DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: HECHICERO vs. SAMI ZAYN

HECHICERO vs. SAMI ZAYN  

103 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I'm not voting in this but I am throwing my FULL SUPPORT for Sami to win this, with the full caveat I know nothing about indies/Japan/lucha/etc.

It's really insane to believe that a dorky guy who likes ska-punk in 2015 could be the best wrestler on TV that can be regularly seen.

I've said it a bunch but his history of making everyone he interacts with look better is just unreal. I can't remember anyone doing that. Maybe Flair in his prime? Bret? Those dudes knew how to build up their opponents so wonderfully well. Sami's obviously not at those absurd levels yet. But for a guy who has been working without a mask and doing regular promos for not a very long time, it's insane.

Renee Young might owe her career to Sami. She's the best out-of-ring personality the WWE has had in years. Her reactions to the material she's presented with are gold. Sami was the first person she interacted with that really let her do that. She stood out because of their somewhat flirtatious/friendly personalities.

Cesaro has had a ridiculous amount of A+ matches, obviously. But his series with Sami was his best work. Those two classics they had were so great in how they played off each other. I'm sure it's well outside the time period, but the end of their 2-out-of-3 falls match is one of the best endings to a match in years. The one that I think is in the time period (the first live NXT thing) had the great uppercut counter to Sami's tornado DDT through the corner deal, which is one of the best spots going.

Tyson Kidd was such a charisma suck in previous incarnations. He's now one of the best acts in the company. This was largely because of his slow-burn turn in his feud with Sami. Sami stayed true to himself as a face. Tyson cracked and became a conniving jerk who used his wife to beat Sami in a critical match, and eventually showed his true colors by immediately tapping out to Sami's submission -- the most gutless shortcut there is.

Bo Dallas is tied with Bray Wyatt for my favorite character in wrestling. Bo's amazing delusional babyface comedy work really could not have worked without Sami being the face anchor to play off against. If Sami wasn't there and he had to do the Mr. NXT/flee from Full Sail bit against Adrian Neville... It wouldn't work as well, since Neville doesn't have Sami's charm.

Neville has improved so much these past few months. Again, he had what's probably the best feud of the year against Sami. He went from personality-less amazing high-flyer to a great shade-of-grey willing to cross a line Sami won't in order to get ahead. Their final match was an even better version of Hart/Piper from WrestleMania 8, which is one of my all-time favorite matches. Sami holding the title like it was something from Lord Of The Rings and caught in its spell with a chance to knock out Neville but eventually keeping true to himself and winning was the second most fulfilling end to a match of 2014, only topped by Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania.

Tyler Breeze cemented himself as a top-line guy in his upset of Sami.

Kevin Owens becoming the most compelling character in NXT as quickly as he did doesn't happen without his diabolical turn and plotting and manipulation of Sami. Sami falling for his plot felt real and it happened without Sami looking like a chump. Sami would do ANYTHING for a revenge shot against Owens. KO knew that from their history and used it perfectly.

Dude made Titus O'Neil compelling and had good matches with him, too. That's a miracle.

Sami had one of the all-time great years.

• Like 1

So if you had to point to Hechiceros best match in the voting period, what would it be?

Because it would take an absolutely other-worldly performance for me to consider voting him over Zayn (and even that's probably not going to do it), but if it's out there I'd at least like to see it to give him a fair shot.

Hechicero vs Cavernario's En Busca de un Idolo final is probably the match that best shows his case for BEST GOSH DARN WORKER IN THE WORLD IN 2014. Takes a match that could have easily fallen apart and turned it into something even more awesome. 

Sami Zayn is the king of the WWE match; there is no doubt about that.

But quite honestly outside of Negro Casas there is no one else this year I'd rather watch wrestle then Hechicero (maybe Virus).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xq8z6_cavernario-vs-hechicero-in-a-en-busca-de-un-idolo-match_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zxnpe_hechicero-vs-cavernario-in-a-en-busca-de-un-idolo-final_sport

Here are two matches from the En Busca de un Idolo tournament.  Now granted his opponent is Cavenario Barbaro, who is no slouch himself, but these are just awesome matches.  In a way it's sort of his Sami vs Cesaro matches; two very talented wrestlers hell-bent on showing everyone how awesome they are.

