DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: TYSON KIDD vs. SETH ROLLINS

TYSON KIDD vs. SETH ROLLINS  

133 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Rollins was too good in the Shield tags from March to May and had the WWE TV MOTY with Ambrose. I've got to go with him.

That's not to say Kidd didn't have a good year. The Cesaro team has been a breath of fresh air the last few months and Kidd's been really good as a tag worker. I also liked his matches with Sami Zayn too.

I thought it was between Kidd, Zayn, and Rollins for best WWE (and NXT) performers of the year. This is a damn shame they have to match up at this stage. Kidd went from a technically proficient guy I couldn't give two shits for to one of my favourite characters, complete with cat kickpads and great mannerisms. I think I may throw him a pity vote because he's likely to get slayed.

I didn't realize how tough this would be.

Seth has had a killer year with the Shield and without.  He's stepped it up in a big way and is proving why he should be one of the top guys.  Against many others I'd easily pick Rollins.

But Tyson is one of the most improved guys in quite some time.  He went from being the talented guy nobody cares about to a talented guy with shit tons of personality.  You could thank NXT or even Sami for that, but who knew that being a cat-loving chikenshit heel  would revitalize his career like it has?  Tyson is just awesome in what he does.  Toss in teaming with Cesaro and it it only adds to how awesome he is.  He's definitely worth voting for, but there's that feeling that it'd be a sympathy vote due to Seth.

Normally I'd vote right away, but there's that feeling I'll need the weekend to think about this.  But I'm really hoping this isn't a one-sided match.  He deserves so much better than that.

Why this was a no-brainer for me was that, as good as Tyson's been, Rollins has really been one of the few saving graces of the main roster. With him, the Authority angles are occasionally tiresome. Without him, the Authority would be two heels that don't work and two heels the crowd couldn't care less about.

I love Tyson, and am so happy he's been given another chance to shine on the main roster (and is making the most of it). I applaud Seth for the way he's been able to maintain his heel heat throughout the year, but I still find him boring on the mic, and lacking the ability to get me emotionally invested in his matches on a consistent basis. Also, I don't know what Kidd's dick looks like, which is another point in his favour.

Kidd had a really great year and turnaround. He was a true joy to watch in NXT.

But this is Seth Rollins. He's this year's Daniel Bryan in terms of being the guy the TV has been anchored around. He's hit it out of the park, too. Great slimebag who also had a recent mainstream breakout. His list of good/great matches is innumerable.

I'll freely admit that Tyson Kidd- Super Worker is part of the DVDVR Hive Mind that I don't quite buy in to. I still think he struggles to wrestle like his character, and his matches feel a bit exhibition-ey for my taste. I am probably wrong about this, but I'm okay with being wrong, he's just not for me. 

Seth Rollins is one of a handful of guys that Raw would have been clearly worse if he hadn't been a part of it. I think he has been the glue holding the top of the card together for the past 5 months. There is no more difficult position to be in and he has been tremendous at it. He has managed to stay over and come across as a viable threat despite looking like a goof repeatedly because he ends up getting the comeuppance for Steph and HHH (and Big Show and Kane, bizarrely). He has been one of the best in ring guys in WWE, and has proven that he can work like a heel or face perfectly. 

I'm gonna be real: Seth Rollins is mediocre as fuck. Great offense for a face, but he's supposed to be a scheming heel. Shitty when he's on top in heel control segments. His mic work, I give him a bit of a pass on because he's warbling the hack prose of monkeys on typewriters each week, but he is not any good at that "talky heel with a larger-than-normal vocab for a pro wrestler" thing they make him do. Third best thing in the triple threat, which was his best match last year. His second best match was the 5v5, where I'll admit that at times, he worked like a scheming, methodical wrestler trying to help take out the other team one by one. 

But no, I do not look forward to Rollins on my screen at this point. 

Tyson Kidd re-invented himself, "Fact" and "God bless" are two of the best little catchphrases in the company, he works like a mean, vicious little shit when in control as a heel, his strikes are good, he looks like a great wrestler who is also a great athlete instead of an athlete who happens to be wrestling if that makes any sense. I would put any of his major NXT matches up there with Rollins's work, and his character work in many matches (such as Kidd/Gabriel vs. Zayn/Rose) was really engaging and fantastic as well.

Kidd is better, flat out, than Rollins. I honestly think that if they built him seriously to have Rollins's exact spot, right now, he'd be a thousand times better in that spot. 

I'll freely admit that Tyson Kidd- Super Worker is part of the DVDVR Hive Mind that I don't quite buy in to. I still think he struggles to wrestle like his character, and his matches feel a bit exhibition-ey for my taste. I am probably wrong about this, but I'm okay with being wrong, he's just not for me. 

You saying that he struggles to wrestle like his character made me think of "Ask him in French!" and the eye rake while trying to apply the sharpshooter, which has me leaning towards Rollins.

I think Rollins is slightly overrated, and I like Kidd better from a "holistic" standpoint, but I think the three way is a better match than Kidd has had.  

Building off of Matt's point, I think Kidd would have done more with the Daily Show bit than Rollins did, which was really just generic smug bad guy.

I think Kidd is better at everything, but Rollins has too much volume, and too many really good matches to vote against. If Kidd had a blow away great singles match maybe I could justify it. I thought his best performance was probably in the 4 way. Kidd was so great with his character work in NXT I hate to vote against the guy especially for someone he's better than. I have to give Rollins credit for elevating pretty much everyone he was in the ring with, and being one of the very few guys in WWE to get over as a heel.

I'll remind people that no one thought heel Seth was going to work as a big act, and not only has it worked but he is so far the only younger guy to just smoothly make himself an upper midcard fixture. He's completely bypassed the Cursed Belts, and became a big player the instant they needed a big player. Plus, his match resume for the year includes the Evolution matches, the Ambrose Lumberjack match, and the Triple Threat. Pretty varied set of stuff, all done really excessively well.

I think this is the best year of Tyson Kidd's career, and I think this is a brutal draw for him.

I voted for Kidd, even though I think Rollins had the better in ring year, because A. I thought the Kidd/Natalya stuff at NXT was better than anything similar that Rollins has done and B. Up until very recently I would literally change the channel or fast forward through any segment where Seth Rollins was speaking.  I do admit he has gotten somewhat better recently in that regard, but for months I couldn't stomach the idea of his 2000-era HHH tribute act clogging up fifteen to twenty minutes of every show.  Just horrendous stuff, and against a guy with a lot of stuff I enjoyed in the voting period that sinks him.  

Rollins has suffered because he has been a bit overexposed. He seems to be in like 5 segments each week and everything kind of blends together. He's obviously great in the ring and his heel mic work is quickly improving.  As boring as those 15 minutes monologues can be, that's not an easy thing to do. He is only going to get better.  

Kidd for me is all in the details. He's one of the few guys who not only do I go out of my way to watch his matches, but I'm at complete attention waiting for the little heelish touches. 

If I knew how to post gifs, I'd post Kidd looking at Breezes get up and going "This better not be cat fur."

Someone else said it first, but if Kidd had been w Cesaro having good matches all year, Id vote Kidd. Even though Rollins doesn't do it for me, he's been of higher quality this year...