DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

Does it really help Reigns? He's still going to be resented unless you're just gonna put him in the midcard.

Who cares if he is resented?  They'll just turn him heel and suddenly he's a top heel who is over.  He is turning into another Cena, where he is getting booed by fans who think they're doing right and doing their part by booing.  As long as the fans who are booing don't tune out and stop buying stuff, Reigns will be fine.

He's nowhere near Cena was at this point in his push, though. Don't get it twisted, I like Roman, I think he's getting the raw end of some poor planning by WWE but for people to think they're just going to overcome it with pro rasslin' booking like it's 30 years ago, they're going to be sadly mistaken.

You know, I came for the schadenfreude of how the fans would react to the main event, and instead I got an ending I actually enjoyed on its face.

And I don't mind at all.

(thought to be fair my schadenfreude itch got quite well scratched regardless)

Does it really help Reigns? He's still going to be resented unless you're just gonna put him in the midcard.

Well, pending future booking as with all things.  But yeah.  Instead of having his crowning Wrestlemania Championship win being shit on and rejected, now he still has that in his future.  Now he's the guy who took that beating from Brock and survived it and still had to be screwed over by Rollins at the end.  Adversity to hopefully overcome and be "the man" more organically/better accepted next year.  As far as I can tell from when I hopped back on the train here, the fan rejection of Reigns is really not him per se but how forced his recent rise has seemed and how predictably he's been booked on his fast track to tonight.  People were booing him kicking out after the F5 and at the start of his comeback offense because they "knew" what those meant, just like they booed at the Royal Rumble when Daniel Bryan was eliminated and again when Reigns came in.  They knew those were the only two guys who could win, so when Bryan lost they knew he would win.  Every time Reigns kicked out of the F5 tonight, people booed because they knew it meant he was going to win because they've seen years worth of WWE Main Event Matches, and it confirmed their beliefs that Roman Reigns was (inorganically) anointed as the guy and tonight was going to be the night it got made official.

Now Roman can have another (better booked?) chance at the long chase.

There's no way I'd rank this the best Mania but I'd certainly say that was one of the top 5 Mania main events ever. What an absolutely perfectly booked match. Reigns gets the Tommy Dreamer He's Hardcore push, Lesnar looks like a unstoppable monster until he slips in a banana peel, and fresh young guy walks out with the belt.

The rest of the show was better than expected but I don't think it'll age well. Speaking of age, though, Taker looks about 10 years younger without that goofy Lidell-hawk. It was nice to see him and Sting still go but I hope next year is the swan song for both as I think both those wells are nearing bottom.

Flair chopping Steamboat - who looked totally surprised - made me pop bigger than any part of that overly long Rock skit.

• Like 1

Who cares if he is resented?  They'll just turn him heel and suddenly he's a top heel who is over.  He is turning into another Cena, where he is getting booed by fans who think they're doing right and doing their part by booing.  As long as the fans who are booing don't tune out and stop buying stuff, Reigns will be fine.

He's nowhere near Cena was at this point in his push, though. Don't get it twisted, I like Roman, I think he's getting the raw end of some poor planning by WWE but for people to think they're just going to overcome it with pro rasslin' booking like it's 30 years ago, they're going to be sadly mistaken.

Well, yea, he isn't at Cena's point back in 05 but if the fans keep thinking they're doing some service by booing Reigns, they're wrong.  If the heel heat gets bigger, he'll be in a Cena-esque position.  The guy just really isn't a sympathetic figure.

so, Reigns turns heel when Rollins replaces J&J Security with R&R Security (a one man security force of Roman Reigns)

What? Why?

well presumably Rollins will want to upgrade his security now that Brock Lesnar is gonna eventually murder him.

Although maybe Cena should experience the Reigns heel turn instead..

gotta enjoy the precedent set tonight by Rollins. Cashing in your MITB during a match makes that match a triple threat match!

Didn't have expectations one way or the other aside from Cena/Rusev and Reigns/Lesnar being good. I have to say I was quite pleased, easily the most I have enjoyed a WWE ppv this year. The segments weren't too bad and all of the matches were fun at worst.

The Tag Titles match and Battle Royal were good. The ladder match was probably the worst match for me, but it wasn't too bad and I loved the headbutt duel finish between Daniel & Ziggler. The divas tag solid.

HHH vs. Sting was pretty good until they went into the DX vs. NWO stuff. The latter was still fun for its ridiculousness, but I would have preferred Sting and HHH wrestle a straight forward match.

Orton vs. Seth was good. that RKO  was one of the most insane ones yet.

Taker vs. Wyatt was pretty decent though nothing amazing. It was good seeing Taker back in good shape. I kind of hope he does another few matches before next year's show.

Rusev vs. Cena was great. I loved the energy and Rusev looked good despite the loss. Only wish Cena got maybe a little more offense though I love the springboard stunner if only for the out of nowhere ridiculousness of it.

Brock vs. Reigns was fantastic. Reigns took the same kind of ass beating Cena did while smiling. Every little comeback he made looked great, stiff, and seemed to bloody Lesnar up just a little more. I was fine with the finish. Rollins needed to use his briefcase and WWE needs a champ who will defend a bit more often. This might actually allow someone like Dean or even Ziggler a shot at the world title on ppv.

• Like 1

And Rusev getting the Russian National Anthem and a TANK~! was delightful.

