DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

What is this unwritten rule that wrestling promoters have to be outdated culturally by 20 years?

You know the funny story about how Shawn Michaels told Verne Gagne that they wanted to be called "The Midnight Rockers" and Verne balked at it because he thought everyone would hear it and think of rocking chairs?

Vince is Verne now.

• Like 2

TNA's contracts are probably written on the napkins that the Knockouts bring home from their waitressing shifts. They'll be fine.

TNA sued the WWE two years ago for tampering with contracts. Vince isn't risking another lawsuit over a broken down, 37 year old woman who was a complete failure the one time she was already in the company.

Lost in the "Corgan to TNA" hubbub, per Meltz:

Corgan also announced that he had purchased the wrestling archives from Bob Luce, who was the promoter in Chicago during the 60s and 70s when it had some of the best wrestling in the country because it combined both WWA and AWA talent with Verne Gagne and Dick the Bruiser as co-owners. Eventually Gagne took over and it was pure AWA. Corgan mostly bought records and a photo collection. Not sure about the videotape because the TV show was mostly the AWA (which Vince McMahon would own the rights to) and some WWA.

The photo collection sounds super interesting just for the various promotional stuff like the Comiskey/Soldier Field shows.

1) I'm just saying that trying to say they're changing her name because of a reference to Baywatch and NOT BECAUSE IT IS HER REAL NAME is a little bit much.

2) Sunny was the female face of the company and did really well in that spot. Lana's ridiculously attractive, really gets it, has taken acting classes in both drama and comedy with people who know what they're doing, is a trained dancer and can also sing. She's ridiculously talented and fell into their lap because she didn't get a break in a more legitimate form of entertainment. I'd try and find a way to make her a top star, too.

1) I'm just saying that trying to say they're changing her name because of a reference to Baywatch and NOT BECAUSE IT IS HER REAL NAME is a little bit much.

It seems to me like a bit of either a rib on Meltzer, or someone trying to paint Vince as out-of-touch because that's the current narrative about him (Moved on from Vince is evil, which is still a thing, but less of a thing than crazy old out-of-touch Vince).  I wouldn't be shocked if it was more like "We can call her by her real name of CJ" and Vince saying "Hey wasn't that Pamela Anderson's name on Baywatch?!  Bonus points" and that was the end of it.  Not quite 'Let's change her name because Baywatch and kids love Baywatch'.

How do they reveal that Lana is really an American? That's going to be an awkward reveal. 

Personally, I wouldn't.  I'd either keep her as Russian and change her name.  Or bring in Bayley and have her coach Lana on how to be American and choose a more American name.  "Shut up" "Shut tup" "No, shut up" "Shut...tup" "No, SHUT UP" "You shut up" *hugs*

• Like 1

It seems to me like a bit of either a rib on Meltzer, or someone trying to paint Vince as out-of-touch because that's the current narrative about him (Moved on from Vince is evil, which is still a thing, but less of a thing than crazy old out-of-touch Vince).  I wouldn't be shocked if it was more like "We can call her by her real name of CJ" and Vince saying "Hey wasn't that Pamela Anderson's name on Baywatch?!  Bonus points".

How do they reveal that Lana is really an American? That's going to be an awkward reveal. 

Personally, I wouldn't.  I'd either keep her as Russian and change her name.  Or bring in Bayley and have her coach Lana on how to be American and choose a more American name.  "Shut up" "Shut tup" "No, shut up" "Shut...tup" "No, SHUT UP" "You shut up" *hugs*

Up and at them!

• Like 2

More like: File this under Meltzer's an idiot and anyone who takes him as gospel is, too.

Her name is C.J. Perry. She's gone by that name her whole life. It has absolutely nothing to do with Baywatch. She's also a trained dancer and actress and was in a pop band before she ended up sleazing it up in wrestling.

Yeah, Meltzer pointed out what her real name is, but said the reason for the change would be because WWE creative thinks fans would make the Pamela Anderson/Baywatch, which is totally believable coming from Vince.

But thanks for the brief bio on her life.

And to be fair, they've already once literally named someone after her character.

• Like 1

My two thoughts on the subject:

1) Meltzer's writing an article with a narrative already on his mind. And this is a narrative most people already agree with -- Vince is out-of-touch. And this means people agree with Meltzer, which makes it more likely you'll hand him your money for a subscription.

OR:

2) Meltzer's writing an article with a narrative already on his mind. Whoever his "source" is on this subject knows this and slipped him this rumor to work him and get a cheap laugh at his expense.

What the fuck is wrong with you all?  I've just read the word "literally," like, 6 times in the past three pages?  Is "literally" the new "missile dropkicks?"

It's almost like reading one of those columns from The Rick where he uses the word "gravitas" 4 or 5 times. Get that guy a thesaurus.