DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R3: AJ STYLES vs. CAVERNARIO

RIPPA

AJ STYLES vs. CAVERNARIO  

105 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE CAVERNARIO

I swear to god, the GAY COMMUNITY!? interview had to be almost 10 years ago.

Has he had anything to say about that, you know, recently? I have no idea. But it seems dumb to be holding one bad moment against him a decade later, especially if nobody has followed up with it. People's views can evolve. Like I said, I don't keep up with a lot of his intereviews these days, but just in general, he seems like a very different dude from where he was back in the early 00's.

• Like 4

Eva, at the time he had a really strong following in that community.  It didn't strike me as a sound of disdain, more like he was very surprised by that.  I don't recall anything being said since then, but his anti-Obama stuff is recent.  If people are going to harp on his views, a better case could come from his appearance on the Talkin' Shop podcast.

But wasn't it Tatsu's fault for curling up and landing on his neck on the Styles Clash instead of arching back and landing on his face?  Who else did he cripple?  And c'mon bad accidents happen all the time in wrestling.  Do people still hate Owen Hart for breaking Stone Cold's neck?

It's not fair to speak ill of the dead. Owen's a SAINT!

• Like 1

If I'm watching an AJ Styles match, I usually enjoy it, but I rarely seek them out. I feel like you know exactly what you're getting from Styles at this point in his career and you either a fan or you're not. He's super athletic and fun, but that's about it. He's one of the few wrestlers to adopt a brooding, intense gimmick without getting any more brooding or intense in the ring. He just started doing the calf killer.

A wrestling caveman is far more pro wrestling than AJ Styles. It also helps that Cavernario is awesome. Vote for him.

One of Bix's finest moments

Bix had fine moments?

Has he had anything to say about that, you know, recently?

No offense, but logically wouldn't have to say something recently to refute past statements and display said philosophical evolution. 

If he said something recently that reflected his older views, then he's still the same dickwad he's always been.  If he says nothing at all, then it wouldn't be a stretch to believe he's still holds the same level of intolerance he's always had.

I'm not invalidating your position because we're all wrestling fans and we find new and creative ways to forgive our favorite workers and let them off the hook of fate while being totally judgmental towards other workers.

I'm not invalidating your position because we're all wrestling fans and we find new and creative ways to forgive our favorite workers and let them off the hook of fate while being totally judgmental towards other workers.

Was going to make a Benoit comment but I remembered people actually HAVE done that with him, (just not here,) so I'm just going to say "fuck everybody" and get back to work.

One of Bix's finest moments

Bix had fine moments?

Has he had anything to say about that, you know, recently?

No offense, but logically wouldn't have to say something recently to refute past statements and display said philosophical evolution. 

If he said something recently that reflected his older views, then he's still the same dickwad he's always been.  If he says nothing at all, then it wouldn't be a stretch to believe he's still holds the same level of intolerance he's always had.

What did he say on the clip that was so offensive?  I listened to the video posted, sounds like he was the one being repeatedly trolled about having a gay following in Bix's? efforts to rile him up. 

And no one has posted any evidence or direct quotes from AJ saying anything hurtful to anyone.

It wasn't so much what he said; it was how he reacted.

If he were smart, he'd have just laughed it off.  If he were really smart he'd have been all, "Hey, I can't help it if I am so damned good looking that I make everyone swoon."

Let's take out his views on gays and politics out of the equation for a minute.  And while it did happen in the match, maybe even take out the times he injured somebody.  If we're going strictly on how he performs in the ring would he have had a better chance?  People like his matches and he's popular with different groups.  Would that be enough to pick him over Cavernario?

The only way those callers would be considered trolls is if they were aware that AJ is a bigot (which wasn't general knowledge before this) and were calling to incite that reaction.

And yes, it was the reaction itself that was the problem. A disgusted "the GAY community?!?!?" followed by them cutting off the caller, then another caller pointing out that he had a question until he realized AJ is a bigot and then wanted to take him to task about that, then *that* caller being cut off. Followed up with a "they are coming out of the woodwork." Would love to know what was meant by "they."

