DVDVR Message Board

RIP el Hijo del Perro Aguayo

Linus

Yeah, no kidding. The 2 seconds I saw of it before I shut it off are more than enough to haunt me forever. At the very least people should post a fucking warning before hand and not just throw the God damn video up so it can autoplay and horrify everyone.

This is one of the worst things thats ever happened in the business. I feel absolutely sick for Rey and Perro, Sr, etc. I can't begin to imagine what they're going through. This is just terrible.

My spanish isn't great, but it was good enough to mostly make it through this a few weeks ago . I've been spending a lot of time with 2010 Hector Garza, which is a year or two before he went off to Perros del Mal and his death but I read the Observer bio from after he died and I looked around on youtube. I found this pretty touching at the time and I think parts of it resonate even more now and if you have any Spanish it's certainly a better thing to watch than the videos of the incident being posted. 

• Like 1

Just saw/read the news today. Unreal and completely sad all around. Does Mysterio hang it up after this? If he doesn't is the 619 a no-go going forward? I saw the video and its just sad as hello. From Konnan to Rey to the trainers/doctors. Just a sad scene all around. R.I.P. to a guy who has always been in my top twenty luchas of the last 10 years or so.

Perros del Mal had just started up when I was getting into lucha. Perrito was definitely a formative influence for me. This one hurts.

This is a picture of Rey's dropkick moments before the accident. It looks like it landed squarely on Perrito's shoulder - nothing morbid about the image (spoilered, regardless). It must have been the way he hit the middle rope. There's nobody to blame this on. It had nothing to do with a medical condition preexisting injury, or highspot gone wrong. Just a one-in-a-billion freak occurrence...

57Ps6KE.jpg

Just saw/read the news today. Unreal and completely sad all around. Does Mysterio hang it up after this? If he doesn't is the 619 a no-go going forward?

It's sad that this is going to be the urban legend, but it had nothing to do with the 619.

So sad when I read about it this morning, It was just a freak accident the way he fell into the ropes, nothing do to with the 619. Such a sad tragedy it could happen to any wrestler on any given day.

R.I.P Perro!

I wish I had more of a frame of reference here.  I vaguely remember a very young Perro having a match on a WWF syndie show in early 1997 but that's about it.  Will need to look up some of his matches, have heard nothing but good things about him.

From what I've seen, it was a freak accident on a spot that's been done a bunch of times before.

RIP Perro.

I did see the video, and Perrito was already gone on the rope. You can see TJ noticing it next to him that he's out.

Sad weekend and week for wrestling. Too many folks gone.

I think I represent a lot of people when I say that Perrito was a major part of what sparked my interest in lucha. As an American, I was drawn first to the US indies and then to Japan because the style was so similar. Lucha always seemed unintelligible for whatever reason, but the press that Mistico and Perrito got was what first made me seek out matches from Mexico. I remember being enraged at how much stalling Perrito would do, and thinking it made the match worse, and I fondly remember the day it all clicked and i realized how it was all by design. To me, Perro is similar to Misawa not only because of the way their lives ended, but because he is a performer that I can tie so clearly to my discovery of an entire style of pro wrestling. 

I'm shocked, I'm saddened. Sometimes being a wrestling fan is the pits. Thoughts and prayers for everyone. 

Perros del Mal had just started up when I was getting into lucha. Perrito was definitely a formative influence for me. This one hurts.

This is a picture of Rey's dropkick moments before the accident. It looks like it landed squarely on Perrito's shoulder - nothing morbid about the image (spoilered, regardless). It must have been the way he hit the middle rope. There's nobody to blame this on. It had nothing to do with a medical condition preexisting injury, or highspot gone wrong. Just a one-in-a-billion freak occurrence...

57Ps6KE.jpg

Yeah it looks like his neck took the full ropes on the landing.  I don't think the kick had anything to do with it.  And definitely not the 619.  Unfortunately he might have been gone before the actual shot

The whole match is on youtube.  Definitely don't need to the see the video again.  You can tell that every single guy in the ring knew something horrible in the ring.  I assume that Rey was trying to tell people of the seriousness of the situation because after he talked the crowd started chanting for him and got really quiet    :(

Watching a couple videos on it, it's indeed tough to watch.  Viewing a couple videos I saw the whole thing.  The whiplash is what got him, not the 619.  It's weird to think that the ropes are relatively safe, but maybe it was she speed/force he went into them?  Meltzer thought the whiplash from Manik hitting the ropes did him in, but he looks gone before that.  Either way it's very unsettling to watch.  If I saw him like that after the 619 spot I'd just stop the match, to hell with the finish.  Definitely was weird seeing that go on for another minute.  There was another video that was super close up that got a lot of the aftermath.  I saw it out of morbid curiosity and I regret it now, definitely wouldn't recommend watching it.

