DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R4: KAZUCHIKA OKADA vs. RUSEV

RIPPA

KAZUCHIKA OKADA vs. RUSEV  

125 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Imagine if Rusev was brought into New Japan as a modern day Zangiev?  

Now imagine Okada went "wild and young" and was brought in to NXT to be the worst possible combination of Yoshi Tatsu and Randy Orton?

None of that is a particularly good reasons to vote one way or the other, but yeah.  Rusev is awesome and Okada is...well I don't like watching Okada wrestle. 

• Like 1

What was Rusev's best match of the last year? I think Rusev does so many small things right and is probably the best character worker the WWE has at the moment. He's had a lot of damn good matches but the first thing I think of when breaking down for whom to vote is "who had the best matches?" and Okada had better top end stuff than Rusev. I think Rusev is better in terms of consistent psychology (I hate how Okada picks guys up immediately after putting them down - the tombstone->rainmaker combination makes no fucking sense and hurts me deeply each time I see it) but Okada was in some phenomenal matches the last year and while, inconsistent, can tell a compelling story too. Even his feud with Bad Luck Fale post-Tokyo Dome has been good...ish, though some of the better matches fall outside of the eligibility window and were tag matches. This is close in my mind. I wonder how much this has to do with WWE finally booking a monster heel right for the first time since... Yumanga?

And to answer my own question, I think the first Big E PPV match was Rusev's best and I wouldn't say it was a great match by any means. I didn't really care for the Cena match all that much.

That Big E vs Rusev match was pretty goddamn cool.

I thought that was both men's best match to date. Big E's big issue seems to be translating his incredible, natural charisma into the ring. He seems really bland in the ring, which is a damn shame because I think he could be great one day if he finds some in-ring charisma and stops making guys bleed. Maybe that was part of the reason New Day was put together. Try and make him focus on character work in the ring. I don't think it's worked out very well. :(

I know it's subjective but I wouldn't consider any of the Swagger matches great. They were very good but calling them great is a bit of hyperbole. 

I loved both the Big E/Rusev sprints, probably more than others did even. They made me want to watch the two wrestle for the next four months in a meaningful feud. 

• Like 1

That Big E vs Rusev match was pretty goddamn cool.

I thought that was both men's best match to date. Big E's big issue seems to be translating his incredible, natural charisma into the ring. He seems really bland in the ring, which is a damn shame because I think he could be great one day if he finds some in-ring charisma and stops making guys bleed. Maybe that was part of the reason New Day was put together. Try and make him focus on character work in the ring. I don't think it's worked out very well. :(

I know it's subjective but I wouldn't consider any of the Swagger matches great. They were very good but calling them great is a bit of hyperbole. 

Gee, the wonderful writing staff wouldn't have anything to do with Big E getting lost in the shuffle, now would they?

I didn't watch a lot of Drew Mac in WWE, but I understand you guys thought he was the shit. I can see Big E now and know what he's capable of, but he's on the same path Drew Mac was on, which is sad.

• Like 1

Knowing Rusev was smoking Okada in this round, I gave a sympathy vote to Okada.  He strikes me as one of those guys who will have a better showing if not next year then the year after.

But I'll be happy to see Rusev moving on, he had a helluva year.  Like you guys need another reason, but his match with Henry was unforgettable as well.  Mark was on point with the pro USA vibe, and his crying at the end due to Rusev was tremendous.