DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] FINALS: SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. RUSEV

RIPPA

SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. RUSEV  

159 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE YOUR WINNER

Before you vote, ask yourselves this: "Could Rusev do anything with Bad Luck Fale?" (Other than squash him like a bug.)

• Like 2

I don't know if OSJ is saying that, but Nakamura can just as easily crush jobbers with a wave of Boma Ye, AKA the "I'll run and put this leg through your head attack". The point is that Nakamura has more options than just the crushing.

I'm rooting for Nakamura, but it's cool if Rusev wins, because he's really good, too. Both of these guys are super pro-wrestling and I'm glad Nakamura is in the finals regardless.

Vote Nakamura, though. YEAHO.

I actually think Rusev could do something with Fale. His selling, especially over time is that good. 

EDIT: also, in true march madness fashion, I'm finding the NJPW supporters more annoying with their hard sell than the Rusev supporters, so I'm going for Rusev.

• Like 2

I actually think Rusev could do something with Fale. His selling, especially over time is that good. 

EDIT: also, in true march madness fashion, I'm finding the NJPW supporters more annoying with their hard sell than the Rusev supporters, so I'm going for Rusev.

To paraphrase another great Russia-affiliated person, the illusion which exalts Rusev is dearer to Matt D than ten thousand truths about how great Nakamura is.

I think for me, the difference between the two is degree of difficulty.

Nakamura is a flashy, hugely charismatic performer who is treated as a huge deal by his company and works a style that the company and its fans highly value.

Rusev, on the other hand, has a gimmick that some may write off as an easy cheap heat magnet, but that has not actually been successful in WWE in a very long time. Umaga and maybe Khali (though only for a very short period) managed to make evil foreigner work, but then you have Koslov, Hassan, Suzuki, and the early runs of guys like Birchall, Cesaro, and Santino. He's also in a company that doesn't exactly place a high priority on long-term selling and subtle mannerisms - arguably his strongest areas. And he's benefitted from WWE booking mainly in that they've left him alone to develop instead of getting a bunch of false starts and "test his dedication" public embarassments. He's been fairly well protected and kept out of the midcard treadmill for the most part, yes, but has still been positioned as clearly below Reigns and Rollins as "future of the company" material and gone through his share of "I don't know, maybe another match with Swagger?" booking apathy.

Given all that, the guy still manages to feel like a big deal every time he's on television, and has clearly placed a premium on developing all of the little skills that separate a great wrestler from a very good one. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I'd rather watch Rusev sell a torn up ankle than Nakamura have a twitch fit in the corner; but even if I did subjectively enjoy what Nak does more, I think I'd still concede that Rusev's had a much tougher road to awesomeness.

• Like 1

I am just having fun messing with you guys.  If anyone should be put off, it is those of us that have endured the silent Zayn and Rusev vote from the anonymous who may or may not have watched any matches by their collective opposition.  No need to defend or promote a position because it's invisible.

You may not like my shameless promotion but my opinion is attached to my name and I am good with whomever wins the poll.  Just because I really like Nak doesn't mean that Rusev is not an awesome monster.

I think GOTNW did an excellent job in highlighting Nakamura's strengths and why he's a sensible choice but I think you did a bit much in underselling how well Rusev has run with both the gimmick/out of ring stuff and the little things he does in the ring (limb selling, selling accumulative damage in general, bumping, presence as seen through his body language but especially his facial expressions that say so much without a single world, dominant offense which is absolutely vital for a heel particularly a monster one at that). I also think he makes guys look really good even though in the end he crushes. Swagger and Big E have have never looked better than in their feuds with Rusev. Now, the fact that they were pretty much written off afterwards was a mixture of shitty booking (and commentary, fuck JBL) and done at the expense of pushing Rusev as a destroyer. I thought the Cena match was one of his weaker performances in terms of structuring a match and holding the audience's attention (I know my interest waned throughout) but on the whole I think he does really well on attack. I'm not really concerned about him after Cena wins this Sunday because he's so gotdayum talented that he'll find his footing and find it soon.

I voted Nakamura for many of the reasons you stated but Rusev is really fucking good right now. I didn't have to think about the choice all that hard because Nakamura's body of work throughout the past 12 months has been top level but, Rusev is rad. We can exalt Nakamura without discrediting Rusev's wonderful performances.

Oh, and in saying that, that Big Show match sucked hard. The Cena match went 6 minutes longer than his next longest PPV match and I think that didn't help. He seems to do best when matches are in the 8-10 minute range (Swagger and Big E matches). That's something he needs to work on and another argument as to why Nakamura is a better choice at this stage of the game.

Edit: looked it up and the title change match with Sheamus went 12, the rematch 16. I preferred the first one.

"We can exalt Nakamura without discrediting Rusev's wonderful performances." - Oyaji

Wise words. Next year could easily be Rusev's year. The only thing lacking thus far is the resume of longer matches. At 10-12 minutes he's as good as anyone. We need to see him maintain that level of performance for 20-30 minutes.

Holy crap, If the Rusev beating of Cena last night on RAW had been a thing two weeks ago, I'd be drinking vodka, eating borscht, telling my kid stories about Baba Yaga, and siding with the RUSEV CRUSH~! crowd.

I still do not regret my support for BOMA YE~!

Whoever said this is the chillest tournament final in a while is correct.  Like many I'd be happy with either guy winning.  Love Rusev, but voted Nakamura.  The guy just has that something special that I would prefer over many a wrestler.

• Like 2

I voted for Rusev, but I wish I could take that vote back. Nakamura was clearly the better wrestler last year and had matches that were far better than Rusev's.

I spite voted against Nakamura for beating Zayn, but that was wrong.

Fuck Rusev. Russian ass Tazmaniac lookin motherfucker.

• Like 4

I voted for Rusev, but I wish I could take that vote back. Nakamura was clearly the better wrestler last year and had matches that were far better than Rusev's.

I spite voted against Nakamura for beating Zayn, but that was wrong.

Fuck Rusev. Russian ass Tazmaniac lookin motherfucker.

There is no wrong vote in this poll. 

Did you see Rusev last night?  Holy shit...Dude tossed around those heavy ass set monitors like they were made of paper.