DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Sting 3-16-15

MGFanJay

I always wonder how much of this is the idiot arena workers. I can't imagine that WWE specifically communicates to the ticket takers how many Daniel Bryan signs are allowed, I just imagine there being some asshole who decides that there's enough Bryan.

• Like 1

Man, people are reaching pretty far to try to absolve WWE of any responsibility when it's very clear they're trying to push Bryan down the card in favor of Reigns. What possible motivation would the arena people have for caring about any of that?

• Like 1

My only problem with the train of thought that Daniel Bryan was being pushed down the card was who's spot was he going to take? Your top five matches were as follows:

Reigns/Lesnar

Sting/Hunter

Rollins/Orton

Taker/Wyatt

Cena/Rusev

Bryan could take Taker's spot but then Taker's pushed down the card, same with Cena. So knowing that you're not putting Bryan in the main event, where does Daniel Bryan go?

The main event anyway?

I thought they built Rusev vs Bryan rather well back during Tribute to the Troops, but then you have the problem of Cena. I still think they should have done Cena/Sting vs HHH/someone though. That's a way bigger match than HHH vs Sting on its own.

• Like 1

Too bad the WWE managed to get their permit tonight to run.

???

Since I don't think anyone answered you

AAA was supposed to have their Rey de Reyes PPV on Sunday (this was the big show with Rey Jr's return)

It got postponned thanks to a monsoon.

AAA announced they were going to run last night.

Probably was that since it was a national holiday - they couldn't get the permit to run the show. (They moved it to Wednesday)

The main event anyway?

I thought they built Rusev vs Bryan rather well back during Tribute to the Troops, but then you have the problem of Cena. I still think they should have done Cena/Sting vs HHH/someone though. That's a way bigger match than HHH vs Sting on its own.

I think putting Bryan in the main event and not winning makes Bryan pretty much rehash Randy Orton last year of never losing the title himself and never getting a one on one rematch for the title. Plus the goal is to not have everyone completely shit on Roman Reigns at Mania, having Bryan in the main event means there is 100% chance the crowd will shit on anyone not named Daniel Bryan winning. And yes I'm one of the few who thinks Reigns can get a good pop beating Lesnar solo in a properly booked match.

Rusev is interesting because post-Cena he still has two feuds just waiting for him with Bryan and Ryback as they were both set up but dropped because the Rumble was here

My only problem with the train of thought that Daniel Bryan was being pushed down the card was who's spot was he going to take? Your top five matches were as follows:

Reigns/Lesnar

Sting/Hunter

Rollins/Orton

Taker/Wyatt

Cena/Rusev

Bryan could take Taker's spot but then Taker's pushed down the card, same with Cena. So knowing that you're not putting Bryan in the main event, where does Daniel Bryan go?

That's the whole thing. Mania was set up with no plan for Bryan. You can come up with a reasonable explanation for why Bryan is not in the main event. People may not agree with it, but it theoretically makes sense. You can't come up with an argument for why there was no big Mania angle for Bryan.

The card didn't have to look like that.

When I see the IC feud, I see the three faces (Bryan, Ziggler and Ambrose) people actually get excited about being shoved into the midcard. 

Ha if there's one thing they should be telling non-wrestlers before they get out there, it's not to get out of the ring that way. I caught most of the big angles, but the only match I saw was Nikki/AJ. Nikki has gotten really good, but AJ's stuff looked anticipatory and telegraphed. Glad they got some time, not bad at all, but not noteworthy.

Sting looked spry tonight. He's clearly in better shape than his debut at Survivor Series, and I think he's determined to have a good showing with HHH. They actually did something to get me excited for the match, so there's that.

Okay but where are you putting Bryan. That's the question how are you re-arranging the card to put Bryan on it. I'm assuming Vince wants the following Sting to have a one on one with a heel,  Taker to stay with the hokey Wyatt gimmick. I guess you could move Cena out of the Rusev feud, put Bryan there and move Cena into the Orton/Rollins feud.  So here's an option:

Regins/Lesnar - WWE WHC

Sting/HHH

Bryan/Rusev

Rollins/Cena/Orton - MITB

Wyatt/Taker

But I wonder what means more, Rusev over Cena or Rusev over Bryan. Obviously the company feels the former will mean more.

