DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, Ace said:

Today is the 27th anniversary of a poor decision by Robin Ventura.

"Maybe Nolan will understand how mad I am if I run out there and HUG HIM REALLY HARD!"

On 7/14/2020 at 10:24 PM, Pete said:

Former MLB pitcher Sergio Mitre under investigation for... I can't even write it out. You've been warned.

I should have listened to the warning. If he did this, there's a special place in hell where Mitre has the train run on him by Satan, Jeffrey Dahmer, and John Wayne Gacy.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I should have listened to the warning. If he did this, there's a special place in hell where Mitre has the train run on him by Satan, Jeffrey Dahmer, and John Wayne Gacy.

Unfortunately he isn't ending up in Hell because even Satan has standards.

On 8/1/2020 at 3:50 AM, Tabe said:

Fair enough. That's more than just him not kneeling. 

I assume Coonrod is referring to the "disrupt the (...) nuclear family" plank of BLM but I obviously don't know. 

I will say this though - no one should get grief for not kneeling, same as no one should get grief for kneeling. 

Here's the full quote from the BLM website, because, yanno, context. Honestly, the entire statement is interesting and kind of wholesome.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

I'm shocked that everyone is sleeping on Coonrod's line about not kneeling before anyone besides God. First off, I'm willing to bet good money that he isn't the only Christian on the team... by framing his refusal to kneel in that manner, he threw all of those teammates under the bus because he's just that much better a Christian than they are, by cracky. Some teammate.

Secondly, there's this (comments are now "limited," quelle surprise):

Are you really going to tell me he didn't take a knee when he proposed? I dunno, I'm part of the tribe so maybe I just don't know the ritual. Do y'all walk over to the lucky lady, whack her with a bible and tell her "congrats, we're engaged?"

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

Here's the full quote from the BLM website, because, yanno, context. Honestly, the entire statement is interesting and kind of wholesome.

I'm shocked that everyone is sleeping on Coonrod's line about not kneeling before anyone besides God. First off, I'm willing to bet good money that he isn't the only Christian on the team... by framing his refusal to kneel in that manner, he threw all of those teammates under the bus because he's just that much better a Christian than they are, by cracky. Some teammate.

Secondly, there's this (comments are now "limited," quelle surprise):

Are you really going to tell me he didn't take a knee when he proposed? I dunno, I'm part of the tribe so maybe I just don't know the ritual. Do y'all walk over to the lucky lady, whack her with a bible and tell her "congrats, we're engaged?"

Their marriage was arranged decades ago. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The person in question is Ryan Christenson.

Not a good look from the A's bench coach. I don't care that he apologized. Oakland needs to fire this piece of shit and be done with it. BTW, the A's manager, Bob Melvin is Jewish. That's going to make for some awkward conversations between the two.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Christenson says the whole thing was born out of an attempt to be more COVID-conscious.

"Today in the dugout I greeted players with a gesture that was offensive. In the world today of [COVID-19] I adapted our elbow bump, which we do after wins, to create some distance with the players."

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/07/oakland-as-ryan-christenson-nazi-salute-game-apologizes/

Riiight...

Um, that looks fairly fucking blatant and then he does it again afterwards to pretend like he was kidding or something. Who knows what he said.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Um, that looks fairly fucking blatant and then he does it again afterwards to pretend like he was kidding or something. Who knows what he said.

It looked like Hendriks showed him the reich way to do it.

Astros' hitting coach Alex Cintron apparently decided it was a good idea to challenge an A's player to a fight after first insulting his mother.  He then ducked behind his own players when the challenge was answered.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29634884/a-outfielder-ramon-laureano-says-vile-remark-astros-hitting-coach-spurred-brawl

On 8/8/2020 at 4:05 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Your usual reminder that Johnny Damon could be (and probably has been) outsmarted by a squirrel or clever bird.

My sister dated him for a while when he was a minor-leaguer and I can confirm that he is a world-class dumb guy.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 5:05 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Your usual reminder that Johnny Damon could be (and probably has been) outsmarted by a squirrel or clever bird.

Wasn't Damon one of the high profile players since the Red Sox/Yankees feud went to DEFCON 1 to switch teams? Of course that's the guy who wants Fenway to reopen to fans...

IIRC, we were told to keep the Astros stuff in this thread. Emphasis mine.

"The people who took the fall for what happened is nonsense," Kelly said. "Yes, everyone is involved. But the way that [sign-stealing system] was run over there was not from coaching staff. ... They're not the head boss in charge of that thing. It's the players. So now the players get the immunity, and all they do is go snitch like a little b----, and they don't have to get fined, they don't have to lose games."

"When you take someone's livelihood ... to save your own ass, that's what I don't like," Kelly said. "Cheating? They cheated. Everyone knows they're cheaters. They know they're cheaters. It's over. That's been there, done that. But now they mess it up by ruining other people's lives, so they f---ed it up twice. ... When you taint someone's name to save your own name, this is one of the worst things that you could probably do. ... That really friggin' bugs me. I think I'll be irritated forever."

Kelly spoke of how much he cared about Cora, and how Cora's life has been changed by the fallout. Cora would love to explain what happened, Kelly said, "but he hasn't, because he's a respectable man. So when [the Astros] lie" -- by deflecting blame onto staffers -- "that doesn't sit right with me."

"Maybe they have called [Cora] and said, 'Hey, I'm sorry.' Or called Luhnow and said, 'Hey, I'm sorry.' Or called Hinch, and Beltran. ... If they had said, 'Hey, I'm super-scared, I didn't know what to do, I didn't want to lose money, I had to rat.' ... Grow a pair of balls and say that."

Kelly said he didn't want to talk to the Astros players, "because they're not respectable men to me."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29651830/los-angeles-dodgers-joe-kelly-sounds-houston-astros-players-handling-sign-stealing-investigation

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Proud graduate of the Marge Schott School of Broadcasting, Thom Brennaman:

Oh jseus O god... is this the first sign that COven has convened and her re-emobdiment is emanant?  We all got complacent it's been so long...damn our dam eyes!

• Haha 1

You may or may not have heard that Steve Bannon was arrested today for defrauding and embezzling a LOT of money through a Super PAC today. One baseball sidenote to just keep an eye on.  One of the members of the board of the Build the Wall PAC?   

Spoiler

Curt Schilling

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You may or may not have heard that Steve Bannon was arrested today for defrauding and embezzling a LOT of money through a Super PAC today. One baseball sidenote to just keep an eye on.  One of the members of the board of the Build the Wall PAC?   

Hide contents

Curt Schilling

LOCK HIM UP!!! 

Edit: I just found out that he blocked me on Twitter for some reason lol

Edited by Infinit
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2020 at 11:27 AM, Tabe said:

Astros' hitting coach Alex Cintron apparently decided it was a good idea to challenge an A's player to a fight after first insulting his mother.  He then ducked behind his own players when the challenge was answered.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29634884/a-outfielder-ramon-laureano-says-vile-remark-astros-hitting-coach-spurred-brawl

What does Alex Cintron know about hitting other than that he had a hard time doing it.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hide contents

Curt Schilling

Why does this not surprise me in the slightest?

• Like 1