DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 3/19/15

victor

Interesting show:

* Roman Reigns kicks off tonight’s event. He is interrupted by Mark Henry, who cuts a pro-Reigns promo. Seth Rollins, Kane, Joey Mercury and Jamie Noble interrupt. Kane rips Reigns and Seth teases cashing in his briefcase at WrestleMania. Rollins says security won’t allow Randy Orton into the building tonight. Kane announces himself and Rollins vs. Reigns and Mark Henry for tonight’s main event.

* Paige defeats Brie Bella with a roll-up. AJ Lee was on commentary and Nikki Bella at ringside.

* Intercontinental Contenders Gauntlet Match: Dean Ambrose vs. Stardust to start things off. Stardust is quickly eliminated and attacks Ambrose after the bell. R-Truth is the next man out. Ambrose connects with Dirty Deeds and Truth is eliminated. Luke Harper is out next. Harper eliminates Ambrose. Daniel Bryan is out next. He eliminates Harper by submission. Ziggler is out next. Lots of back and forth action between both men. Ziggler ends up getting the win with the Zig-Zag. After the match, Bad News Barrett comes out to cut a promo. He hits Ziggler in the face, and nails Bryan with the mic. Barrett stands tall after giving the Bullhammer to both men.

* Backstage segment: J&J Security making sure Randy Orton doesn’t get in the building.

* Cesaro, Tyson Kidd and Natalya defeated El Torito and Los Matadores. After the match, Natalya took the Tag Team Title from Kidd and held it in the air.

* Roman Reigns and Mark Henry vs. Seth Rollins and Kane. Henry’s music hits but he doesn’t come out. On the big screen it shows Henry laid out backstage. Reigns is left alone to face both Kane and Rollins with J&J security at ringside. Reigns gets an early beatdown, but Reigns fights back. He hits the Superman punch on Rollins and connects with a spear on Kane for the win. After the match Orton’s music hits. Orton comes from behind and beats up everyone aside from Reigns. Everyone took a RKO except Rollins, who escaped. SmackDown ends.

Ziggler pins Daniel Bryan. Welcome to the mid-card.

This company is booked by monkeys. Would it kill them to mix up the matches a little? How about a Ziggler & Bryan vs Cesaro and Kidd match.

This is one of those things that sound good on paper but in execution would suck. You can't have Team Overrated go over because then you make your Tag Champs look weak. You can't have FACT! go over cleanly because nothing is really gained from it, the Tag champs SHOULD beat a team tagging for the first time. You can't have a schmozz finish because what's the point of even booking the match

So Ziggler and Bryan can blow a double team, blame each other, turn on each other and face each other in competitive matches later?

The point of booking the match is to further the Ziggler/Bryan dissension when they have another miscommunication(this time with Bryan hitting Ziggler), and to give Kidd and Cesarro a win over some non jobbers since there aren't any in the regular tag division.

LOL at saying nothing would be gained from Team Fact going over clean. What exactly are they gaining by going over some jobbers and a little person?

So Ziggler and Bryan can blow a double team, blame each other, turn on each other and face each other in competitive matches later?

Because it makes no sense they're not booked to face each other anytime soon, they have to wrestle 5 other men in a ladder match too. You generally want interactions with all those players so you're not drawing focus away from the other guys in the ladder match.

If you want to have your tag match why not add in the makeshift teams of Ambrose/Truth and Harper/Stardust with BNB on commentary. You can have Ambrose/Truth fuck with BNB, Bryan/Ziggler take out Harper/Stardust, then have Cesaro/Kidd take out Ziggler/Bryan after a miscommunication.

Now that Zigs and Bryan are in the picture we have a clear pecking order in the IC match. And Ambrose, the guy who should be at the top because he started the damn fight to begin with, is smack in the middle. Even though Barrett is finally laying guys out I think he's right in the middle with Ambrose really though so it kind of fits? Ugh, I don't know. Let's just start over. 

I'm guessing it's back to Superstars and Main Event for poor Goldust now too. 

Adding that many people to the IC match was always going to be a problem. BNB/Ambrose/Truth/Harper was a good foundation and I wouldn't have had an issue with just those four being the match.  I can see putting Ziggler in it, because of his bumps and selling acumen.  But Bryan and this match would be have been better served with him used somewhere else.  There has to be someone else to put in the sixth slot, but who escapes me at the moment.

Goldust/Stardust should be nowhere near this.

My guess is that Bryan wanted to have (his version of a) 5-star match with Ziggler at Mania, which was rumored, that got shot down, and he decided instead to convince them to put him in the IC match in order to elevate the title. I really do think that he wants to have a Savage-like run with the title to make it important. Whether they let him do that or not is the big what-if. 

Rock/Cena at 28 wasn't bad, with Cena bring the absolute stiffness (he damn near took Rock's head off with a lariat) and a pretty decent story.

29 is a career lowlight for Cena as a "big match performer" but that's mostly because Rock couldn't move and had no cardio.

• Like 2

Ambrose and Harper had a damn fine match with Harper doing some stuff I've never seen before, like tossing Dean into the second buckle face first and that Fujiwara armbar/face lock sub (there's got to be a name for that; it rules because it seems so simple). Speaking of Fujiwara, Bryan manages to win in the man's own manner with a flash heel hook which is something you never see. Dumbass had to get dumped directly on his head with the half-nelson suplex though. I really think he wants to be in a wheelchair now. (Don't ask me why they cut to J&J backstage while Bryan had just got in the ring. Totally senseless.) THEN him and Ziggler with his bad-dye-job poodle hair have a pretty solid match themselves with a proper ending as Barrett comes out to get his heat, big time. The crowd ate this up and it was really a whole lot of fun. 

Ugh they are gonna fuck the Freebird Rule up so bad if they start using it. Nattie won with the same finish Harper did, ha. 

Nothing else I could say about this show is poignant or nice.

I am rapidly approaching the point where I no longer want to see Bryan wrestle, it's getting close to late-stage Foley. I don't know why Bryan seems to have an unyielding desire to require a feeding tube but he does. Maybe he's trying to prove a point but this is like the 3rd time in as many weeks he's taken a bump right on his head and it's ridiculous and it's uncomfortable to watch. I'm glad that Roman is wrestling Brock at Mania and not Bryan because thinking of the bumps I'd have to see him take in the main event is making me nauseous.

Ziggler needs to do something with his hair, it look terrible. Vince shouldn't even let him out there looking like that, he looks like a shittier poodled version of Dr. D. Aside from Bryan trying to paralyze himself I enjoyed the tag gauntlet and liked the finish to Bryan's match with Harper. Solid show and the main event had some cool stuff in it, I liked the counter spot with Rollins and Roman where Roman Misawa'd him in the back of the head.

You say that like it still wasn't a better match than Cena/Rock.

It wasn't.

Yeah, it was not. They forgot the key stipulation of the match about three minutes in and had a total borefest in every way. 

Looks like they're setting up Mark Henry as Reigns's first guy to feud with after winning the gold, which is a sight better than Show or Kane. I think Henry can get some real heat on himself and get Reigns over on his comebacks.