Pretty much. All three had pretty ready made matches for Mania, too (Bryan with Lesnar, Ambrose with Rollins, Ziggler with Triple H/Authority) but have been passed aside for three guys who didn't need to be in those positions. They could have even had Sting face Orton and then had Reigns win the IC title. It was all so easy. This idea that there was no room for Bryan is absurd. You MAKE room for the most over guy in the company, geez. It's not like Rollins/Orton or Taker/Wyatt or whatever else was so important that you couldn't fit him in somewhere, or that this card is just so hot there's not enough wiggle room to mix it up a bit. And it's also not like he returned 2 weeks before WrestleMania and there genuinely wasn't room. The only one of those things that truly started before his return was Triple H/Sting. All the rest could easily have been changed. They even had Orton return back to the authority, negating how hot that whole thing was (in theory) anyway. It's ridiculius. 

• Like 1

Okay but where are you putting Bryan. That's the question how are you re-arranging the card to put Bryan on it. I'm assuming Vince wants the following Sting to have a one on one with a heel,  Taker to stay with the hokey Wyatt gimmick. I guess you could move Cena out of the Rusev feud, put Bryan there and move Cena into the Orton/Rollins feud.  So here's an option:

Regins/Lesnar - WWE WHC

Sting/HHH

Bryan/Rusev

Rollins/Cena/Orton - MITB

Wyatt/Taker

But I wonder what means more, Rusev over Cena or Rusev over Bryan. Obviously the company feels the former will mean more.

if you're really insistent that Reigns/Lesnar, Sting/H, and Taker/Wyatt are all set in stone, you could easily have Bryan face Cena, Rollins or Rusev. But he could also have faced Triple H or Lesnar (without the title). It just seems you're taking the WWE self-fulfilling prophecy route that lets them make up these ridiculous excuses. Bryan's their most over guy by far, and would have been even more over if he was treated as such coming back from injury. Therefore the rest of the card is built around him. It's not rocket science. 

Under what criteria is Daniel Bryan the most over guy in the company? Is he outselling Cena in merch now? Are his television segments drawing the most viewers? Do the house shows he headlines sell more tickets than everyone else? Does getting the loudest chant really mean most over? I dunno.

Fun show last night. Good promo by Reigns, but I agree, his new t-shirt blows. Rusev's Texi-Russian lawyer was fantastic, and STING looking like he gives a shit was good.

Who knew that all they had to do to sabotage #GiveDivasAChance was put AJ back in the ring? I figured we would be subjected to endless Cameron/Summer Rae/Eva Marie segments.

• Like 2

I have no idea on the numbers but certainly he was drawing more viewers last year than Reigns is now, no? But sure, number two to Cena if you want. But I feel you've already made your mind up with "most over chant". It's just the Yes chants, of course. 

Under what criteria is Daniel Bryan the most over guy in the company? Is he outselling Cena in merch now? Are his television segments drawing the most viewers? Do the house shows he headlines sell more tickets than everyone else? Does getting the loudest chant really mean most over? I dunno.

That's the dilemma. What do you do when you have performers who are far more popular with your sizeable diehard base than with the masses?

Do you attempt to come up with a way to make everyone happy or do you cool off your popular performers so your uninspiring A storylines don't get sabotaged? 

Not that anyone's paying attention to this anymore, but the reason the cosplayers were "resuited" when the guys behind commentary weren't is just that: the guys behind commentary only show up when they do shots of the commentators. The guys last night would've been on screen every time they shot from the hard cam, i.e. about half the night.

When I worked at my previous job, it was my job to try and make the other jocks on the schedule with me "stars." I was over...WAY over with our listeners. The other two "talents" were the bosses daughter (a leaden lump with the personality of soap) and the engineer (an oddball that didn't want to do anything on air and skipped half of his recorded shows.) I was expected to put the leaden lump of daughter on the air with me during my noon show every day to try and "make people like her" and link her on my facebook page to help "grow her brand." It didn't work. She sucked then. She sucks now. She'll suck forever. (see what I did there?)

Moral to the story, the boss pays the bills and, whether he's wrong or right, he gets his way, even when his Roman Reigns daughter isn't as good or over as his Daniel Bryan Ramsey because he/she doesn't have the talent.

I have a beard, so the analogy works.

• Like 2

That's the dilemma. What do you do when you have performers who are far more popular with your sizeable diehard base than with the masses?

Do you attempt to come up with a way to make everyone happy or do you cool off your popular performers so your uninspiring A storylines don't get sabotaged? 

This is why have a undisputed champion wasn't such a good idea. You could easily put the WWE title on Reigns at Mania and put the World Heavyweight on Bryan. Keep Reigns on RAW, Bryan on SD. You don't need a full brand split so workers can be on both shows but keep the main titles as a brand exclusive.

• Like 2