DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Did we ever have a thread about HBO Now? Just wondering if anyone went ahead and signed up since its active on apple products

I did. The stream was a little glitchy last night.

Is there a good amount of content for the price?

To be honest, I haven't gotten around to exploring it.

Anyway, The episode of Last Man On Earth where Phil is awkwardly pretending Shawshank is his favorite movie abut he actually never saw it, was hilariously cringey.

I doubt Lynch is blameless, but from what people say it seems to be generally accepted in the industry that Showtime executives are not the easiest people to deal with. Even by "annoying TV executive" standards.

I've been watching some later seasons of American Dad.

It's been said before, but this show is amazing. Hell, the Francine/Stan relationship has more to say about the modern state of marriage than most of these live action dramas do.

So, does iZombie go in this thread or the Movie/TV Comics subfolder? Because I really like that show. Sure, it's basically Veronica Mars except she's a zombie with a twist, but who didn't want more Veronica Mars?

I just learned today that Josh Gad and Billy Crystal star in a TV show together. Boy do I really dislike both guys a ton. To me, this is about the worst pairing ever.

• Like 1

We watched the first episode and gave up as well. Same with bloodline.

We are 11 episodes through 12 Monkeys though and episode 11 was everything I could've wanted it to be. My only problem was that they should've built some of this up a little better through the season. They hinted that everything could be a snake eating its own tail but there wasn't enough in the way of clues for who the witness was.

I just watched the first episode of Bloodline and, yeah, the last 2 minutes hooked me. I wanna watch the rest but between Daredevil dropping today, GoT back on Sunday and Gotham, Flash, Arrow, and Shield all in their final sweeps runs I have way too many things to watch as it is. It'll have to wait for summer.

Anyway Bloodline seems like a pretty interesting show although I fully admit I might be biased by Coach Taylor especially since he's back using the Coach Taylor accent. I'm 99.999% sure one of the writer dudes threw the "You tryin' to steal my players?" line in the pilot after he was cast because they're FNL geeks like me.

Dear God, there is no more wonderfully bleak of a television show on right now than American Crime.

watched the first 3 episodes and am just struggling to get into it. Have 2 or 3 episodes on DVR right now and my girlfriend and I haven't quite decided whether to watch or delete them. I dunno, show feels like it's trying too hard and full of cliches to me.

I just learned today that Josh Gad and Billy Crystal star in a TV show together. Boy do I really dislike both guys a ton. To me, this is about the worst pairing ever.

Even if I liked them before, their ads would be enough to change that. Good grief.
  • Like 1

So I watched the season finale of Helix this morning.  Ugh.  Such a mess.  I really hope it doesn't get renewed, though they seemed to be planting the seeds for a future season at the end,  Unsurprisingly, they went all gothic and Grand Guignol for the wrap-up.  Lots of crazy people overacting as they try to do bad things, lots of lingering shots of things burning down and people shrieking while melodramatic music plays. Just a complete mess,

The epilogue was even worse.  I didn't even follow some of it (was the last scene set at a fertility clinic or a sterilization chamber?  I wasn't sure).

One character seemed to get arrested on evidence that would implicate another character, there was a doublecross out of the Vince Russo playbook of "swerves that really aren't swerves because you really kinda expect that from him".  And they repeated the cliffhanger from last year where a character seems to go heel, but the moment lacks any real impact. 

Just a mess all around, imo.  This season kinda entertained me but it was never really "good".  The big problem with the show is that the foundation just isn't there.  The producers consistently go for shock tactics and plot twists instead of establishing the characters and making the plotting logical.  The corporation of evil immortals has barely been established and really hasn't been that interesting.  They're a faceless group with ill-defined goals, so there's really nothing to root against.  The main characters aren't overly interesting aside from the Faraday brothers, so seeing them turn heel really lacks the impact the producers want.  And both seasons have had the problem of raising interesting ideas, then turning the show in a less interesting direction, thereby never answering the questions raised early on.  I think I have even more questions about plot points this time around than I did after last season.

Anyone watch 12 Monkeys?  Is that worth the time?  I've only watched the first episode so far.

Less shitty bringing back a 90s show news!

http://deadline.com/2015/04/bob-odenkirk-david-cross-sketch-comedy-series-netflix-1201403256/

EXCLUSIVE: They’re back! Frequent collaborators and longtime friends Bob Odenkirk and David Cross have teamed for a new sketch comedy series, With Bob and David, which has been picked up by Netflix. The streaming service has ordered four half-hour episodes and one hourlong “making-of” special from the project, which has just started production.

Here is how Odenkirk and Cross describe With Bob and David: After being dishonorably discharged from the Navy SEAL, Bob and David are back serving our country the way they do best: making sketch comedy. Four half-hours of brand-new comedy featuring all new characters, all new scenes and, most importantly, all new wigs.

Caught a performance last night where they did a run-through of some sketches before they tape these next couple of weeks. Dudes haven't missed a beat and looking forward to the new show!

• Like 1

Watched the first new episode of Game of Thrones... and have the other three downloaded as well. You'd think that for this particular series, security would be extra high and leaks impossible, but there you have it.

Watched the first new episode of Game of Thrones... and have the other three downloaded as well. You'd think that for this particular series, security would be extra high and leaks impossible, but there you have it.

It was already the most downloaded/torrented show every year, so not a surprise. Although, i presume in 2015, all screener copies can be tracked.