DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Late period Cruise is awesome. You can tell he's just desperate to entertain people. The movies aren't always good, but he's clearly not just going through the motions to collect big checks or service his own ego.

• Like 1

Does no-one think Farley could've pulled a Jonah Hill and lost the weight?

I dunno.  Was reading some of the quotes on his IMDB page and he talks about going into a rehab facility to lose weight and quitting after a couple days and calling up Tom Arnold who picked him up to go get dessert.  His family were all really big, too.  I remember a story about how his dad didn't like to go out in public because people would stare.

Also - are there people who are still all "I won't see a Tom Cruise movie because he is bat shit insane"?

There sure are!  I posted the new Mission Impossible trailer on my Facebook and had an ongoing argument with a friend about whether or not Cruise is awesome.  And when I listed off all the good to great films he's been in the last 15 years, she said "I would have liked all of them better if he wasn't in them" which is insanity to me.

With respect, I think It was the drugs more than the weight. Sure weight is important, but if your role model is John Belushi and you coke up more than Hogan in the 80's, its what did him in. . .

Late period Cruise is awesome. You can tell he's just desperate to entertain people. The movies aren't always good, but he's clearly not just going through the motions to collect big checks or service his own ego.

Hollywood needs people who are crazy as all get-out.

I watched Going Clear and honestly felt more sympathetic for Travolta. He just seemed seriously misguided, and they caught him before he became this huge star. On the other hand, I think that just seems like something Tom Cruise would do. He found people who are on his level of insanity, and they gel perfectly. I am happy for him.

Obviously an actor can believe whatever the hell they want.

But it's not really like Gwyneth Paltrow being a health nut and claiming water has feelings or Paz de la Huerta being sincerely convinced she was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life This isn't a victimless crime. Cruise has been strongly linked with the unpaid labor and human rights abuses that goes on in Scientology. It's a bit more complex than "Well, as long as he's happy."

Travolta does seem like much more of a victim though. I agree there.

• Like 2

But it's not really like Gwyneth Paltrow being a health nut and claiming water has feelings or Paz de la Huerta being sincerely convinced she was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life This isn't a victimless crime. Cruise has been strongly linked with the unpaid labor and human rights abuses that goes on in Scientology.

Good for him.

I think Cruise's incredible sense of intensity is inextricably linked to his mastery of the fine, non-cult religion of Scientology. Without one, you don't have the other.

In more seriousness, if you sign up for Scientology, you signed up for Scientology. It isn't an unknown quantity. There is credible literature.

Watched Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat (which I really really enjoyed)

I don't know which I am more frustrated by

People saying it wasn't a success because it "only" made $100 million domestically (it made $269 worldwide) or the fucking name change for the DVD release because people are stupid or something.

Also - are there people who are still all "I won't see a Tom Cruise movie because he is bat shit insane"?

My daughter loves this movie and I also think it is pretty great.  Have no idea why they did not keep All You Need Is Kill as the title.  Americans are dumb.

Because "All You Need is Kill" is just senseless Engrish word salad and the only people who like it are Japanophiles who think anything Japanese is automatically cool.

• Like 1

They Came Together is like an 80 minute Funny or Die sketch. I like parodies and I'm a sucker for stunt cameos, so I stuck with it, but it's not good. It reminded me more of the straight-to-video Dom Deluise parody movies from the 90s than the Zuckers' best stuff. It's not as lazy as a Date/Epic movie, but it's lowered my expectations for the Wet Hot American Summer Netflix series.

My daughter loves this movie and I also think it is pretty great.  Have no idea why they did not keep All You Need Is Kill as the title.  Americans are dumb.

Because "All You Need is Kill" is just senseless Engrish word salad and the only people who like it are Japanophiles who think anything Japanese is automatically cool.

Yeah, "All You Need is Kill" really is a nonsensical title for a movie so I totally understand why they changed it. Unfortunately, "Edge of Tomorrow" goes the other extreme and is so Corporate Tested and generic that they might as well just titled it "Tom Cruise Sci-Fi Movie #12."