Up until some CMLL shows on Azteca, I haven't really watched much lucha, especially AAA.  I've certainly heard of Perro and how good he was, but never saw his stuff.  I didn't have that emotional investment into him like others did.  But it's so sad seeing his death happen mid-match and there's numerous videos of the incident.  It's unnerving knowing he was only three years older than me.  I'm not sure if he had any pre-existing conditions, but the fact a normally safe spot would kill him is so sad.  I feel really bad for Rey, but he didn't know.  Nobody did.  It's just so, so sad.  RIP, Aguayo.

Looking at the update at PWinsider.com, they believe that him the falling to the floor after the head scissors might have been what really started the problem.  I really didn't notice if the bump he took to the floor was that brutal to be honest

I actually got the news from a friend as he was being texted about Perro in the hospital a little past midnight. My twitter timeline is awful & sad right now...I mentioned this to Dylan Waco that one of the first reports had Perro in "Stable condition" and about 5 minutes later I got the message (about 1 am) that Perro Jr. had passed away. We waited a bit since we were in shock over it and last thing one wants to be is the bearer of bad news. TJP/Manik then sent out his tweet and then we got the 2nd message Perro had passed away. Very sad. 

My first time seeing Perro Jr. was him sometimes being shown around his father as a little kid. Japanese show World Pro Wrestling did a feature on Perro Aguayo were he introduced his wife, daughters and his young son, Perro Aguayo Jr., who showed a lot of personality even as a little kid.

I always enjoyed his work in the ring. Had tons of charisma. I think his career really picked up when Antonio Pena decided to run a 4-way feud between Perro Jr., Latin Lover, Hector Garza, and Heavy Metal. I recall we would refer to that as the "pretty boy feud". Heavy and Latin were very popular at that time. Garza was coming off his run in WCW. Perro Jr. was moved up and he was the guy that the men would root for. That made him a star, jumping to CMLL and forming Los Perros del Mal took him to superstardom. He probably would have been a far bigger star had he not had some of the issues and injuries from 2008 and beyond, but the last 1-2 years he started reviving his career. He was being set-up as the top rudo against Myzteziz, Alberto El Patron and Rey Mysterio. The timing of his death (not that there's ever a good time) is very heartbreaking.

It's crazy and terrifying how innocuous that bump looked.  I almost wondered if something happened when he went over the ropes just before but didn't lose consciousness until after he hit the ropes.  It was just a few seconds between spots.  It's so awful to think a guy could die from just hitting the ropes from just standing in front of them and falling into them.   It didn't even look like he hit them wrong.  He hit them under his arm like you are supposed to.

Looking at the update at PWinsider.com, they believe that him the falling to the floor after the head scissors might have been what really started the problem.  I really didn't notice if the bump he took to the floor was that brutal to be honest

I'm wondering it it was really either one of those bumps.  He doesn't appear to hit his head on the headscissors bump, and I'm not convinced he was ok when Rey dropkicked him.  Hard to tell, but he almost looks dazed after he rolls back into the ring.  He gets up from the headscissors normally, but seems to roll back in a bit sluggishly, starts to get to his feet, then just stands there hunched over.  Hard to tell since you can't see his face well enough to gauge if he's conscious and lucid (and the spot required him to stand there until Rey dropkicked him), but the dropkick at least looks like a normal bump.  I couldn't see where he would knock himself out or break his neck on that bump.  It looks fairly ordinary.  

Not a doctor, but I'm wondering if he didn't suffer an aneurysm/brain bleed at some point earlier in the match and kept going for a few minutes afterwards (entirely possible with a slow bleed).  That seems at least as likely to me as immediate death from a fairly routine bump.

Definitely not the 619, so it sucks that that rumor is gaining traction.  Rey doesn't actually touch him with the 619 and he looks to be out by then anyway.  Manik (TJ. I assume) checks him before Rey hits the rope and seems to realize what's happening then,

Crazy that they continued the match.  TJ almost certainly realizes something is disastrously wrong by the time he stands up and Rey appears to realize something too, 

It's crazy and terrifying how innocuous that bump looked. I almost wondered if something happened when he went over the ropes just before but didn't lose consciousness until after he hit the ropes. It was just a few seconds between spots. It's so awful to think a guy could die from just hitting the ropes from just standing in front of them and falling into them. It didn't even look like he hit them wrong. He hit them under his arm like you are supposed to.

As mentioned in the regular thread, there was an incident a few months ago when Marco was knocked out from whiplash when he hit the ropes wrong.

A horrible tragedy. One of the guys I was fortunate enough to be able to watch his entire career. I've watched the match three times now and I just don't see how it could have happened, everything looks pretty routine. I'm wondering about a slow-bleed aneurysm as well, as the bumps just seem like he did everything correctly. (Not that I'm going to say that bumps like that aren't dangerous, they are, but it looked like everything was done relatively safely). The 619 didn't even connect, so let's quash that nonsense right now.