And honestly, Cena pinning him after a Lana bump was probably the best case scenario as far as protecting him in defeat goes.

I'm super curious to know what they do with John Cena: US Champion. Who the hell does he feud with for that?

Good on Cena for being willing to take the third-place title and hope he makes something of it.

But all three titles are now way more interesting than they have been in years.

WWE WORLD TITLE: Seth Rollins stole the title to usurp Brock Lesnar who is sticking around and coming back who knows when. Roman Reigns is going to want some. And probably Randy Orton. There's a lot of fun with that. Does Dean get a shot?

IC TITLE: In the hands of a former World Champion who never really got a rematch for what he had taken from him due to injury. The smark fan's hero and a borderline transcendent star. Does the IC Title become the Smackdown belt? Does he now get chased by the hardcore fan's favorites ala Dolph, Wade, Dean, etc.?

US TITLE: Now in the hands of the kayfabe (and maybe legit) best wrestler of his generation and a guy who can main event pretty much every PPV until he hangs it up. A win over Cena for this belt is a friggin' starmaking performance.

Super exciting time. I don't remember a WrestleMania that felt like a "reset" button in so many ways.

Maybe the best 'Mania ever and one of the great North American cards of all-time. Rollins/Orton, Ladder, Main event and Sting/Hunter easily over 4 1/2 stars. Rusev/Cena, Bray/Taker over 3 and the Divas tag also being one of the better women's matches since probably Mickie/Trish,  

Three of the all-time greatest wrestling entrances with Hunter as a Terminator, Rusev DRIVING A FUCKING TANK, and Cena resurrecting goddamn Reagan. 

Sting/Hunter might be the best smoke and mirrors WWE match in history. Rousey/Rock angle the most holy shit WWE stuff since the Pipe Bomb and the closing angle is the first time since MITB '11 that the WWE actually got something completely right.

Also, with what is know about the Undertaker's physical condition, what he did out there is a fucking miracle. Nothing but respect for that dude. 

• Like 4

People in here worried about Reigns and Rollins, but I think they'll be fine. WWE cares about those dudes right now.

Now if we're talking about that Ambrose guy who use to team up with them, and can barely get a mention in here now....yeah. He needs your love.

You know, I came for the schadenfreude of how the fans would react to the main event, and instead I got an ending I actually enjoyed on its face.

And I don't mind at all.

(thought to be fair my schadenfreude itch got quite well scratched regardless)

Well, pending future booking as with all things.  But yeah.  Instead of having his crowning Wrestlemania Championship win being shit on and rejected, now he still has that in his future.  Now he's the guy who took that beating from Brock and survived it and still had to be screwed over by Rollins at the end.  Adversity to hopefully overcome and be "the man" more organically/better accepted next year.  As far as I can tell from when I hopped back on the train here, the fan rejection of Reigns is really not him per se but how forced his recent rise has seemed and how predictably he's been booked on his fast track to tonight.  People were booing him kicking out after the F5 and at the start of his comeback offense because they "knew" what those meant, just like they booed at the Royal Rumble when Daniel Bryan was eliminated and again when Reigns came in.  They knew those were the only two guys who could win, so when Bryan lost they knew he would win.  Every time Reigns kicked out of the F5 tonight, people booed because they knew it meant he was going to win because they've seen years worth of WWE Main Event Matches, and it confirmed their beliefs that Roman Reigns was (inorganically) anointed as the guy and tonight was going to be the night it got made official.

Now Roman can have another (better booked?) chance at the long chase.

We'll see. I just think it's going to be hard for Reigns to ever really shake that stigma. If they had just given Daniel Bryan his proper run and let it play out, everything would be different.

Based on crowd reactions, Reigns still has to jump over guys like Ambrose and Ziggler in terms of who the fans that still attend shows want to see get that spot. Maybe with Rollins as champ, they can run through those guys while Reigns works his way back up but I feel like Vince is likely just delaying the Reigns coronation by a couple months.

I'm guessing Cena drops the belt by June and is off feuding with someone else.

I'm super curious to know what they do with John Cena: US Champion. Who the hell does he feud with for that?

Good on Cena for being willing to take the third-place title and hope he makes something of it.

so, Reigns turns heel when Rollins replaces J&J Security with R&R Security (a one man security force of Roman Reigns)

What? Why?

well presumably Rollins will want to upgrade his security now that Brock Lesnar is gonna eventually murder him.

Why would Roman want to work for the guy who just screwed him out of the title?

Rusev vs. Cena was great. I loved the energy and Rusev looked good despite the loss. Only wish Cena got maybe a little more offense though I love the springboard stunner if only for the out of nowhere ridiculousness of it.

Not enough has been said about the rebound stunner. Where the hell did THAT come from?

Good luck trying to read this thread in one setting.  I click for the next page and there's two pages added to it.  Hot damn.

Will say more about it tomorrow, but thank God I watched this at a bar instead of at home.  People were losing their minds for everything and it was a really enjoyable time.  The show overall was so much fun.

I had no problem cheering like a mofo for Rollins winning.  I can't say I was a big fan of Tyler Black, but it was more the fact that another (mainly) ROH guy is WWE Champion.  ROH's stock can only go up from this.  The main was great, but the cash-in achieved the intended purpose.  Many fun times were had.