Live. Die. Repeat. was the money title. I'm not going to get into the box office thing but I'm totally convinced that title alone would've added $50-75 million to the domestic gross.

I'm going to see fucking Ant-Man.

1) It ties in with the other Marvel Studios movies.

2) Edgar Wright (even if bullshit happened)

3) Paul Rudd

4) I actually don't think that Ant-Man is that dumb.

(5. Written by Adam McKay. Ticket sold.

But it's not really like Gwyneth Paltrow being a health nut and claiming water has feelings or Paz de la Huerta being sincerely convinced she was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life This isn't a victimless crime. Cruise has been strongly linked with the unpaid labor and human rights abuses that goes on in Scientology. It's a bit more complex than "Well, as long as he's happy."

Couldn't you also use that same logic to avoid any films made by/starring Catholics because of the long history of sexual abuse in the Catholic church? Or shoe-horn a misguided belief that suicide bombers influenced by/misunderstanding the Qu'ran into avoiding movies starring/made by Muslims?  

Avoiding an actor because of his ties to a particular religion is pretty shitty, in my opinion.  Especially when said actor has never been really investigated/charged/arrested for any of these human rights violations.

There's a big difference between "I love Tom Cruise movies!" and "By going to Tom Cruise movies I endorse his religion and beliefs".  I mean, I've seen Roman Polanski and Woody Allen films and enjoyed some, it doesn't mean I love pedophilia.

People saying it wasn't a success because it "only" made $100 million domestically (it made $269 worldwide) or the fucking name change for the DVD release because people are stupid or something.

I think 'All You Need Is Kill' is a great title, not because of any sort of Japanophile deal but because I think it's a catchy title that's both bad-ass and silly at the same time.  I mean, if you know nothing about the film and see a poster with 'All You Need Is Kill' you're either going to say "That sounds kind of awesome" or "That sounds kind of stupid" but you're probably going to find out more about it, one way or the other.  If you see a poster with 'Edge of Tomorrow' it sounds like a dozen other movies and makes no impact whatsoever.

Couldn't you also use that same logic to avoid any films made by/starring Catholics because of the long history of sexual abuse in the Catholic church? Or shoe-horn a misguided belief that suicide bombers influenced by/misunderstanding the Qu'ran into avoiding movies starring/made by Muslims?  

Avoiding an actor because of his ties to a particular religion is pretty shitty, in my opinion.  Especially when said actor has never been really investigated/charged/arrested for any of these human rights violations.

There's a big difference between "I love Tom Cruise movies!" and "By going to Tom Cruise movies I endorse his religion and beliefs".  I mean, I've seen Roman Polanski and Woody Allen films and enjoyed some, it doesn't mean I love pedophilia.

Honestly I can't think any religious Hollywood actor who is literally the No.2  most powerful man in Islam and/or Catholicism, like Cruise is with Scientology. 

It's not like The Pope is going to call up Jim Caviezel and be, like, "Hey, this week's Person of Interest was great. Now what to I do about this latest child abuse scandal?" Or the Dalai Lama tells his followers to do whatever Steven Seagal tells them. 

And that's assuming you even should call Scientology a religion. I think it's very apparent by now it's a cult.

Hell, I'll go see a Tom Cruise movie BECAUSE he's batshit insane.

The same studio that is probably concerned about having "Kill" or "Die" in the title of a PG-13 movie is releasing a tentpole movie with "Suicide" in the title next year. I am not going to try make sense of this.

I thought "All You Need is Kill" was a play on how sci-fi weapons have traditionally had settings for "Stun" and "Kill."

The threat from these aliens is so serious, when time comes to engage, all you need ... well ...

The same studio that is probably concerned about having "Kill" or "Die" in the title of a PG-13 movie is releasing a tentpole movie with "Suicide" in the title next year. I am not going to try make sense of this.

Kind of reminds of how Hollywood absolutely couldn't ever remake Battle Royale because, you know, dystopian teenagers killing each other was a bit controversial after all the school shootings.

Cut to a few years later and the biggest new film trend is....eh, dystopian teenagers killing each other.

• Like 1