DVDVR Message Board

RIP el Hijo del Perro Aguayo

Linus

Some newz sites didn't even update the story that it wasn't caused by the 619 until about 8 hours after everyone on here already knew. It's going to end up being an urban legend because it's a digestible anecdote, which sucks.

I saw this posted on my feed.

Mexican Wrestler Hijo Del Perro from AAA that passed away this morning died due to a snapped vertebrae. He snapped his vertebrae by taking a hit onto the mat while his body was twisted. He made it even worse by re entering the ring and taking a drop kick from Rey mysterio

It sounds like he twisted his neck taking the frankensteiner/hurricanrana that he ended up rolling out to the floor. Rolls back and for a second he's all right and then takes the drop kick from Rey to set up the 619. So what ever happened it happened in that small window.

I feel for Rey. It really was a freak accident. For all we know he might have had lingering neck issues (like Misawa) so any simple routine move could have had this outcome.

I think it might have been the site El Mexicano who wrote they were setting up the 619 spot and didn't specify at the time that it was prior to that happening. They don't have the info on there anymore, but I know one of the guys who was taking photos at show was ringside mentioned the article was incorrect with what happened at that point and posted the details of what happened.

Everyone else mentioned Perro hit the ropes wrong. Odessasteps mentioned the Marco Corleone injury in December and when I was being told what happened that was what it sounded like.

The initial reports did mention he died of cervical spine trauma.

They are going to investigate Perro Jr's death.

I was trying to put this into context for a WWE fan base, and here's what I came up with:

Imagine Randy Orton dying in the ring during a match with Steve Austin, with Hulk Hogan at ringside, on RAW the night after Austin had made his long-awaited WWE comeback at Survivor Series 2015.

I've only been following lucha for about a year, but in that time I'd picked up that Perro was one of the top heel performers in Mexico. And while he may not have been in his wrestling prime at 35, he still had plenty of years left in the game. Rey is of course an iconic figure, the returning hero, and Konnan is someone who changed the business inside and outside the ring. And this isn't a hotel drug overdose, this is in the ring. This isn't Eddie Guerrero, it's Owen Hart, but if Owen had been one of WWE's top acts in 1999.

Is that too much? Too little?

The usual displays of unreaearched and lazy 'journalism' are your typical disgrace.

The head scissors was very awkward and could have easily caused damage. The confusion is his awareness that he missed his landing and was able to jump straight back into the ring to reposition. If the rana caused traumor any further contact could have sealed it.

Regardless, it's an absolute tragedy.

The usual displays of unreaearched and lazy 'journalism' are your typical disgrace.

Hey speaking of which...

typical_ESPNhorseshit.jpg

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Shoddy, Sensationalized, Lowest Common Denominator Sports Reporting

Same thing on the front page of CNN.

This is terrible news. I first really started watching lucha right around the time Perro was going up against Mistico in CMLL on a weekly basis. Him, Hector Garza and L.A. Park were my favorite guys back then.

RIP

Latest is that the box, lucha & MMA commissioner said it was cardiac arrest.

They already announced the cause of death.  Why the fuck would you make shit up now.  

First of all, that's disrespectful.

Second, the Box, lucha & MMA commissioner from Tijuana said it was cardiac arrest.

I've been keeping track of the story since it first happened. Have been updating constantly on my site and that's the latest news.

Latest is that the box, lucha & MMA commissioner said it was cardiac arrest.

They already announced the cause of death.  Why the fuck would you make shit up now.  

First of all, that's disrespectful.

Second, the Box, lucha & MMA commissioner from Tijuana said it was cardiac arrest.

I've been keeping track of the story since it first happened. Have been updating constantly on my site and that's the latest news.

I didn't mean you made up shit I was talking about the Box.  Sorry I wasn't clear about it.   

So...from what I saw...did they mess up the hurricanrana spot? Was Perrito supposed to end up on the ropes in the 619 position after the rana, but instead fell through the ropes so they had to kind of "re-do" the 619 setup with the dropkick? That's my take from watching the vid. What a tragedy. RIP Perrito

Looking at a close-up, there appears to be blood in one eye. That would be consistent with an aneurysm (or it can be caused by rubbing one's eye when it itches), I know, lots of possibilities. Mike's right that scissors looked awfully snug, and that very well could have started the problem which the drop-kick brought to its horrible conclusion. What's absolutely certain is that the 619 had nothing to do with it. ESPN should be ashamed of themselves for running with that. What the fuck ever happened to check your facts, recheck your facts, and then check them again?

• Like 2

For some reason, there looked to be a lot of torque going on on Perrito's head during the rana.  Hard to explain, but it's almost like the headscissors was too tight and it ended up cranking his neck out of whack.

I thought this very same thing. I think you're right.

I'm skeptical he had a heart attack, but I'm kinda hoping the truth is somewhere along those lines.  It's a tragedy no matter how you look at it, but, years from now, "Perro had a heart attack" will be less of a story than "Rey Mysterio accidentally killed someone with a botched headscissors and a dropkick".  This probably ends up being Rey's legacy after he retires, which is unfortunate.

Was wondering if this has a lasting impact on lucha?  I kinda feel like a death in the ring (on tv, at least) could be the beginning of the end for the WWE.  How many advertisers would want to be associated with that, unless they were really committed to the programming in the first place?  But that might be overstating things.  WWE survived a wrestler falling to his death from the rafters shortly before a PPV went on the air, and an active uppercard wrestler murdering his family (which became a very big tabloid news story), so.....

Was wondering if this has a lasting impact on lucha?  I kinda feel like a death in the ring (on tv, at least) could be the beginning of the end for the WWE.  How many advertisers would want to be associated with that, unless they were really committed to the programming in the first place?  But that might be overstating things.  WWE survived a wrestler falling to his death from the rafters shortly before a PPV went on the air, and an active uppercard wrestler murdering his family (which became a very big tabloid news story), so.....

Just to clarify, Owen fell during, not before, the PPV.