and the Stevie Wonder version of "We Can Work It Out"

Watched BATMAN RETURNS for the first time since I was, I dunno, 12 I think.

It's just awful.

I've tried re-watching some Tim Burton stuff recently and yeah, it's all pretty much terrible, except Edward Scissorhands (edited to add Beetlejuice, duh) and maybe Big Fish. Then again, the last movie of his I saw and really liked was Big Fish, so...

I remember being majorly impressed with Burton's Gotham.

Then I saw Dark City and was, like, oh, yeah. THAT's how Gotham should have looked. And the Batman films seemed way less impressive.

Proyas out-Burton'd Burton.

I re-watched all of the following this week

Shouldn't you be, like, tabulating results or something? :)

Battling a possible toothache.  I'll work on them after I either go to the dentist or power through it.  Math and pain are not good partners.

A rewatch. Will I still like it? Am I moron for watching it a second time? Let's find out...

Unbreakable - Bruce Willis is David Dunn, a security guard. Samuel L Jackson is Elijah Price, the owner of an art gallery that exclusively sells comic book art. They meet and become friends when Willis is involved in a train derailment that kills every passenger onboard - except him. And he walks away completely uninjured. Price hears about him and contacts Dunn, letting him know that he thinks Dunn is some kind of comic book hero brought to life. Slowly, this idea takes hold in Dunn as well and we see him destroying his bench press personal best, learning of his powers of detection and so on. This is an M. Night Shamalamadingdong movie from back when M. Night was still making good stuff. This isn't on the level of The Sixth Sense but is still very good. Of course there's a twist, as well. And, yeah, there's some ridiculous moments, in particular a scene with Dunn's kid, but this is generally really good. And, hey, it's got Robin Wright, too. 7/10.

• Like 1

I was good with Unbreakable until they got to the Kryptonite part. 

His weakness is water?  Really?   71% of the world's surface and 66% of his body mass is composed of the stuff. He loses his powers if he gets wet but he's fine if he's thirsty and grabs a Dasani out of the fridge?

What kind of bullshit is this?

I think the most ridiculous scene in Unbreakable is, when Willis' calls his employer to ask how many sick days he's had and finds out he's never been sick.

I think you would know, if you had never been sick once in your entire life.

His weakness is water?  Really?   71% of the world's surface and 66% of his body mass is composed of the stuff. He loses his powers if he gets wet but he's fine if he's thirsty and grabs a Dasani out of the fridge?

Did he lose his powers or was it just that he had a phobia of it b/c

he nearly drowned as a kid

Been a while since I've seen the movie so don't know if they made that distinction.

His weakness is water? Really? 71% of the world's surface and 66% of his body mass is composed of the stuff. He loses his powers if he gets wet but he's fine if he's thirsty and grabs a Dasani out of the fridge?

His weakness was getting water in his lungs, not water itself. Hence drowning being a big problem or the facedown in the rain puddle thing.

Did he lose his powers or was it just that he had a phobia of it b/c

he nearly drowned as a kid

Been a while since I've seen the movie so don't know if they made that distinction.

It wasn't that water shut off his powers,

Its that drowning in water is the only thing that can kill him.

EDIT: We're putting one of the twists in a 15 year old movie in spoiler tags?

• Like 1

Shyamalan so loved that twist from Unbreakable

that he made the Aliens in Signs weakness be water too. And it made even less sense then!

If I called my boss and asked him how many sick days I've taken, he'd say none. So would my previous boss. I think the last sick day I took was in, like 2006? The one before that was in 2000. I think I only had two in the 90s as well.

I think the most ridiculous scene in Unbreakable is, when Willis' calls his employer to ask how many sick days he's had and finds out he's never been sick.

I think you would know, if you had never been sick once in your entire life.

I don't think so. I think he was a guy who had just never really thought about it.

Shyamalan so loved that twist from Unbreakable

that he made the Aliens in Signs weakness be water too. And it made even less sense then!

If I called my boss and asked him how many sick days I've taken, he'd say none. So would my previous boss. I think the last sick day I took was in, like 2006? The one before that was in 2000. I think I only had two in the 90s as well.

Oh shit ...

YOU'RE BRUCE WILLIS IN UNBREAKABLE!

• Like 1

I love that we will still use the tags on Unbreakable but like Walking Dead will be spoiled within 5 seconds of airing

I didn't want to take if for granted that everyone has seen Unbreakable.  There is always some asshole that will post USE SPOILER TAGZ~! even if they have no intention of watching the movie.

BRUCE WILLIS WAS REALLY A GHOST THE WHOLE TIME!

Since we're using spoiler tags on movies that have been out for 15 years

What? He was a ghost in Unbreakable?????

• Like 1

I saw Unbreakable twice, while riding the first class bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca City. It was subbed in Spanish, so I got many a giggle at "Senor Vidrio". I remember thinking it was alright, probably Shillelagh-man's best.

I would say that 90% of my "sick" days are "hungover" days, "out too late at a show and tired" days, and "can't bring myself to GAF" days (aka mental health days).

• Like 1

BRUCE WILLIS WAS REALLY A GHOST THE WHOLE TIME!

Since we're using spoiler tags on movies that have been out for 15 years

What? He was a ghost in Unbreakable?????

He's ALWAYS a ghost