DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 63: Mendes vs. Lamas (4/4/2015) - Fairfax, VA (Patriot Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Was anyone picking Lamas? I mean, he's a decent fighter, but Mendes is just on another level.

Going in, I would have not been surprised if he won a round. Probably Mendes taking off the final round after being up four rounds to none. I thought Mendes would win the first three rounds easily and start mixing in his wrestling midway through. Turns out he didn't really need the wrestling other than stopping a few desperation takedowns.

Was anyone picking Lamas? I mean, he's a decent fighter, but Mendes is just on another level.

the odds for Mendes were so good that the ESPN streak game prop was "Mendes by decision, or any other result". The super-majority picked "Any other result". Same majority picked Iaquinta, marking a rare 2 for 2 performance by the sheep.

Screw the decision, Al Iaquinta's post fight Cartman reaction is one of the best/worse things in the history of the UFC.

Given that he comes out to the theme of the Sopranos I guess Jersey just came out of him in that post fight interview.   And when he was heading to the back challenging any and all that would complain.

That was a fun show. Got a photo with Clay Guida and one of the ring girls. I also go to go cageside. The only 'downside' of the evening was not getting a chance to talk to Luke Thomas (who kept the same reaction all night) as he sprinted out of the building once the main event was over. During the Mitch Clarke match, the UFC fans started with the Lil John "What" and Ric Flair woo's. UFC FN was turning into a post WM Raw...and I was getting scared. Once a 'Guida' chant broke out during the match (you know THE MATCH THAT DIDN'T INVOLVE CLAY GUIDA) I knew it was all down hill from there...lucky it wasn't.

RE: Raging Al

Listen, no one was booing Al. The fans were booing the situation and the bad judging. Everyone thought Jorge won the fight and Al being giving the W was bullshit.When there’s a somewhat controversial decision, some of the crowd will keep booing all the way through the interview. It’s not fun, but a professional would know the crowd isn’t booing him, they’re booing the situation. It happens all the time. It sucks but telling them to fuck off isn’t going to make things better.

It’s another douchebag move for Iaquinta, a repeat offender who’s quickly climbing the DB rankings ever since the hotel room destruction. On the flip side, I suppose it does increase his value as a "heel"

I recall Mendes was the heavy favorite.  Ever since the first Aldo fight, he's just completely transformed into a dangerous, well-rounded contender.  Just not as good fundamentally as Aldo.

Will be interesting to see who Pena faces next and if the fight is on a PPV, a headlining fight on a PPV prelim or a feature fight on a fight night card.

They will probably move her along a little bit more slowly. The problem though is that there is virtually little depth in the bantamweight division and nothing would be gained throwing her against girls who probably shouldn't be there. I mean Dudieva was a good confidence builder opponent, but she isn't cut out for the UFC. She shouldn't even have that one UFC win. BTW, shoutout to Elizabeth Phillips for rocking the form fitting black lycra pants at the show.

Maybe they give her GdR, but that could go bad if Pena can't get her down. The winner of Kaufman vs. Davis 3 (aka the Trilogy No One Wanted) would be a solid opponent and probably the best gauge of where she is. I think Nunes would probably be a bigger step up than they want. We will see.

Will be interesting to see who Pena faces next and if the fight is on a PPV, a headlining fight on a PPV prelim or a feature fight on a fight night card.

They will probably move her along a little bit more slowly. The problem though is that there is virtually little depth in the bantamweight division and nothing would be gained throwing her against girls who probably shouldn't be there. I mean Dudieva was a good confidence builder opponent, but she isn't cut out for the UFC. She shouldn't even have that one UFC win. BTW, shoutout to Elizabeth Phillips for rocking the form fitting black lycra pants at the show.

Maybe they give her GdR, but that could go bad if Pena can't get her down. The winner of Kaufman vs. Davis 3 (aka the Trilogy No One Wanted) would be a solid opponent and probably the best gauge of where she is. I think Nunes would probably be a bigger step up than they want. We will see.

GDR would work and Nunes would be really fun to see as would the winner of Kaufman vs. Davis 3. To fit Pena's garbage narrative of she would already be the champ if she didn't hurt her knee. Her next fight would be Carmouche so Pena could try to finish her sooner then Rousey did thus keep up her trash talking Rousey.

Was it just me or was the point deduction a little hasty in the heavyweight fight?

