DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

Come to think of it, Sting/HHH should have devolved into something along the lines of the news team fight in Anchorman.

"The Monday Night Wars?? Did you forget about the AWA and Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell?!?"

Lawler leaving the commentary booth mid-sentence to rep Memphis.

Don't forget Pat Patterson leading an army of 60-year old Samoans.

Fuck it, I'm not betting against Afa and Sika if this really happened.

Come to think of it, Sting/HHH should have devolved into something along the lines of the news team fight in Anchorman.

"The Monday Night Wars?? Did you forget about the AWA and Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell?!?"

Lawler leaving the commentary booth mid-sentence to rep Memphis.

We might get a scene like this if Vince ever gets around to seeing Anchorman before he dies. 

Show was fine enough for the most part, but the "all-time best" people have lost their fucking mind.

Also, I know we're in the DVDVR bubble, where most of you are into MMA, but that Ronda Rousey segment was a throwaway Raw segment that had no fucking business on a Mania.

Obviously Sting should have gone over, everything else was fine.

It felt very much like a calculated stall to get the twilight to kick in for the Undertaker entrance.

Which failed.

Though there was sorta the beginnings of darkening for his exit/victory celebration.  A little better than nothing.

• Like 1

Show was fine enough for the most part, but the "all-time best" people have lost their fucking mind.

Also, I know we're in the DVDVR bubble, where most of you are into MMA, but that Ronda Rousey segment was a throwaway Raw segment that had no fucking business on a Mania.

It felt very much like a calculated stall to get the twilight to kick in for the Undertaker entrance.

Which failed.

Though there was sorta the beginnings of darkening for his exit/victory celebration. A little better than nothing.

Between Undertaker and Sting, THAT is exactly the reason why Batman doesn't go out before dark.

I'm usually a big fan of outdoor show because they're usually a different and distinctive look. But it hurt both of them worse than even some of us thought.

Except that segment got WWE covered on ESPN because Ronda Rousey is a big fucking deal.

Must everything be done for mainstream attention? It could have happened tomorrow on RAW and gotten the same coverage without bumping 20 wrestlers off the PPV.

• Like 1

I'm honestly kinda baffled at how glowing everyone is about the show.  I thought it was pretty solid, but largely forgettable.  About 100 steps behind last year.  Just tells me that the expectations were rock bottom.

That's what going out on a great main event with the right finish will do for you.

But, yeah, there wasn't another great match on the show.

With the exception of a few neat/sick spots, I thought the ladder match was actively bad.

I'd probably feel the same way about Taker/Bray if Taker didn't make me sad and I didn't feel bad for poor one-legged Bray trying to hold it together.

I wasn't thinking "well, this will hwlp with mainstream attention, etc" when it happened. I was just thinking "This is really fucking cool".

Yes, I mentioned that people that are into MMA would care.

Segment had no business on a Mania whatsoever.

Steph has X Pac heat with me. Seriously fuck off already she didn't even take a bump or let Ronda lock in an arm bar.

No way in hell Dana White lets her do anything more physical than what she did tonight. Even her armbar finisher.

How much money does WWE even stand to make from some throwaway segment on ESPN, anyway? No one that doesn't watch MMA cares about Ronda Rousey. They put that segment close to the main on a WrestleMania like she was LT fighting Bam Bam. She's nowhere close.

ETA: "Indisputably over" because of a crowd chant? Better call up the entire NXT roster!

had a blast with the show. then again, my only expectation was " i can't wait to see the crowd reaction for this main event" but ended up enjoying myself thru every single match.

the only points of contention:

1: why the FUCK did the nWo come out to help Sting? that made less than zero sense, especially since Sting lost. i fully disagree.

2. still not happy that Cena won. i fully understand the reasons and everything, but i'm beyond sick of that dude.

in other thinkings:

-man, that main event was fucking amazing. brock manhandling was legit. roman's comeback had me on the edge of my seat rolling my eyes. Rollins cashing in mid-match is something that i never saw anybody predict and was pleasantly surprised and excited to see the outcome.

-Big Show winning the battle royal was cool with me. he needs to win every now and again. it adds legitimacy to the Andre BR, plus it could potentially build to something in the future. Bradshaw mentioning his history (while conveniently glossing over his 1996 WW3 win) played into the ending, with Cesaro trying to replay last year's final as well as Mizdow recreating Benoit's '04 Rumble win was a great bit of storytelling.

-the RKO ending the Orton/Rollins match was a thing of beauty.

-i appreciate the Ronda Rousey appearance, but it went on about an hour too long. i was bored to tears.

• Like 1

Steph has X Pac heat with me. Seriously fuck off already she didn't even take a bump or let Ronda lock in an arm bar.

No way in hell Dana White lets her do anything more physical than what she did tonight. Even her armbar finisher.

I think her UFC contract forbids her fighting (or "fighting") for other promotions. So this was the compromise.

Why am I supposed to give a shit about the WWE getting coverage in ESPN?

They don't care if you do or not. You're already watching the WWE shows.

I know they don't.  That the WWE doesn't care what their fans want is the defining issue of the company right now.  It's why they had to chicken out on the main event of their biggest show.

I'm not surprise to read some people dislike the Ronda/Rock/McMahon segment in here(i.e. could have given time to something else, it dragged, I hate so and so characters).  I think it's fine not to dig it.

At the same time, hearing other people, who really only pay attention to wrestling during this time/event, tell me they loved it and reading people freak out over it on social media keeps me grounded on the extremes of either viewpoint.

Of course, the live crowd ate it up too.

Edited by _MJ_