DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: ADRIAN NEVILLE vs. PENTAGON JR.

ADRIAN NEVILLE vs. PENTAGON JR.  

98 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I love Neville and will surely vote for him...in later rounds.  I know he's going to win, but feel a need to give a sympathy vote to Pentagon, Jr.  The guy is too damn good to get blown out like that.  Especially given his current push in LU, he went from "another guy" to one of the most feared men on the show.

EDIT:  If he only gets three votes, I'm okay with that.  It's better than none for Pentagon, Jr.

I have to say this is the most mystifying result to me so far.  I should probably come around here more often because I'm legitimately amazed people think Neville is great.  I mean he's fine.  He's not bad.  He can have good matches with the right opponent.  But I also think he's been badly exposed in the WWE system, and I don't think he's shown that he can lead a match from the top at all.  I think he's one of the few guys who was better before NXT got him than after and I wasn't even much of a Pac fan.  

Meanwhile Pentagon Jr. is one of the absolute best asskickers in wrestling, with an awesome look, and really good matches to boot.  

This is probably the most "WTF?" result of the tourney so far.  

Prior to coming into this thread I had no clue there was a world where people thought Neville had been great in NXT.  I suppose deep down I always knew it was possible people believed that, but I'd never seen that opinion expressed anywhere before.  Not once.  So it's completely new to me. 

Having said that, citing hateful, violent offense as a reason to vote for Neville in this match up is comical.  Pentagon Jr. is pretty much the god of that.  It's what he does.

Good to no which thin Dylan is going to be 100% wrong about.

Neville is the only guy I've ever seen mak a 450 Splash a "I fucking hate you" move and be believable.

Neville is a million times a better and my personal favorite for the whole tournament, but Justin Gabriel had some pretty vicious 450 splashes at the beginning of the Nexus storyline.

Dylan, for various reasons I've been harsh on Neville almost all year. I think he's turned a corner at some point recently. Let me find what I said about the Owens match since you didn't see it:

I want to do a write up at some point about what differentiates Adrian Neville from other high flyers since I can't normally stomach the spotty style but Neville makes it work.  Considering the match up had a 450 to the floor, a dead lift German suplex and a reverse rana, I never really thought it was overkill.  Meanwhile I have this emotional revulsion to The Young Bucks even when it comes to GIF form.

Let me try to hack at this. I saw AJ Styles vs Naito last week and thought AJ's beatdown of him was great, but when it came time for Naito to get his revenge, there was nothing behind his pretty offense. There was no intensity, speed but not any sort of visceral hatred. I get the reputation of being anti-physical skills sometimes, but the idea, in my mind is that athleticism is just a tool in the tool box and you have to use it as part of a greater whole instead of using it as a crutch so you don't have to call upon more character-driven elements of wrestling. 

In that match, he not only used a 450 to the floor and it wasn't overkill, but he made it feel hatefilled and intense. He made it not a flourish or showing off or something ridiculous for the sake of looking kewl, but you actively got the idea, because of his physical skills and how he was successfully utilizing them that the move hurt more than if he had just done a splash. Almost no one in the world is able to wrestle like that. And i don't think Neville was able to tap into that as well six months ago either. It's giving his athleticism consistent meaning and purpose in a way I've rarely seen and it's great to see him come into his own like that.

I watched the Owens match the other day. I thought it was fine, above average, but not anything special either.  I thought the match was actually TOO grounded because Neville has no clue how to work a match from on top in an interesting fashion.  

I think Dylan and I have completely different views on what is good wrestling and what wrestling should be at this point.  I personally think maybe you should build to breaking a beer bottle and carving up a guy with it.  Dylan considers that an appetizer that should happen less than three minutes into a match.  I skipped ahead a bit and saw pants tearing and light tubes and blood but no reason to care about any of those things.  Because they started with the beer bottle!  No sorry, they started with taking a picture with a 10-year old girl.