There live it seemed ridiculous, but we couldn't hear if the referee had repeatedly warned him first.  Also the stoppage seemed a bit early, no way if that was the main event would it have been stopped since he was still doing something resembling defending.  Not enough to be angry about or anything but I've seen worse not get stopped before.  Hell Pena had her opponent in the same position for over a minute before the referee stopped the match.  Refereeing is so subjective, I am not blaming them, but the rules are definitely not applied the same across the board.

Was it just me or was the point deduction a little hasty in the heavyweight fight?

There live it seemed ridiculous, but we couldn't hear if the referee had repeatedly warned him first.  Also the stoppage seemed a bit early, no way if that was the main event would it have been stopped since he was still doing something resembling defending.  Not enough to be angry about or anything but I've seen worse not get stopped before.  Hell Pena had her opponent in the same position for over a minute before the referee stopped the match.  Refereeing is so subjective, I am not blaming them, but the rules are definitely not applied the same across the board.

Dudieva was throwing punches from the bottom when she first got mounted though. Once she stopped doing that, that was when you could tell the ref was looking to step in.

Abdurakhimov, who by the way is Dudieva's teammate, was doing about a quarter of that at best. I think people had more of a problem with Johnson's offense not exactly being the cleanest along with it being a few seconds left in the round. Also, to be fair, Pena wasn't really landing clean until Dudieva just stopped moving. I know we are comparing a giant heavyweight to a 135 pound female, but one thing was consistent. When the person on the bottom showed they're not going to attempt to fight back, there was no extended sequence of indecision on the ref's behalf. How many times have we seen where someone like Herb Dean shouts out to the fighter "fight back" several times? Many of those times, you can argue that Herb is trying to be a little too fair and turns a bit excessive. I am not saying I have a big problem with that protocol and there should be a major shakeup with policies like that. However, based on evidence the ref is seeing in the actual fight, there is a strong argument that sometimes fighters should not be afforded multiple chances. By this, I mean it should be case-by-case.

If someone is making a decent, decipherable attempt to get out of a bad spot and conscious enough to do so, go ahead and give them a shot to continue on. However, once we've gotten to the point where said person isn't trying to hip escape/shrimp or throw strikes back, I think it's fair to go ahead and end it once their opponent has taken full advantage. That's why I hate that argument of it being only a few moments left in the round. The problem is people forget it's the fighter's job, not the ref's, to stop their opponent from whooping their ass. There is NO unofficial rule where refs cannot stop a bout with ten or so seconds left in the round. The referee is suppose to be unbiased in his or her duties. Part of that is not developing this strange, benefit of the doubt combat sports fans have conjured up to fit their narrative. It goes back to something like Joe Riggs' "I was waiting for him to stop punching" line against Kazuo Misaki years back. Fighters, probably the hard way, have to learn that's not a sound strategy. Either take the responsibility to defend yourself when you have all your faculties or suffer the consequences when you don't. It's as easy as that.

A couple things seemed crazy live.  That point deduction seemed really premature, but he was clearly grabbing the fence.  It just seemed like he didn't give him a chance to not grab the fence.  Clay Guida must have brought his entire hometown, I honestly don't know why he was such a fan favorite.  He was pretty entertaining on Saturday, but his fights are usually mind numbingly dull.  The USA chants make me want to slap someone.  These fighters came from halfway around the world to entertain you, they aren't Nikita Koloff.  Stop chanting USA at them.  People tend to lose all dignity when someone they have seen on TV walk by.  I was sitting in the first row, above the entryway and people were acting like they were watching The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show when Stitch walked by.  Before the fights started him, Brian Stann, and Bruce Buffer were taking pictures and shaking hands with everyone, but once the fights started people were yelling at people who were halfway across the arena trying to get a picture.  Everyone seemed really nice and took pictures with everyone who asked, but stop screaming at people who can't possibly hear you.  I was in the bathroom when Al Iaquinta cut his promo, but I have no idea how he won that fight.  It really looked like Masvidal was battering him the entire fight from where I was sitting, and I decided to go empty the bladder before the decision in ordert to beat the line.  My friend asked me if I wanted to stay for the decision of the last fight during the the last round of the Masvidal/Iaquinta fight, and I told him, "If it's as one-sided as this fight we should leave as soon as it's over."  The fights were fun for the most part, but 11 AM is too early for a UFC event.