It wasn't so much what he said; it was how he reacted.

If he were smart, he'd have just laughed it off.  If he were really smart he'd have been all, "Hey, I can't help it if I am so damned good looking that I make everyone swoon."

Yeah I can agree with that.  But like NickMD said, i'm sure it was surprising to him, how can anyone know how he truly felt at that moment?  Who here wouldn't be surprised to know they were popular in some niche fetish market? I can also choose not to be offended and realize that "The GAY COMMUNITY?" is how most 20 something year olds from Georgia would respond when being trolled on their sexuality. 

The only way those callers would be considered trolls is if they were aware that AJ is a bigot (which wasn't general knowledge before this) and were calling to incite that reaction.

And yes, it was the reaction itself that was the problem. A disgusted "the GAY community?!?!?" followed by them cutting off the caller, then another caller pointing out that he had a question until he realized AJ is a bigot and then wanted to take him to task about that, then *that* caller being cut off. Followed up with a "they are coming out of the woodwork." Would love to know what was meant by "they."

:lol: c'mon that was clearly a couple guys fucking around with him and ribbing him to insinuate he's gay or popular in the gay community to try and piss him off, and it worked.

:lol: c'mon that was clearly a couple guys fucking around with him and ribbing him to insinuate he's gay to try and piss him off, and it worked.

It really wasn't. They had a valid point and Dave and AJ were being ignorant.

I think AJ's gotten a bit better with the heel persona but I'm still not a huge fan of his work. Generally, when he's having great matches he's not the biggest reason why I'm enjoying them.

I'm not high on Cavernario as most on here are and I hate the splash to the outside but I think he's had a better year than Styles had. AJ being a closeminded dinkerton in the year 2015 does help my decision.

:lol: c'mon that was clearly a couple guys fucking around with him and ribbing him to insinuate he's gay to try and piss him off, and it worked.

It really wasn't. They had a valid point and Dave and AJ were being ignorant.

I think AJ's gotten a bit better with the heel persona but I'm still not a huge fan of his work. Generally, when he's having great matches he's not the biggest reason why I'm enjoying them.

I'm not high on Cavernario as most on here are and I hate the splash to the outside but I think he's had a better year than Styles had. AJ being a closeminded dinkerton in the year 2015 does help my decision.

All this other talk does is distract from his in-ring performances and people talk about everything else but his matches. Dave & AJ wanted to talk about wrestling just like some people here just wanna talk about the wrestling and not obfuscate it with all this other stuff.

The second caller tried to point out that AJ was being a bigot and wanted to question Dave why he abruptly cut off the first caller.

I think AJ has gotten a lot better than the TNA flippy days where he'd have a series of spots. He's slowed down substantially in New Japan (less so in the indies from what I've seen) and I think he's gotten much better for it. He's had a few disappointing big matches from the voting period and still generally isn't my cup of tea in terms of style but he's had a very good year overall. I can pretty easily vote for Cavernario without any of the political and social issues AJ has brought on himself.

Yeah, I already went into why AJ sucks at wrestling regardless of whether or not he's a bigot (he is), so I'm not sure what SolidGoldBomb is trolling about. Someone already invoked Benoit so we can go ahead and shut this shit down anytime.

If the thread gets locked because of these kinds of shenanigans, does that mean Cavernario wins early?

I can't decide if this thread is worse than a couple years ago when someone tried to say that the El Generico gimmick was offensive and racist.

Anyway, ignoring AJ's political leanings, he still has the worst gloves, the worst tattoos, and terrible hair. We've talked about the NXT bump some performers are experiencing in this tournament, but I think AJ is getting the same thing from New Japan. If he had the exact same quality matches in ROH, PWG and CZW, he would have been largely ignored. I say this as a fan of AJ's in ring year, at least in comparison to his previous years.