DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R2: ADRIAN NEVILLE vs. CESARO

ADRIAN NEVILLE vs. CESARO  

133 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I'm not really seeing how Cesaro had a better 12 months than Neville. He started off red hot and then failed to work himself out of the hole WWE put him in. Vince gave him a shot, however limited and not playing to Cesaro's strengths as it was, with the promo after the Austin podcast and all the brass ring shit. He fucked the promo up and then shat the bed in a brutal match with the returning Barrett (again, bad booking to have a guy redeeming himself in the eyes of his critics to then lose to a returnee). I think the world of Cesaro but he hardly covered himself in glory with very few standout matches on TV or PPV and while I think he's a top 5 guy in the world in terms of in-ring talent, it wasn't there enough to make people care about him in whatever limited and poorly constructed role he was given.

Neville started off poorly, as the champion nobody connected with or cared about, and has since become a fiery, intense babyface that is believable if not flashy in the charisma and interview department and very good-to-great  in the ring. In many cases, the argument of who carried whom is overblown by people, but I thought the Balor/Neville match was one of his best performances and I would argue he made what could've been a spotty, move-centred match into a rather thrilling and engaging encounter. It was built around Neville playing a bit more defensive than usual against the painted up Balor and then building up to hitting the big top rope moves where the top rope was equated with doom. I didn't get as much out of the Owens match as many on here did but it was still another good match for his resume. The two Zayn matches were about as good as WWE in-ring storytelling get and I would say there hasn't been a match under the WWE umbrella that told as compelling a story as Zayn/Neville from December since Austin vs. Hart from WM 13. There are probablybetter WWE matches in-between those two bouts but not in terms of bell-to-bell storytelling in my opinion.

This isn't really close in my eyes. I could see Cesaro catching fire again and going on to win the tournament next year but this ain't his year.

Can Cesaro go back to the Dean Malenko theme song he was using before Real Americans?

Blaming Cesaro on having a down year thanks to Vince not knowing what his strengths are is bogus. Not hearing it.

Neville was one of the most improved wrestlers on the planet in the last year, but that doesn't make him better than Cesaro. Don't let the fact that Cesaro isn't near the top of the card blind you to the point that he was the best wrestler on WWE TV in the past year-plus. 

• Like 1

Blaming Cesaro on having a down year thanks to Vince not knowing what his strengths are is bogus. Not hearing it.

Neville was one of the most improved wrestlers on the planet in the last year, but that doesn't make him better than Cesaro. Don't let the fact that Cesaro isn't near the top of the card blind you to the point that he was the best wrestler on WWE TV in the past year-plus.

This is a silly standpoint IMO, the voting is based on the last year, and Neville had a better one then Cesaro.

• Like 1

Then take your fingers out of your ears and maybe you will hear it. If Cesaro had been given more to do post-Mania, he probably could have had better matches, and that's not saying the matches he had were bad. Like I said when I voted, Cesaro is a better wrestler than Neville. Neville, however, had the better year.

This is a silly standpoint IMO, the voting is based on the last year, and Neville had a better one then Cesaro.

What made it better? I said year-plus, but that doesn't mean the extra few months dating back to the Regal match in December of '13 accounted for my reasoning. If anything, I've loved the fact that in spite of how he was booked that Cesaro went out and had the year that he did. That's way more impressive than being booked to have great matches with better workers for the last year and improving along the way.

I keep seeing people say Neville had a better year but not backing it up with reasoning.

Neville's best match was with Zayn. That's better than anything Cesaro did. I'll give you guys that.

But if you wittle that down to say, a Top 10, Top 25, Neville's list looks awfully thin. Cesaro's year was filled with the Sheamus series, assorted good TV matches, his stuff with Tyson Kidd, etc. He was way more consistent, and people touting the Balor match as something akin to the match with Zayn is hilarious to me. Especially considering his match with Owens smokes that match.

I'm not saying it's a landslide. But on a full year scale, I don't see how Neville's year is better than Cesaro's unless you are weighing one match over all his other ones, really.

MOTYCs? As in plural?

Does Neville really have more match depth than Cesaro who has the good/real good tag stuff with Kidd, the Sheamus series, the July match with Cena, the Ambrose brawl (which I thought was overrated to be fair, but is rate it at the level of or above some of the Neville stuff in this thread), the last of the Real Americans v Rhodes stuff which was in the voting period, the Cara match, the Rowan Superstars match from Dec...I will grant Nevilles best stuff is more memorable because if the booking and presentation of NXT. And his best match was better than Cesaros. But good match depth? Eh.

I tied it at 45-45 with a vote for Neville. I deferred to a good friend of mine who doesn't follow any kind of backstage stuff, and her intuitions seemed to follow the emerging narrative of the thread, being "a few great matches outweighing a very high floor of competence. "

Cesaro's booking didn't do him many favors this year, and Neville's completely plausible turns from bland flying technician to dickish competitor to furious avenging eclipsed Cesaro's meandering.

All I keep hearing people talk about are matches. I could give two shits about some throw away match between Cesaro and Sin Cara that not even the people booking it give a damn about. I give much more credit to Neville for helping build the best post Mania story in WWE delivering in and out of the ring to help build that year long story to a fever pitch and deliver a wonderful payoff. That to me is what pro wrestling is about not a bunch of throwaway matches in a vacuum on the C-show.

Full disclosure: I have not watched a Neville match yet (and no I am not going to because I've already run out of net time for videos, downloads etc. this month and the time doesn't turn over for another 13 days) and I really had no plan to vote unless the finals looked interesting. But, this is my boy Cesaro. And y'all fucked up in letting Bryan die the death that WWE already has in store for him in the brackets so SPITE!

C'mon folks, grab that brass ring!

yo this is definitely a grueling match-up, but when I think about it, PAC came up as the dude who could do more flips than other dudes, and Claudio came up as (well okay, first as a sleazy indy looking fake rich dude with really cheap gear) an unimaginably strong dude with the dream body for wrestling, a really nice overall old school feel about everything he does and an ability to make anyone he can possibly face look like a million bucks