DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I spent a portion of Saturday binging on Other Space on Yahoo!Screen. It's a fun show with a good cast (Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu reunited! Milana Vayntrub being wicked and adorable!) , and I'd like to see more of it.  

Jesus Christ this season of Mad Men is so ponderous.  Ham fisted, clumsy symbolism not seen since I was in high school in my first creative writing class,

Don's apartment is lonely and empty...JUST LIKE HIS LIFE, GET IT???

Don is trying to figure out the future of the firm...AND HIS LIFE, GET IT???

Glen is going off to war so Betty takes away her kid's toy machine gun and throws it in the trash...BECAUSE SHE'S AGAINST THE WAR NOW, GET IT???

I'm so glad there are only a few episodes left at this point.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Betty is against the war now. She's against somebody that she cares about being killed. War is serious (and now personal for her) and this isn't the right time to be making a game of it. I don't think that suggests that her conservative-leaning politics have changed yet.

CSI Cyber had a plot about Nanny cams being hijacked by nefarious child traffickers so they could kidnap the kids then sell them in a international baby-auctioning ring.

As we speak, Patricia Arquette is looking at her Oscar and lamenting that she's way too good for this shit.

• Like 1

CSI Cyber had a plot about Nanny cams being hijacked by nefarious child traffickers so they could kidnap the kids then sell them in a international baby-auctioning ring.

The kidnapping part is a tad far fetched but you can totally remote hack a nanny cam and spy on a family.

I and the rest of the Tiger Team here at the NSC watch this show and laugh..  Sometimes the laughter is the hysterical kind and sometimes it is that uneasy "yeah that could really happen" kind.

I love roller coasters, so the episode with the psycho extorting money from companies by threatening to remotely disengaging safety features on amusement park rides really left me on edge. 

If you can brown box the computers on a car to access the door locks and ignition, you could certainly do it to the housekeeping systems of just about any vehicle or appliance.

Daredevil threw us for a loop. "Binging" a 13 episode TV-MA show when you have a 2.5 year old and a 13 year old, takes about 3 weeks. 

we've caught up on the last two episodes of 12 Monkeys that had to see, and are caught up on Flash, Shield, and Once (all of which we can watch with the 13 year old), but we missed the starts of Orphan Black and GOT and are likely behind on Blacklist and god knows what else. 

Obviously they need to be considerate to us and just release one episode a week of things.

CSI Cyber - gritty realism. 

It still has enough of the traditional CSI computers = magic stuff in it to help you engage your dismissive side.

The episodes are hit or miss.   The cyberbully episode was pretty dumb.  The episode with the serial killer that stalked dating sites was very interesting.

I like how most critics are all, "There can't be that many hackers in the world, can there?"  Of course there are, dumbass. 

I think the CSI franchise is better when it embraces its campyness, a la Caruso. Arquette is great actress, but she's taking it too seriously.

I actually find most of CBS's procedural shows quite watchable, but this one...not so much.

I actually find most of CBS's procedural shows quite watchable, but this one...not so much.

They did not learn the lesson of the movie, Hackers.  

I deal with infosec every fucking day.

The act of breaking into computers is not sexy.  You need a phat soundtrack, lots of dreamlike cyberspace interludes, and a character that looks like Angelina Jolie's character, Acid Burn.

They figured out the last one by bringing in Haley Kiyoko to be Raven Ramirez.

large.jpg

Nothing says GEEK CANDY~! quite like a blonde haired girl of unspecific Asian origin wearing a My Neighbor Totoro midriff top.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed the last couple episodes of eps of CSI: Cyber more than the first three or four.  

I thought the cyber bullying episode was pretty solid - until the last ten minutes.  The guidance counselor went full on evil and chewed scenery in her scene and the accidental shooting was a bit much.

I kinda feel like they're straining credibility trying to make the crimes both interesting and something the audience can relate to.  I have no doubt you can hack a baby monitor, but the practical criminal applications of that are so slight it's barely worth discussing, 

I have no doubt you can hack a baby monitor, but the practical criminal applications of that are so slight it's barely worth discussing, 

It's not so much the criminal application than the privacy concern.  If you can hack a nanny cam, you can pretty much compromise any camera attached to a device with a wifi connection, including cell phones, tablets, laptops, security cameras or whatever. 

You can case a building or observe someone without even being present, depending on how much camera coverage is in the target structure and naturally if the camera is turned on. 

Not every criminal or weirdo is going to be sophisticated enough to employ that sort of thing but the very existence of the capability is worthy of note.

Hackers are very good at murder, I've noticed.

I think the show's producers played Watch Dogs too much.  I know quite a few net bandits and they can barely aim a water pistol.

Man, Freddy Highmore has been great on Bates Motel this season. That scene with him and Dylan in the kitchen when Norma ran off was amazing.

I like how this show plays with the events of the movie: Norma's a bit erratic and way too possessive, sure, but she was never anything close to the monster Norman warped her into in his mind after she died. Maybe he would have ended up killing people, regardless? I don't know.  

Hackers are very good at murder, I've noticed.

I think the show's producers played Watch Dogs too much.  I know quite a few net bandits and they can barely aim a water pistol.

Yeah, but it's a CBS procedural.  IN CBS procedurals, everyone is good at murder. 

I like how, whenever a women gets murdered, the cops go to the victim's boyfriend or ex boyfriend and he's always like "Wait, you think I killed her?" while looking totally shocked at the suggestion.

Um, yeah. Of course. Because everyone knows the boyfriend/husband is the main suspect when a woman gets killed.

Well, in real life this reaction makes perfect sense. Image your love was recently killed, are angry at the world, god etc., are answering the questions of the police hoping that this will help them catch the killer and realize by the way they are asking that they are suspecting you.

Well, in real life this reaction makes perfect sense. Image your love was recently killed, are angry at the world, god etc., are answering the questions of the police hoping that this will help them catch the killer and realize by the way they are asking that they are suspecting you.

I guess. I remember listening to Serial and Don from LensCrafters, who was Hae Min's boyfriend, flat out said as soon as the cops told him she was missing his first thought was "Oh, crap. I'm going to be a suspect, I'd better get my story straight." 

He did have an airtight alibi, so he wasn't hiding anything, but I just figure in that situation, in addition to all the other emotions, you'd assume the cops will be looking at you first.