[MM15] R2: ADRIAN NEVILLE vs. CESARO

ADRIAN NEVILLE vs. CESARO  

133 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

ADRIAN NEVILLE

vs. Rob Van Dam

http://rutube.ru/video/98e5a642008992568d9c6a7dd908de0d/?ref=search

vs. Tyson Kidd

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2fvv0a_tyson-kidd-vs-adrian-neville-wwe-nxt-1-28-15-1st-rd-match-nxt-championship-no-1-contender-s-tourname_sport

CESARO

vs. Jack Swagger

http://youtu.be/LONaJUXuK-s

And just since I stumbled across it - a match between the two. IT IS OUTSIDE THE VOTING PERIOD (not that that fact really stops people in their voting)

This one is as brutal as Bryan/Lesnar... Cesaro has been studly throughout the year, but due to the way he's been booked there hasn't been the high volume of excellent work that we've seen from Neville. I gots to go with the Man That Gravity Forgot.

I don't think there is a single thing Neville does better, nor did he have a higher volume of good matches in the relevant period as far as I can tell. The best you could say for him is that his best match was better than Cesaros best match.

The Zayn feud, and the Owens matches put Neville over the top for me. Neville has been given a lot of high profile matches, and angles in NXT and has largely delivered the goods. Even the non wrestling stuff with Sami was decent.

Cesaro is a beast, but the last time I looked forward to one of his matches was the Sheamus match from Payback. If someone other than an out of touch Al Davis clone was booking WWE Cesaro would be in the final four.

Last night, I watched the recent Cesaro Main Event matches with Sin Cara and Jack Swagger.  The Cara match in particular is getting pretty slept on.  Cesaro, like everyone in WWE, is a guy who has his spots that he goes to, but his match with Cara felt like some '92 WCW Saturday Night match where they were going back and forth, with Cesaro's strength versus Cara's speed.  It felt like an actual competitive match, and it was not a formulaic "Let's hit our spots and go home."  

Neville has been great recently, especially with the matches against Zayn and Owens, but I had to give it to Cesaro.

If you're even slightly on the fence, check out the Sin Cara match before voting.  It felt like the kind of B-show match that started getting Cesaro noticed before his "big push" last year.

This is simply a booking hole. Cesaros outstanding, but had a year with some good stuff, but just has a general sense of disappointment surrounding him. Neville on the other hand is a hot guy here. He's had his best work in recent months, he's showed some real improvement lately and has genuinely became a favorite. It's heavily booking based, but this is like Breeze/Goldust to me, except Neville had a better year then Breeze.

This is simply a booking hole. Cesaros outstanding, but had a year with some good stuff, but just has a general sense of disappointment surrounding him. Neville on the other hand is a hot guy here. He's had his best work in recent months, he's showed some real improvement lately and has genuinely became a favorite. It's heavily booking based, but this is like Breeze/Goldust to me, except Neville had a better year then Breeze.

Out of curiosity, is the "disappointment" with Cesaro solely a booking thing, or are there matches he's had that have been disappointing?

Out of curiosity, is the "disappointment" with Cesaro solely a booking thing, or are there matches he's had that have been disappointing?

He himself has not been bad, but his year being such a giant step down from where he really should be if not booked like shit makes it look worse then it was.

He himself has not been bad, but his year being such a giant step down from where he really should be if not booked like shit makes it look worse then it was.

Yeah, he want from someone that could have been "the guy" following the Andre the Giant battle royal, to being booked into oblivion. Even this tag team with Kidd looks like a stop gap before he's future endeavored. People wanted to cheer him so fucking badly and so the "brilliant" thing to do is stick him with Heyman, have Heyman do nothing but talk about Brock and not promote Cesaro, and just have him lose all the fucking time. Heyman's a big fan of Cesaro too, so why he didn't step in and say that that was fucking dumb is beyond me.

Anyway, Cesaro just had nothing to do in the last year. In my eyes, he was treading water, not doing anything that made him so special because he didn't even have a platform to do any of that stuff. It's not Cesaro's fault.

That said, looking at the year each guy had, Neville clearly had the better year. I don't even see how you could argue otherwise.

• Like 1

I actually don't see what the argument for Neville as the "clear" superior is unless it is based around booking.  What great Neville performances and matches were there?  I'm not saying Cesaro had a great year, or even that many people would have noticed the good performances he had, but what what great run of matches did Neville have?  People keep citing the Zayn match which I'm all in on, and the Owens match which I liked, but didn't think was great, and didn't think was a particularly impressive Neville performance (more to the point, I think Cesaro has had at least a few matches this year I would rate as at least as good as that, if not definitively better).  I'd like to hear people talk more about Neville's run over the course of last year.  I may not agree with the conclusions drawn, but I'm generally interested to hear what the argument is.  

As a side note, I do wonder if Ishii would have had a better head-to-head shot v. Neville, than Cesaro does

The Zayn series is enough for me to say he had a better year than Cesaro.  (Also, murder via Owens, and the Balor match.)

I honestly think it's hard for a lot of us to admit that AC is way down from the same point last year.  Especially since it means both finalists from last year will be out in the first week and a half of the tournament.  

In Neville's corner:

• His dramatically improved mic work, being a subtle heel in the feud with Sami and wanting vengeance for what KO did
  • The NXT tag match from Raw
  • The 4 way for the NXT championship
  • Any of the matches vs Sami Zayn
  • The match against KO
  • The Finn Balor match
  • Neville's match against Titus O'Neil for the NXT championship

There's a bunch more too, but those all immediately spring to mind.

What Cesaro performances are bad? Even Dylan said that he was lazy in late summer early fall, or what not, but I don't remember those. I remember the Sheamus series and I remember the Cena match and I remember the tag with Kidd.

He feuded with Sheamus for a hell of a long time and the matches we have, televised, on PPV, and house shows, were all pretty great. 

I think it would be interesting to go back and look at the March Madness results of people who had good/notable matches with Cena.  Cesaro and Bryan definitely benefited from it last year, while Rusev and Brock seem to be benefiting from it to some degree this year.  Anecdotally, there seems to be a little more emphasis on booking this year as well.

A lot of it has to do with the booking. Nxt right now is light years ahead of the main roster in establishing character and motivation. During the Zayn feud, everything with Neville just clicked. We got who he was. A super talented up and comer face, who would fight and claw and do whatever it took to be on top. 

After years on the main roster, I still don't know who Cesaro is. Most of that is not his fault, but it's a problem. 

• Like 1

In Neville's corner:

• His dramatically improved mic work, being a subtle heel in the feud with Sami and wanting vengeance for what KO did
  • The NXT tag match from Raw
  • The 4 way for the NXT championship
  • Any of the matches vs Sami Zayn
  • The match against KO
  • The Finn Balor match
  • Neville's match against Titus O'Neil for the NXT championship

There's a bunch more too, but those all immediately spring to mind.

Can anyone argue against this snippet of Neville's resume from the last year? What does Cesaro have to combat this?

I mean, this is both a quantity and a quality thing.