DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

That whole OVW class got to use their real names. Cena, Orton, Brock, Shelton and I guess to a lesser extent Batista. But that was also over 10 years ago now. Who was the most recent person to come in that's been allowed to use their real name?  

• Like 1

Since when do they let anyone use their real name now?

3Jlz36n7.jpeg

Was wondering the same thing...

Lots of guys were grandfathered in. That was before they were making Eddy Guerrero's kid change her name. I'm very disappointed that needed to be pointed out.

Mark Henry predated all of them, and Layla is the most recent, to my knowledge. Daniel Bryan uses a combination of his real first and last name, so that kind of counts. They didn't re-name Scott Stanford, either.

For the other claim- didn't they literally just change the definition of literally to mean both figuratively as well as literally within the last few years?

If that is literally the case, then the people complaining are not just figurative grammar Nazis, but you are literally wrong about the definition in the first place.

• Like 1

Re: Lana and Rusev, they definitely should think about just turning them both face. Personally, I'd love them to do a Soviet-era callback akin to some of the oft-stated reasons why the Russian ice team hockey struggled at Lake Placid in 1984 - too busy watching TV and looking for Levis and Cabbage Patch Kids to buy. Lana and Rusev basically get turned face 'cuz capitalism. 

Maybe Rusev is in the back and he comes upon another heel, say Sheamus, using his iPhone. Rusev looks confused and asks Sheamus what he's holding. Sheamus is all like "My phone, what do you think?" Then Rusev is like "That is phone? How is so small?" before taking out his '80s-era super-huge blocky phone with a twelve-inch antenna and shit.

Eventually, via contact with the other Western wrestlers, Rusev and Lana discover the magic of consumerism. They have fun playing Wii in the back! Lana says, "Wow, we only have Atari 2600 back in communist motherland!" Then, Ziggler shows up and is like, "Wait, have you even seen the WiiU yet? That's the newest one!" He takes them back to his locker room: They are stunned by how amazing the Splatoon game looks! Oh, and Lana can play on tablet when Rusev wants to use the TV to watch his stories! Wow, there's nothing like this in Russia!

It can culminate in Cena taking Rusev under his wing, the two enemies turned friends when Cena takes Rusev to the mall to buy some Sean John jean shorts. At the end of the skit, Rusev looks around in wonderment at the Mrs. Fields, the Gamestop, the Nordstrom, the Foot Locker - "Truly," he says, "I am home for first time in my life."

BOOM, face turn.

Re: the use of "literally": Since the language evolves constantly, someone out there (Webster?) might indicate that a second definition of literally (which is actually just another way to say "figuratively") is in use enough to be added to the lexicon as a definition. I don't know that there is one particular "they" are that decides on definitions or vocabulary words, but you see language change to meet the needs of the populace all the time, past rules be damned (for example, who cares about split infinitives anymore? No one really). Oftentimes, various groups that track linguistic changes denote those changes as "official." 

It's pretty weird to use a word for the exact opposite definition, though. This is one of a very few examples where I'd say we should get figurative rulers out and whack the figurative palms of literal people who use the word wrong because this change has the opportunity to literally confuse things. 

Also, I hear the word "literally" is not only often used in a confusing manner, but also has weak punches and a shitty missile dropkick.

• Like 4

If they're that concerned with Lana/Rusev still an item on social media, why not turn them both face?

Turning Rusev face right now might be worse for him than taking Lana away from him. They have way too many faces near the top of the card as it is: Reigns, Cena, Orton, and Bryan would all be ahead of him in the babyface pecking order. Possibly Ambrose and Ziggler too, depending on Vince's mood any day of the week. And if they turn Kane again, you know he's going to spend three months or so chasing Rollins for the belt. There's no room for Rusev.

The easiest way to turn Rusev face if they split them would be to have them do their own thing for a while with Lana running afoul or drawing the eye of the newest monster heel (rehabilitated Harper maybe?) and once he has Lana in the ring alone Rusev's music hits and he runs in and runs off the monster heel and they reunite like Macho and Liz.

I think Rusev has more potential as a babyface than as a heel tbh. All his selling and bumping is incredibly sympathetic, he's like a gigantic, Slavic Ricky Morton. I've never seen a monster heel bump or sell the way Rusev does.

The easiest way to turn Rusev face if they split them would be to have them do their own thing for a while with Lana running afoul or drawing the eye of the newest monster heel (rehabilitated Harper maybe?) and once he has Lana in the ring alone Rusev's music hits and he runs in and runs off the monster heel and they reunite like Macho and Liz.

I think Rusev has more potential as a babyface than as a heel tbh. All his selling and bumping is incredibly sympathetic, he's like a gigantic, Slavic Ricky Morton. I've never seen a monster heel bump or sell the way Rusev does.

Recycling Nikita Koloff's honor-based face turn out of respect/tribute to a fallen rival would suit me just fine (though hopefully whoever serves as his Magnum T.A. doesn't actually suffer a real career-ending injury, of course)

AJ's real name is AJ so I guess she would be the most recent. I think it's a horrible idea to split up Rusev and Lana but if you were wondering how Lana can be a successful babyface.. This would help. Spoiler for size.

SizzlingHideousBluebottle.gif

I haven't seen a dance(?) that awkward since I popped a boner during Kiss from a Rose at prom.
  • Like 6

Well they just bought that house in Nashville. I could see them doing this thing about Lana decorating and how "you American's what you lack in morality you make up for it in design...RUSEV...Look at these curtains.

If they need to change Rusev up a bit, have him Rougeau it.  Loved the All-American Boys thing as a kid and thought it was hilarious.

AJ's real name is AJ so I guess she would be the most recent. I think it's a horrible idea to split up Rusev and Lana but if you were wondering how Lana can be a successful babyface.. This would help. Spoiler for size.

SizzlingHideousBluebottle.gif

I haven't seen a dance(?) that awkward since I popped a boner during Kiss from a Rose at prom.After seeing that, I can see Vince giving Lana a modern "dancing Elaine" gimmick.

If they want a new "face of the divas division," why not look to NXT and just bring up Bayley or Becky Lynch? 

Ruining the Rusev and Lana dynamic for this is a load of crap. That's the biggest problem with modern day WWE, everything has a short shelf life.