The first match builds up to the title match in the second video.  In the first match he makes you want to see more of him tangling with Guerrero Maya Jr and in the second he Cavenario just bring the greatness.  

Here's Hechicero in Monterrey taking on Caifan and just rocking the planet.

And don't just stop there, go check out his other En Busco en un Idolo matches, or go track down any trios match he's in so you can see how much he brings to even the most mundane matchup.  Heck just go to Cubsfan's site, click on the best of 2014 and type in Hechicero, you'll find even more then I posted here.

Bottom line, Hechicero is amazing. 

*EDIT: I am terrible at Dailymotion*

• Like 1

This is such bullshit. I didn't get to watch too much Hechicero from the last year but it's obvious he's a fantastic worker. On various people's WOTY lists, I've heard him as high as #1 on more than one. Him not going on while Sato or Zack Sabre Jr. do (Who had good years, but not nearly as good as Hechicero) is pretty bad. This matchup shouldn't have been on here until the Sweet 16 at the least.

Cesaro has had a ridiculous amount of A+ matches, obviously. But his series with Sami was his best work. Those two classics they had were so great in how they played off each other. I'm sure it's well outside the time period, but the end of their 2-out-of-3 falls match is one of the best endings to a match in years. The one that I think is in the time period (the first live NXT thing) had the great uppercut counter to Sami's tornado DDT through the corner deal, which is one of the best spots going.

Unfortunately, the Arrival special was at the very end of last year's voting period.

I've been writing about Hech before 2014 to get a feel of early Hech, so I can't do much in that regard.

I love the rudo side in the match Phil picked though though, so so much, and it'll be good for some of you who haven't seen much Cavernario or Virus either. I would have probably picked the tag title match too, so there you go.

Most of what I would have posted has been posted. A lot of the best stuff is probably the Black Terry Jr. taped stuff which isn't freely available.

I have no issues with Zayn but the SAMI ZAYN - SUPER WORKER~! stuff is overblown.

I would like someone to point me to the Zayn matches that were against someone who isn't an above average worker.

(And for the record - I would have voted for Zayn over at least 80% of the field.)

Mmmm.... dreamy dreamy Hechicero

I have to qualify this be saying that I really liked Zayn last year, and I think he's better now than he's ever been.  I also think he is the best babyface in the WWE, though it's worth noting that is a low hurdle to cross.  Having said that I think he's probably trending toward becoming the most overrated wrestler in history at this point.  The hyperbole surrounding him is so extreme that  I almost wish I could shut off all discussion about him entirely and watch his matches independent of the rhetoric, as the absurd praise usually results in me rolling my eyes through legitimately good matches and performances. 

Zayn is a very good wrestler.  Maybe even a great one at this point.  He is not one of the best wrestlers of all time.  Not yet anyway.  He's also not as good as Hechicero.

Zayn has been booked well and is a good face, but I don't think he's got the range Hechicero has as a worker.  I have never seen Zayn save a match from imminent death the way Hechicero did in the En Busca de un Idolo Finals v. Cavernario.  I consider Hechicero every bit as good a rudo as Zayn is a face, he's just not been promoted/pushed as a centerpiece the way Zayn has.  Hechicero is one of the best matworkers in the World and a rare wrestling innovator who uses his powers for good and not evil.  He's a deceptively good flyer, and excellent at weaving his big spots into his more general asskicking moments.  This isn't really Sami's fault because of the nature of NXT, but I also think Hechicero had a higher volume of both good and great matches during the relevant time frame. Hell I thought his run during En Busca (and Cavernario's run too to be honest) were better than Zayn's NXT run.  

I figured coming into this that Zayn would crush him and I think Zayn has a very strong chance of winning the whole thing.  That's fine, I don't hate the guy.  But I don't think he's in Hechicero's class either.

• Like 3